PI audio group: UberBUSS, RevB and MajikBUSS

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
PI audio group: UberBUSS, RevB and MajikBUSS
« on: 30 Mar 2010, 03:34 pm »
Well, after some (a lot, really) encouragement to do so, I am opening this thread to answer any and all questions concerning my power filtration units.  I have been active on the GR Research Forum and there is extensive history there, so I felt it was time to 'fess up so here it is:

"Hi, I'm Dave and I'm an audio addict"!   :D

Thanks to a great bunch of customers and friends.  It is people like you that keep me doing all of this and make me think and reach down deep for new ideas and help me to keep the juices flowing.

No, I won't tell you what is inside and no, there will not be a discussion of other's products shortcomings.  Other than that I look forward to any and all comments concerning the BUSSes.

Rock on.

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: PI audio group: UberBUSS, RevB and MajikBUSS
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2010, 03:36 pm »
I like my Buss!   :thumb:

What's the difference between the Majik and RevB?  Heck what about between those and the Uber?  What makes them different?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2010, 04:00 pm »
I like my Buss!   :thumb:

What's the difference between the Majik and RevB?  Heck what about between those and the Uber?  What makes them different?
Jason,

Good questions. 

The Majik was my first product.  It had the first iteration of what I call the EMI/RFI Brick and Power Factor Correction network.  Next came the Uber, which could be called a 'double Majik' in a common case.  It is a little more than that.  I use ERS cloth in the Uber and there is none in the MajikBUSS.

The RevB came about as a unit that was initially going to be called the SuBUSS.  It has a slightly upgraded Brick and the PFC network from the Uber.  This unit is very dynamic like an Uber and works well for all around use.  The Uber is still superior for heavy duty work as well as being the best unit to use for digital sources.  The EMI/RFI blocking and dissipation that it does makes digital circuitry happy, happy, happy.

I have a unit in prototype stage that will be made specifically for a growing niche market: dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC.  This giant killer is an amazing piece of gear.  The designers did a terrific job in power supply design and it really doesn't benefit from what the Majik, RevB and Uber have to offer.  It is THE ONLY piece of gear that I have run across that has this characteristic.  Eric Hider and his design team are on top of what makes for world class digital conversion.  I think that I have figured out what will make this first class DAC a 'bit' better (insert pun there) and that is all that I can hope for at this time.  Price is TBD after it gets past the prototype stage.  I will not release the unit unless it does what I think it will do.  I do not sell hype and it has to live up to my (and other's) expectations.

That about covers it, I think

Thanks again for the questions.

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2010, 04:04 pm »
So the RevB is actually a step up in performace but not for digital?  So the RevB would be best for subs or amps?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2010, 04:15 pm »
So the RevB is actually a step up in performace but not for digital?  So the RevB would be best for subs or amps?
It works really well as an all around performer.  Amps and subs love it.  This is not to say that digital doesn't benefit from it, far from it.  Digital sounds amazing through it.  The Uber, is like its' name, Uber when it comes to SOTA performance in all aspects.  Digital reproduction with power supplied by the UberBUSS really has to be heard to fully understand what I am talking about.

It is that classic choice of three:

MajikBUSS - very good
SuBUSS - better
UberBUSS - best

with pricepoints to match $595.00, $749.00, $995.00.

Dave

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2010, 07:08 pm »
I love my MajikBUSS too :D  I run a DAC, transport, squeezebox, and integrated amp off it.  This is our testing system in the 'build room' and it really makes an improvident. 

Anyway, just wanted to say I dig it.  Dave is a great guy and very helpful.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2010, 07:54 pm »
I love my MajikBUSS too :D  I run a DAC, transport, squeezebox, and integrated amp off it.  This is our testing system in the 'build room' and it really makes an improvident. 

Anyway, just wanted to say I dig it.  Dave is a great guy and very helpful.
Thanks, Sean.  I appreciate the support of other companies and people that are doing the same thing that I am striving to do:  supply music lovers with the highest performance and quality products at reasonable prices. 

Are you going to the LSAF?

Dave

mcallister

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2010, 08:04 pm »
I'm interested in the majikbuss but have a question. I use an Earthquake cinenova 5 amp for my surround channels and it says to plug the amp directly into the wall. Would I be able to plug the Cinenova into the majikbuss?

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2010, 08:19 pm »
Not this year, sorry to miss you guys again :(

Are you going to the LSAF?

Dave

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2010, 09:58 pm »
I'm interested in the majikbuss but have a question. I use an Earthquake cinenova 5 amp for my surround channels and it says to plug the amp directly into the wall. Would I be able to plug the Cinenova into the majikbuss?

Many amp manufacturer's recommend their amps be plugged into the wall, Odyssey Stratos comes to mind but that doesn't mean plugging them into a power conditioner will harm them in any way. Many power conditioners are said to limit dynamics of amps (something I've yet to experience with my twin 3 channel Butlers into a BPT) but Dave's Buss's are nonlimiting power flow and even the smallest MajikBuss is built to withstand 30-35 amps(I forget which). These filters will not limit the power flow to your Cinenova. But would it be of noticable benefit?  :o  Only you can determine that and the only way that'll happen is if you spring for the $15 return shipping and try a free MajikBuss demo from Danny. I dare say poor Danny's had many MajikBuss's returned,,,,, cuz everyone wants the UberBuss after being blown away by the free demo.  :lol:  Guilty as charged.  :oops:   :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2010, 10:19 pm »
There is no reason that the Earthquake cannot be plugged into the MajikBUSS.  I'm quite sure that they do not want their amps plugged into any type of generic power strip.

Dave

Simm

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:23 am »
I am using two big monoblock amplifiers plugged directly into two separate 20 amp dedicated circuits with a third dedicated 20 amp circuit feeding a power strip for the lower wattage components. I have some questions concerning the ÜberBUSS:

1. Might it in anyway lessen the available power to a large, power hungry amplifier? (In general, the amplifier's manufacturer recommends nothing between the amp and the power outlet in the wall.)

2. Assuming a benefit to the amplifiers and my desire to maintain the dedicated circuits, would three ÜberBUSSs be therefore needed? I notice that custom configurations are possible. Can three Über units be put into one box with three separate power feeds to possibly(?) save some shelf space?

Any information will be appreciated.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:40 am »
I am using two big monoblock amplifiers plugged directly into two separate 20 amp dedicated circuits with a third dedicated 20 amp circuit feeding a power strip for the lower wattage components. I have some questions concerning the ÜberBUSS:

1. Might it in anyway lessen the available power to a large, power hungry amplifier? (In general, the amplifier's manufacturer recommends nothing between the amp and the power outlet in the wall.)

2. Assuming a benefit to the amplifiers and my desire to maintain the dedicated circuits, would three ÜberBUSSs be therefore needed? I notice that custom configurations are possible. Can three Über units be put into one box with three separate power feeds to possibly(?) save some shelf space?

I will let Dave respond to your other questions..as I make my own answer up.  :D

If you are going to think about purchasing three Ubers, then I HIGHLY recommend you read this thread. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78133.0

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:47 am »

What is considered a large, power hungry amp?

My amps pull 500 watts each when turned on.  jtwrace's amps pull 800 watts each when turned on.

Neither of us have had any issues when using an UberBuss.  In fact, both of us feel that inserting the UberBuss or MuthaBuss has improved things.

jtwrace, hope you don't mind me stating what you have posted publicly.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:48 am »
What is considered a large, power hungry amp?

My amps pull 500 watts each when turned on.  jtwrace's amp pull 800 watts each when turned on.

Neither of us have had any issues when using an UbderBuss.  In fact, both of us feel that inserting the UberBuss or MuthaBuss has improved things.

jtwrace, hope you don't mind me stating what you have posted publicly.

George

As normal, George is correct. 

I can't say enough good things about the Uber or Mutha. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:51 am »

Hi, Thanks for the questions, especially since they are easy ones.

1. No
2. Yes

See how easy that was? 
 :eyebrows:

The Uber does not current limit in any way other than what is done by the connectors (inlets and receptacles) used.  As I have noted elsewhere, the conductors used are good for 40+ amps all day long in chassis wiring configurations.  There are no series elements used.  The inductance is < .003mH in the UberBUSS.

I can build any type of custom configuration desired as long as the configuration is one that meets safety and sanity requirements.  I can certainly build a unit that houses three independent 20A circuits.  No problem.  That is the beauty of the Uber Concept is its' adaptability.

Let me know how I can help.

Thanks again for the questions.

Dave

Audioclyde

« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2010, 01:45 am »
Hi guys,

I just sent Dave the funds so I'm buying a ticket on a custom Uber Buss  :D; now I just have to be patient until Dave can get the parts, get it built and to me for install!

I gotta say if the improvements are 50% of what I keep reading, I'm thinking I'll be a happy camper.

Randy

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2010, 01:51 am »
Hi guys,

I'm buying a ticket on a custom Uber Buss  :D;

I gotta say if the improvements are 50% of what I keep reading, I'm thinking I'll be a happy camper.

Randy

What is custom about it?

It will be...and you'll be as well.   :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2010, 01:58 am »
Hi guys,

I just sent Dave the funds so I'm buying a ticket on a custom Uber Buss  :D ; now I just have to be patient until Dave can get the parts, get it built and to me for install!

Randy

Just be sure to post your impressions Randy after you've been comfortably seated on the UberBuss Express. Me, I've been off the Buss for a week now and I'm getting a little antcy to get back on that smooth clear ride again. Come on FED-EX!!!  :hyper:

Once I get back on the UberBuss Express , I ain't ever getting off.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Audioclyde

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2010, 10:59 am »
What is custom about it?

It will be...and you'll be as well.   :thumb:

Nothing exotic, just an extra receptacle & some Furutech Gold.

I will be sure to report back after I've been on the Buss for a while  :D.