Tube Pre-amp for my Solid State Amp, suggestions?

Prosoundman1000

Re: Tube Pre-amp for my Solid State Amp, suggestions?
« Reply #100 on: 20 Mar 2010, 12:48 am »
Dear Harrison,
                      I know how you feel.  We've all been there but you can't expect anyone at this forum to chose for you and you are afraid to make a bad choice so here's my suggestion.
     Take a good set of headphones and listen to the same 2-3 CDs on the same player/DAC through various pre-amplifiers. If the pre-amps don't have a headphone output you may have to borrow a headphone amplifier.
     Just make sure the only variable in the audio chain is the pre-amp used.
     Remember, all pre-amps like all components can and do sound slightly different.  Your mission.  Your only mission is to find one that pleases the space between your ears.

Patience is a virtue.  best of luck.  Cheers.

JackD201

« Reply #101 on: 20 Mar 2010, 05:14 am »
Vulcan,

If you can live without a remote, single ended only line outs and input for only 3 sources, might I suggest you try and find a second hand Lamm LL2 Deluxe. You'll have enough left over for good NOS tubes given your budget of 5k.

Happy Hunting!

By the way, I am a Lamm dealer but only sell in the Philippines. Just wanted to throw this out there lest I be accused of self promoting :)

wilsynet

« Reply #102 on: 20 Mar 2010, 04:53 pm »
There are a couple of Red Wine Audio Isabella preamps on Audiogon right now at fire sale prices.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2010, 11:03 pm by wilsynet »

TerryO

« Reply #103 on: 21 Mar 2010, 06:39 pm »
Thanks everyone,

I really like the information Ive seen on the VRE-1 TerryO.But Thats a SS pre. Eventhough its SS I am still very interested.

I am going to be honest here. I have put I know at least 1-2 hours a day on this subject. I understand whole lot more, I am aware of most all brands and AC brands. I feel just like I have about gone full circle around. I have been close to pulling the trigger on a few. It seems that the closer I get to a match then something happens to turn me away.

This thread ,I have read over and over an its the one thing keeping me grounded so if you have something to say please do.
Harrison

Harrison,
With regards to the McCormack VRE-1, it's actually a transformer coupled  JFet buffer stage. The only SS portion of the device are the JFets which function as a unity gain buffer, which BTW, is the only "active" part of the entire line stage. IOW: there are no actual amplifying stages in the device, SS or otherwise, so the problems associated with SS are pretty much moot in this case. Remember that many excellent tube preamps and amps use SS componets as well (an example would be a Constant Current Source) and are, IMHO, an upgrade to the sound of just about any tube device. It really depends on where they're used in the circuit, not so much as the type of device.

Best Regards,
TerryO

rlee8394

« Reply #104 on: 24 Mar 2010, 04:01 am »
Vulcan00,

Give this a look and PM me if you're interested.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1764

Ron

Frihed91

« Reply #105 on: 7 Apr 2010, 09:25 am »
You don't have to spend that much.  Get yourself an EE Minimax used for about 500 bux and you will have tube sound in spades, plus great clarity and dynamics.  Do the Google and check it out.

There are cheaper, better pre-amps, but I would never go for the cheap.

Call Kara Chaffee at deHavilland Electric Amplifier Company  360-891-6570 in Vancouver, WA:

http://www.dehavillandhifi.com

Ask her to make you an offer on a deHavilland UV2.  She will match your amps specs for you and give you a pretty darn good 6SN7 preamp that will outperform the EE and all of the other budget preamps on the market.

Alternatively, for less money look at the SBT preamp (6922 or 6DJ8 preamp) sold by Blue Circle Audio: www.bluecircle.com.

I have used both tube preamps with a solid state amp (Blue Circle SBM mono blocks) and they do sound good.  For slightly more than $1000 Blue Circle also will custom make an SBH headphone and preamp. This is an incredibly smooth, fast and transparent tube amp that can also bring out the best in SS or Tube amps.

www.BlueCircle.com

toobluvr

« Reply #106 on: 7 Apr 2010, 01:47 pm »
There are cheaper, better pre-amps, but I would never go for the cheap.

OK, I'm all ears.  What do you consider cheaper and better than the Minimax for $500 used price?

