New RAAL Monitor

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
New RAAL Monitor
« on: 8 Mar 2010, 07:14 pm »
I had a customer contact me looking for a compact 2-way for an office / desktop system suitable to nearfield listening. For $1,600/pair these are quite nice...

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Re: New RAAL Monitor
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2010, 08:27 pm »
More details - this is a sealed box system with the RAAL 70-20XR ribbon tweeter and SB Acoustics 6.5" woofer. 6 ohm impedance (average) and 4.75 ohm minimum.

tkam

• Head-Case
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2010, 03:00 am »
I happen to be the lucky owner of these monitors and as Rick mentioned I am using them in a nearfield setup.  The Raal ribbon tweeter really is something special and IMO is in another league compared to the fountek ribbons.  Don't get me wrong the fountek's are fine tweeters but the raal is pretty spectacular, it's crystal clear, and very smooth.  The sb acoustics woofer has been a bit of a surprise to me, it's matches up with the raal quite well and doesn't have any trouble keeping pace.  It's a quick little driver and considering the small size and sealed nature of the speaker it has plenty of kick and has good extension.  I could see adding a small sub at some point but I wouldn't say that one is required.

This is my 2nd pair of speakers from Rick the 1st being the 3D that he showed at RMAF several years ago.  Thanks Rick!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2010, 03:55 am »
Love that black matt finish (the plates and the mid/woof texture even seem to match), the cabinet shape, and use of the RAAL.  Maybe one day these will find their way into the Smithsonian for design.  I think they are that beautiful.  And a sealed box!  Rick, you have guts and I admire your integrity. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2010, 04:57 pm »
I happen to be the lucky owner of these monitors and as Rick mentioned I am using them in a nearfield setup.  The Raal ribbon tweeter really is something special and IMO is in another league compared to the fountek ribbons.  Don't get me wrong the fountek's are fine tweeters but the raal is pretty spectacular, it's crystal clear, and very smooth.  The sb acoustics woofer has been a bit of a surprise to me, it's matches up with the raal quite well and doesn't have any trouble keeping pace.  It's a quick little driver and considering the small size and sealed nature of the speaker it has plenty of kick and has good extension.  I could see adding a small sub at some point but I wouldn't say that one is required.

This is my 2nd pair of speakers from Rick the 1st being the 3D that he showed at RMAF several years ago.  Thanks Rick!

Thanks for your kind comments on the sound. Speaking of the 3D, I've been considering a new 3-way design with a dipole mid and the RAAL ribbon anchored by a 10" or 12" woofer.

EthanH

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2010, 05:30 pm »
Thanks for your kind comments on the sound. Speaking of the 3D, I've been considering a new 3-way design with a dipole mid and the RAAL ribbon anchored by a 10" or 12" woofer.

That sounds like an interesting design.  I'm curious if you have ever played with the Mundorf AMT drivers?  They seem like they would work great in a semi-open baffle speaker.

tkam

• Head-Case
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:18 pm »

I was actually wondering if it's possible to swap the Fountek in the 3D for the RAAL  :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2010, 08:16 pm »
That sounds like an interesting design.  I'm curious if you have ever played with the Mundorf AMT drivers?  They seem like they would work great in a semi-open baffle speaker.

I've read about them but haven't worked with the AMT drivers. If dipole radiation is desired into the upper octaves then a rear-firing RAAL would be my first choice.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2010, 02:38 am »

I don't think this is a very good idea Rick. I would have to find a wayto bring in a pair of these and I have too much on my plate at the moment so you are just going to have to hold off for a while till I'm ready :lol:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2010, 04:56 pm »
I don't think this is a very good idea Rick. I would have to find a wayto bring in a pair of these and I have too much on my plate at the moment so you are just going to have to hold off for a while till I'm ready :lol:

Well maybe I need to make a trip to NY.  :wink:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2010, 06:43 pm »
Well maybe I need to make a trip to NY.

You are always welcome Rick.
 I can send you a list of all the speakers I want you to bring with you :eyebrows: (just kidding)

Even the monitor that is the subject of this thread is very intriguing .

Rob S.

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2010, 08:30 pm »
Bill,  you may want to check out the veritas he just completed.  I had them for a couple of weeks and found them to be outstanding.  small/ heavy 2way with Raal & SS illuminator, sealed cabinet and blends great with a hi end sealed sub.   Check the thread in this circle.

Rob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2010, 08:33 pm »
Hello rob,
 Yes I have seen this speaker and it too looks interesting. What I really want to hear..... :drool: