WTB- Music Reference RM-10 mkii or RM-9 Mkii

rrboogie

WTB- Music Reference RM-10 mkii or RM-9 Mkii
« on: 7 Mar 2010, 01:07 am »
I am very interested in trying out one of these amps. Let me know all the details such as manufacture date, tube set, extra tubes, original box and manual etc.
Cheers, Bob

bmr3hc

Re: WTB- Music Reference RM-10 mkii or RM-9 Mkii
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2010, 04:47 am »
I am very interested in trying out one of these amps. Let me know all the details such as manufacture date, tube set, extra tubes, original box and manual etc.
Cheers, Bob

Bob
There is a Music Reference RM-10 Mk2 on Audiogon for sale.

Henry

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2010, 02:50 pm »
And an RM9 MkII on ebay.

rrboogie

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2010, 04:02 pm »
I missed out on the one on the 'Gon. I will contact the ebay seller with the RM-9 mkii. What do these normally sell for on the used market?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2010, 04:05 pm »
18-ish

I missed out on the one on the 'Gon. I will contact the ebay seller with the RM-9 mkii. What do these normally sell for on the used market?

rrboogie

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2010, 04:07 am »
I bought the RM-9 mkii on Ebay. I can hardly wait! Thanks for the tip.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2010, 12:57 pm »
Sure thing!  Let us know your thoughts after you've had a while with it.

rbwalt

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2010, 04:52 pm »
make sure the input tube sockets are not lose on the board. that is a sore point with the rm9's. i had problems with mine. usually happens when you start tube rolling. pulling them out and inserting new ones loosens the solder joints on the board. so beware. this is one case where all hand wiring is better. roger did this on the rm9se and on the rm10's. i am not sure about the 200's. other wise enjoy the mkII. i had one for 11 yrs. it is a classic.

rob.

rrboogie

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2010, 11:30 pm »
Thanks for the heads up rbwalt. I don't plan on changing the tubes as factory fresh ones were installed before  I bought mine. I am in aural bliss. I am just trying the 4 ohm taps with my Merlin TSM Mxe and the sound is very smooth (less distortion?). It makes for a very relaxed listening experience.

rbwalt

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2010, 02:18 pm »
hey rrboogie. great choice of speakers. i have VSM MXe's with the new master bam and rc's. i have mine on the 8 ohm tap of my rm9se.check my system pic under R ( rbwalt). happy listening!!!!!!!!!!!!

rob.

pubul57

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2010, 06:59 pm »
Robert, as you know, Roger would proabably recommend the 4ohm tap for a number of reasons. Have you done that? If so, what were your observations?

rbwalt

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2010, 06:26 pm »
hi paul. have not tried the 4 ohm tap but will give it a try. new addition to my system is a jps kaptovator power cord. running it from the amp to the JACO. all i can say is holy cow!!!

rob.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2010, 09:56 pm »
I haven't experienced the 4-ohm tap sounding any better than the 8 ohm.  However, it's easier on the tubes.  I think Roger recommends using the 4 ohm if you can achieve satisfactory volume levels without clipping.

rbwalt

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2010, 03:03 pm »
gave my merlins a listen to on the 4 ohm tap of my rm9se and i have to say i like the 8 ohm better.

rob.

rrboogie

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2010, 01:54 am »
I found the sound on the 4 Ohm tap too sluggish.

bmr3hc

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2010, 03:48 am »
On my Acoustic Zen Adagios the 4 ohm tap is noticebly better with the RM9 mkll

Henry

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2010, 04:23 am »
Hi, We still have a few RM-10 MK II for sale at the $1450 special offer. Price including shipping. Visa, MC or Discover accepted. I love this amp, its all hand wired, very powerful, compact and attractive. I get great compliments on the sound. The only negative I hear (indirectly) is that it looks too small. I styled the amplifier to be in harmony with the rather slender EL 84 tubes. Are we now pricing amplifiers by the square foot and the pound?

rbwalt is correct about the RM-9 input sockets. They do get loose over time but can be replaced and we have a mechanical fix for those who love to roll tube till the cows come home.

Do keep in mind that these amps are now 25 years old and BTW, the electrolytics are just fine. We can bring these amps to better than new for $600 typically.

On the subject of taps, a tap lower than the speaker impedance generally results in better midrange detail, tighter bass, extended and more even frequency response. If a speaker sounds sluggish I would guess it likes the higher tap which will result in less damping, loose if you like.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:03 pm »
Well rrboogie, now that you've had some time with your 'new' RM-9 tell us your impressions.

copperlynx

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2010, 09:07 pm »
I believe I bought this unit from rrboogie - his listening environment has changed.

Excellent amp (my second stay with RM9 Mk II). Driving my ProAc Response 2.5 from 4-Ohm tap with lots of authority and headroom. Nice combination of tight, almost solid-state bass and vivid tube midrange. ProAc 2.5 are low sensitive speaker (83 DB), and they sound a bit anaemic with my Quicksilver monos (~40 watts from 4-Ohm tap, EL34-based) and a passive volume control. RM9 wakes them up. My only complaint is that the unit has no gain switch, and (must probably) is pre-wired in medium gain setting. A bit too tight for these speakers. From my memories of the RM-9 unit I had before, high gain setting opens up the sound due to lower feedback, deepen the soundstage, and gives even more headroom with the passive volume control.

I am trying to contact Roger for the schematics and R/C values that I could change to wire it for high gain. No reply so far – summertime I guess.  If anyone who has the schematics could email me on the location and values of R/C for the gain switch, I would appreciate it.