Call Kara Chaffee at deHavilland Electric Amplifier Company  360-891-6570 in Vancouver, WA:

http://www.dehavillandhifi.com

Ask her to make you an offer on a deHavilland UV2.  She will match your amps specs for you and give you a pretty darn good 6SN7 preamp that will outperform the EE and all of the other budget preamps on the market.

Hardly a fair comparison, is it?   Minimax list is $1100,  Ultraverve list is $2500.
There will always be better -- usually at a cost.

Besides, I made my rec in light of the OP's system.  We do know he has a Parasound amp, so I thought a modest preamp budget would be appropriate.  I don't see the sense to teaming a killer preamp with a modest amp.

schw06

« Reply #107 on: 7 Apr 2010, 02:09 pm »
To me, The latest iteration of the Modwright 9.0SE with tube rectified power supply and Modwright caps hits the pinnacle of price/performance ratio. Dan may have one or 2 left or a trade in that can be had at a great price. In my system, it has bested a $7000 and $5000 tube preamp that I have subsequently sold and the Modwright stayed. Just spend a little extra for a metal base Mullard rectifier and you are set!
David

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #108 on: 7 Apr 2010, 02:53 pm »
Resistance is futile. PARASOUND preamp with Parasound amp  :duh: The key is synergy. The Parasound amp is on the warm side of neutral. A neutral preamp would be the ticket. at least listen to a Parasound Pre before you pluck down your green on anything.

Synergy before anything.

charles

JoshK

« Reply #109 on: 9 Apr 2010, 01:17 am »
Best two preamps I've owned were both inexpensive.  The IRD Purist and Mapletree 6SN7 linestage (forget the model #).  I've heard and owned many others.  Cost does not correlate with sonics when it comes to preamps in my opinion.  The next best "preamp" was the Bent audio original TVC passive or my own conconcted DIYHifi based TVC passive. 

None of the above are expensive.  I owned a $3000 Carly SLP 2002 which was 6922 based and it was only ok IMO.  I've had a Blue Circle Galatea MKIII (I think) in my system for a while and it was quite good too but I think I like those above better and for much less money.

If I wanted to spend money on a preamp rather than roll my own, I'd contract Thomas Mayer (in Germany) to make me one of his universal DHT preamps.  I gaurantee it'd be the last preamp you ever owned. 
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8329/universalline4.jpg

Mariusz

« Reply #110 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:02 am »
Josh

what's so special about it
do tell

Mariusz :D

JoshK

« Reply #111 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:05 am »
Which one?  The Maple Tree or IRD, or TVC passives?

Mariusz

« Reply #112 on: 9 Apr 2010, 03:10 am »
The "German"

Mariusz :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #113 on: 9 Apr 2010, 01:29 pm »
Oh, that one.  Well ask any hardcore tube builder and he will tell you the ultimate preamp is a DHT preamp.  They don't do it commercially for a few reasons, one they cost a fortune to make (not so much if you DIY), the tubes are all antiques and no new production, so you can't rely on a regular supply, and they are big and heavy to do them right.

Thomas Mayer is a well respected builder, who frequents the usual tube diy forums and shows off his awesome creations.  I've even seen Allen Wright praise his works.

This particular DHT linestage is a "universal" DHT linestage, so it means you can run any of the DHT tubes in it.  This opens a plethora of different DHT tubes to try to flavor the way you want it.  Try out the 10y, 26, 01A, 71A, 112A, etc.  The 26 is the tube that has god-like status as the best preamp tube and there are relatively plentiful, since they were used in all battery radios way back when.  Ditto on the 01A. 

Here is the thread where it came to my attention.
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/18/182657.html

Steve

« Reply #114 on: 17 Apr 2010, 06:49 pm »
Oh, that one.  Well ask any hardcore tube builder and he will tell you the ultimate preamp is a DHT preamp.  They don't do it commercially for a few reasons, one they cost a fortune to make (not so much if you DIY), the tubes are all antiques and no new production, so you can't rely on a regular supply, and they are big and heavy to do them right.

Thomas Mayer is a well respected builder, who frequents the usual tube diy forums and shows off his awesome creations.  I've even seen Allen Wright praise his works.

