N2Xs Out of Stacked Baltic Birch Plywood

nrenter

Re: N2Xs Out of Stacked Baltic Birch Plywood
« Reply #40 on: 14 Aug 2010, 10:03 pm »
How difficult would it be to veneer a stacked baltic birch plywood speaker?

It also would be cool to change the front baffle design so it "sets into" the "box", and fab the front baffle out of granite.

johnnycopy

« Reply #41 on: 15 Aug 2010, 05:37 pm »
How difficult would it be to veneer a stacked baltic birch plywood speaker?

It also would be cool to change the front baffle design so it "sets into" the "box", and fab the front baffle out of granite.

This might give you some idea
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2399

But all's well that ends well with an honest builder!
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2742

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:07 pm »
They're here! They're here!

I have nine pairs in stock.

These are beautifully cut and have small dowel pins used to align them so is real easy to put together. Wall thickness is 1". The front baffle is MDF and its thickness is also 1".

I just pulled a pair out of the box for pics:

Having boxes made like this is not cheap, but I made a trade out deal with the guy that made them to cover the cost of stuff that I sent to him. I got a pretty good deal by having several made at once too. I plan to just pass that savings on to my customers and not even mark them up over my cost.

After shipping, customs clearance, and duty the cost per pair is right at $650.

So get them quick while I have them. Nine pairs is it, and only $650 a pair.

An N2X in a cabinet like this will make an incredible speaker.

praedet

« Reply #43 on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:26 pm »
I want one of the pairs!  How do I get a set!

HT cOz

« Reply #44 on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:29 pm »
Wow amazing!  These are going to make some happy campers!!! :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:33 pm »
I want one of the pairs!  How do I get a set!

E-mail me all of your shipping info, phone number, etc.

info@gr-research.com

Then call me anytime Monday with CC info.

940-592-3400

Be sure to let me know what options ou want on the kit too. You can see those at the bottom of the page: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148

Thanks,

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:35 pm »
Out of each stack there are three of them with braces. The way that they are stacked in the pics was just for shipping. Obviously they get evenly spaced out.

praedet

« Reply #47 on: 15 Aug 2010, 07:50 pm »
e-mailed  :green:

nrenter

« Reply #48 on: 15 Aug 2010, 08:08 pm »
Where would you mount the speaker binding posts? Bottom of the speaker, towards the rear?

srb

« Reply #49 on: 15 Aug 2010, 08:20 pm »
Where would you mount the speaker binding posts? Bottom of the speaker, towards the rear?

I would probably file a flat recess in the back radius and install them spaced vertically.  The back spine is thicker than the sides (1-1/2" + ?), and you would also want a flat surface to tighten a nut against on the inside, so flat bottom countersinks would probably need to be drilled from the inside with a Forstner bit.

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2010, 11:55 pm by srb »

jn316

« Reply #50 on: 16 Aug 2010, 01:04 am »
They're here! They're here!

I have nine pairs in stock.

I thought there were 10 pairs delivered, Danny. I wonder what happened to the other one?  :scratch:

Gary  :green:
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2010, 03:38 pm by jn316 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 16 Aug 2010, 01:29 am »
I thought there were 10 pairs delivered, Danny. I wonder what happened to the other one?   :scratch:

Gary  :green:

Sold.  :thumb:

I would probably file a flat recess in the back radius and install them spaced vertically.  The back spine is thicker than the sides (1-1/2" + ?), and you would also want a flat surface to tighten a nut against on the inside, so flat bottom countersinks would probably need to be drilled from the inside with a Forstner bit.

Steve

Better yet, the kit comes with the Electra Cable tube connectors. They easily mount in any thickness and no internal nut is needed. All you have to do is drill a 7/16" hole for them.

audioferret

« Reply #52 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:44 pm »
...Be sure to let me know what options ou want on the kit too. You can see those at the bottom of the page: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148

Just to be sure, does the quoted price include a basic N2X kit, or does the kit have to be purchased in addition to a $650 cabinet?  This is killing me as I have the demo pair playing right now... :(

PS: Who is next in the demo list?

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:04 pm »
That price is just for the cabinets.

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 19 Aug 2010, 09:57 pm »
I still have some of these on hand.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #55 on: 20 Aug 2010, 12:34 am »
I think someone should buy two sets of these cabinets, double stack them, make your own baffle and go with the MTM design :thumb: N3X?

Construct

« Reply #56 on: 20 Aug 2010, 12:36 am »
Those look "neaterer"  than heck.  Sad I missed the deal...

HT cOz

« Reply #57 on: 20 Aug 2010, 12:42 am »
I can't believe these didn't sell out faster than an U2 concert !

dmatt

« Reply #58 on: 20 Aug 2010, 09:19 pm »
Recieved my Baltic birch kit today.

I have only had a chance to open the box and inspect the items -- I have not checked for fit yet.

But some words on packaging and quality of the wood:

The GR box is about 26" X 17" X 16" and 41 pounds (just the enclosures, I already have the speaker kit).  The wood is well secured and surrounded by rigid foam.  The baffles and top/bottom are further protected by being wrapped in heavy craft paper.

The speaker enclosure top/bottom measures about 9.5 inches at widest and 16" deep (not including the 1 inch MDF baffle).  The sides are made up of 12 layers and stacked are about 11 1/4" tall (not including the top and bottom).  So that's a speaker about 9.5 inches wide by 13 1/4" tall by 17" deep.

The wood is a 17 ply laminate (counting both veneer faces) and measures about 24mm (almost 1 inch).  Note:  While I was waiting for my box to arrive I went online and tried to learn more about Baltic birch, the largest ply I typically saw for sale was 13 ply at 3/4 inch (18mm), I did see mention of a 18 ply 25mm version.  And, of course, I saw this copy at the Magico site (my bolding for emphasis): "At the heart of the MINI's enclosure are 16 horizontal layers of extremely stiff, 1", laminated, 17-ply Baltic Birch plywood. The result is an enclosure that is three times stiffer than enclosures fabricated with the vertical MDF construction techniques typically found in high-end loudspeakers." 

In the laminate along the stacked portions there are some small voids (1/2 inch long) -- small and few in number.  The best part is that when I unwrapped and checked the top/bottoms, I found only one patch ("football") on an inside surface -- the outer sufaces are blemish free.  I am guessing this is B/BB grade Baltic Birch -- nice stuff.

Other than painting/veneering the MDF baffle, the rest can be finished au naturel.

Given the thickness and quality of the wood in the GR kit, anyone considering a BB enclosure like this could do a lot worse.  For wood alone, the internet shows Baltic Birch 3/4" 13 ply B/BB grade 5' by 5' sheets costing about $70 to $90 each and you would need two (not including shipping).  Obviously the 1" stuff in this kit would cost more.  Add to that the cost of 1 inch MDF baffles and CNC/router mill work.

No relationship with Danny other than satisfied customer.

David

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #59 on: 20 Aug 2010, 09:54 pm »
BB ply? Why not try "panzerholtz"  .... it's bullet proof!

http://www.delignit.de/canada/delignit/products/wood/delignitpanzerha.html

The turntable boys have already caught on to this stuff ... to bad mucho $$$