This particular DHT linestage is a "universal" DHT linestage, so it means you can run any of the DHT tubes in it.  This opens a plethora of different DHT tubes to try to flavor the way you want it.  Try out the 10y, 26, 01A, 71A, 112A, etc.  The 26 is the tube that has god-like status as the best preamp tube and there are relatively plentiful, since they were used in all battery radios way back when.  Ditto on the 01A. 

Here is the thread where it came to my attention.
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/18/182657.html

Hi Josh,

I hate to sound disagreeable but I have to disagree. Imo, the true test is if the preamplifier neither adds nor subtracts from the music, is truly accurate in absolute terms in and of itself. If there is a problem elsewhere in someone's system, I would suggest correcting the problem(s) rather than a patch. But one certainly does not need a DHT preamplfier to achieve absolute accuracy. In fact the design from the AA link is not accurate in absolute terms. I think they tend to exaggerate their claims.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 02:18 pm by Steve »

RCduck7

« Reply #115 on: 18 Apr 2010, 08:21 pm »
Best two preamps I've owned were both inexpensive.  The IRD Purist and Mapletree 6SN7 linestage (forget the model #).  I've heard and owned many others.  Cost does not correlate with sonics when it comes to preamps in my opinion.  The next best "preamp" was the Bent audio original TVC passive or my own conconcted DIYHifi based TVC passive. 

None of the above are expensive.  I owned a $3000 Carly SLP 2002 which was 6922 based and it was only ok IMO.  I've had a Blue Circle Galatea MKIII (I think) in my system for a while and it was quite good too but I think I like those above better and for much less money.

If I wanted to spend money on a preamp rather than roll my own, I'd contract Thomas Mayer (in Germany) to make me one of his universal DHT preamps.  I gaurantee it'd be the last preamp you ever owned. 
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8329/universalline4.jpg

Nice to let us know your experiences.
I'm also looking out for a (tube) pre amp for my solid state amp.
The IRD purist is really not expensive, and judging from the performance you had with it, it must be really good, but it it is not a tube pre amp is it??
Anyway, it's the sound that counts and when i read about it on their website it should be very neutral.
I also read very good things about the Doge Audio 8, i was really considering this pre amp if it wasn't for it's shiny mirror like front, that defenitly wouldn't suit my other gear.
So i think i might look out a bit more for a good pre amp if the IRD purist or Doge Audio won't meet my practical needs.
The Doge Audio was in a test along with other more expensive stuff...
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Preamplifiers.html
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 01:35 pm by RCduck7 »

fredgarvin

« Reply #116 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:17 pm »
I've been using a Purist myself for some time. I had it home with a Minimax and an Aragon for trial. If I hadn't had the Purist to hear , I would have kept the tubed Minimax as it sounded good but the Purist was just better. It's worth a listen.

RCduck7

« Reply #117 on: 19 Apr 2010, 01:41 pm »
I've been using a Purist myself for some time. I had it home with a Minimax and an Aragon for trial. If I hadn't had the Purist to hear , I would have kept the tubed Minimax as it sounded good but the Purist was just better. It's worth a listen.

Is this purist available with a remote control? I don't think i will ever live without some sort of remote control to adjust the volume from my seat when listening to different songs when recorded at different volumes... a way around it would be if the source has a volume control but mine doesn't.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #118 on: 19 Apr 2010, 01:53 pm »
Is this purist available with a remote control? I don't think i will ever live without some sort of remote control to adjust the volume from my seat when listening to different songs when recorded at different volumes... a way around it would be if the source has a volume control but mine doesn't.
i am w/you; remote wolume is critical.  even tho my preamp, (which i love), has remote, it's not the most ergonomically friendly, so i looked for another solution; check this out:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76898.msg753549#msg753549

doug s.

toobluvr

« Reply #119 on: 19 Apr 2010, 06:30 pm »
i am w/you; remote wolume is critical.  even tho my preamp, (which i love), has remote, it's not the most ergonomically friendly, so i looked for another solution; check this out:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76898.msg753549#msg753549

doug s.

Do you really wanna put something else in the signal path?     How could that possibly not muck things up.....even just a lil bit?!   :scratch: