New Guy From Maine - Just Bought a Sig 30 from Vinnie

rtc1

Hello all,

Been reading this forum for about a month and finally decided to subscribe.

Just bought a Sig 30 from Vinnie yesterday, it's on the way.  Not an upgraded piece. A stock Sig 30 with Makassar Ebony enclosure . It should be here Thursday. Never have heard one. Read all of the reiviews. Called Vinnie asked a few questions, sent a dozen emails... He was so helpful I almost had to buy it!

Anyway, after 40 years in Audio, I burnt out and sold almost all of my equipment 3 years a go. Kept my speakers. Classic Audio T-3's. 

A couple of months a go,I dug out my Dad's old AR XB turnatable and a spare NAD 3020 from the ol days and hooked up my kids old Ninteno Play Station 1 as a cd player. Started Making music again...

So the sickness has got me again. :duh:

I have driven my T3's with Atma-shere M60's with the Atma-Sphere MP3 matching preamp.. Levinson Ml1 preamp and ML2 power amps, Levinson ML11/Ml12 preamp./Power amp. CJ PV-1 thru PV10 preamps. (liked the PV5 and PV10 the best) ARC 3a, 6B, 6C and 6E preamps with a D90b power amp., couldn't keep em outa the shop...Forte' 44 preamp, with Forte 4 power amp, Ayre Preamp and power amp, Cary 300 SEI , with PH302 Phono stage, and their latest CD player, forget which one, Cary SE 845 intergrated, Fi X intergrated amplifier, trusty NAD 3020 that is waaay better than you may think, (even the phone stage), Marantz 8b  and Marantz 9 amplifiers, all the Dynaco stuffff, ST35, ST70, MkIII monos, Mac MC 30 , MC40, MC60, MC225 and MC240, etc. Quick Silver Monos and more... (You can see where the burnout came from)

My Tuntable was always a SOTA Star Saphire with Vacuum platter, Graham 1.5 tonearm. Cartridges from Grado to Koetsu Usushi, the Lyra Helikon was my fav, till I snapped of the cantiliver... That day sucked.

Anyway, I am excitied about the Sig 30 and hope that it is all the reviews say.
I am staring to build a new system.

After the Sig 30 will come a phono stage. I may look into the Eastern Electric, I am open to suggestions and watching audiogon for someone with the bug to upgrade....

That's probably more on an intro. than you all wanted, but, it should give you an idea where I am coming form...

Last, I am located in Maine, no Äudio dealers, nada! I get my info from what I read on the web and in mags...and have learned much from my past adventures in audio.

The main thing I have learned is that spending more $ on gear is not the smartest route to synergy or sonic improvment and that after a certain point the law of diminishing return applies big time.

Thanks again Vinnie for all of you patience and assistance. I am hoping for big things from the Sig 30.

Bob

Earman

Re: New Guy From Maine - Just Bought a Sig 30 from Vinnie
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2010, 02:38 am »
Last, I am located in Maine, no Äudio dealers, nada!
Bob
C'mon Bob, there's a Radio Shack department behind the canoe paddles in L.L. Bean. :eyebrows:

rtc1

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:13 pm »
BRB,

Gone to LL Bean.... :lol:

Bob

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2010, 04:50 am »
Bob, you're right about Vinnie... he's the real deal.  He was helping me with audio long before Red Wine got started.  I think you've made a wise choice.

btw, are you getting a Sig 30 or Sig 30.2?  Congrats!  Heck, I'd take either one.  We look forward to hearing your impressions of the amp.  Welcome, you've come to the right place.  I'd like to see the look on your face when you first hear this amp driven by an SLA battery.  It's amazing!

-Roy

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2010, 01:45 pm »
It's a very nice int. amp. 
The wood finish of this unit is quite unique - Omega version.
I believe it comes with dedicated stand & gold volume pot.

P.S
Vinnie is easy to deal with and costumer service is second to non.

Best
Mariusz

rtc1

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2010, 02:44 pm »
Tell me more about the designated stand...

Bob

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2010, 03:02 pm »
Most of "Omega" vesions came with dedicated stand in the same finish as the main unit. I believe it was an added option but most who opt for wood finish also got the amp stand.

Mariusz

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2010, 03:34 pm »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

I apologize for the delayed response.  As you know - I'm now deep into the moving process of Red Wine Audio to a new building. 

After the Sig 30 will come a phono stage. I may look into the Eastern Electric, I am open to suggestions and watching audiogon for someone with the bug to upgrade....

I recall quite a few of our Sig 30 customers have posted in the past (digging deep into the RWA forum here) that the Eastern Electric preamp (as well as Mapletree Audio) were an excellent match and added some "toob" sweetness to the mix - and cost-effective solutions. 

There are quite a few active preamps out there that have a LOT of gain, so having the stepped attenuator volume control on your custom Sig 30 will be very helpful to allow you to find an attenuator position that will give you a more usable volume control range from the preamp that you use...

Hi Roymail and Mariusz,

Thanks for your kind words!

I explained to Bob that this particular Omega Sig 30 did not have the wooden base - but Mariusz is correct - some did have this.  Louis' did a beautiful job with them!

All the best,

Vinnie

rtc1

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2010, 04:12 pm »

Enjoying the Sig 30 so far.. As soon as Vinnie gets settled in his new place he is going to do the partial upgrade on it for me.... So it'll have 30.2 innards...

I am trying to decide on which preamp as I type.

There are 2 that I am considering: 

Mapletree Audio Ultra 4A SE phono/line preamplifier with Auricaps, etc.

and

Eastern Electric Phono stage and Line Stage separates

I like the idea of the Mapletree but everything I read kinda makes me feel like it may be more of an entry level preamp.. I am too old to be entry level anything... and My system is much above entry level...as far as I am concrened anyway...

The Eastern Electric stuff as some great reviews but is more $..

Everything is a trade off I guess..

I have done lots of searches on Audiocircle and the web and from what I have read, most seem to prefer the Eastern Electric.

Last :

I have considered a mix n' match: Eatern Electric Line stage with the Fi PH phono stage... Always wanted to try the Fi... But, the Fi PH uses 6922/6DJ8, and I have ALWAYS had microphinics issues with that tube!

Any words of wisdom or combinations I should consider before I pull the trigger?

bc

coldfogey

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2010, 10:07 pm »
rtc1, Old guy from Maine here, I have a Minimax preamp I could sell you.  If you are interested call me at 746 5262. Ask for Tom.   
                                                                                Coldfogey

rtc1

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:31 pm »
Finally settling in since my last post...

Since then I have made quite a few system changes and have now settled in. My Sig 30 has had the partial upgrade done and now has the 30.2 innards.... I really am enjoying it and can now understand how it has successfully displaced many amplifiers costing much, much more...

I have had upgrades done before to some of my prior audio gear and was never really impressed with the outcome. Naturally, I was very skeptical about doing the upgrade, (Vinnie must be a saint, I was a real science project), but, I can tell you without hesitation, that it was easily the most meaningful upgrade that I could imagine...

To be honest, the Sig 30 before the partial upgrade was not exactly my cup of tea.. In my system it simply sounded like it needed to gain significant weight and bloom. The detail was there, the quiet was there, but, no heft, no weight.  I fully expected to have the partial upgrade done only to end up selling it on Audiogon.

I was WRONG! 

After running it in for approx. 3 weeks, I can tell you that the Sig 30.2 isn't going anywhere for a looong, loong while, if ever. It's that good. It's presentation of weight, complexity, bloom, ease pitch perfect bass, and natural highs, coupled with a DEAD quiet background are addicting!  It perform's as a 45 SET could, if it could make 30 watts.     

If anyone has any reservations about having the partial upgrade done, just cast em off, and have it done… Or email me, it’ll take me 30 seconds to sell you on the upgrade.

During this time I have used 2 different preamps. with the Sig 30.2. The first was the MAPLESHADE ULTRA 4A SE. The second was a Niteshade Beacon II, custom built for use with the Sig 30.2 with input to the builder from Vinnie.... (How many guys in the audio business would help another manufacturer design a preamp for a customer? Thanks Vinnie! ). 

The Mapleshade, while it sounded fine, was just that, fine. No more - no less. A little noisy, vocals were acceptable, bass was a little fat, top was “nice”.  And the main preamp chassis weighted only about a pound, even turning the volume control caused the preamp to move… Just didn’t feel or sound substantial to me. I sold it, thanks Audiogon.

Niteshade Audio Beacon Two preamp:

Link to Niteshade Aduio Website: http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/Home/preamplifiers

Here’s a link to my preamp and specs: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78481.0

The Beacon Two was a completely different story. This is a really nice preamp.! Dead quiet, I’d say every bit as quiet as the Sig 30.2.  I ran it the first week with some RCA 6SN7’s.  It went through some strange periods during  the break-in process, especially the first week. Day one, bright, day 2 dark, day3 better more balanced, then it started to open up.

I had done some reading on 6SN7 tubes and found lots of folks recommending the Russian 6H8C tubes as replacements, (approx. $200.00 pr.). I decided to give these a try. Again, another immediate change for the better. I left these cooking in the preamp for a couple of days, went back to the system and honestly, the difference was amazing.

I should note that the way that the Niteshade  Beacon Two “stand-by mode” works (My term not Niteshades). There are two switches, one for the tube filaments of the 6SN7/6H8C that keeps them on in stand-by if you wish or off completely. The other power switch is for the high voltage which turns of the rectifier/high voltage circuit.  When I shut it down, I turn off the high voltage switch and leave the tube filament switch on - all the time… When ready to use it again, I flip on the high voltage circuit and within 1 minute I am playing music – no warm up time! 

Howzit sound? If foot tapping and smiling are any sign, it sounds outstanding. Quiet, dimensional front to back, full cinema width. Rich and natural without sounding euphonic. I’d say it’s an honest preamp. It gives you what ever you feed it.

One truly unique characteristic that I notice now is that the soundstage has excellent height! I have had lots of audio gear, LOTS!  I have never experienced this vertical dispersion characteristic as profoundly as now. Vocals have a spooky realism and image placement is as good as I have ever heard. The only other set-up that I have experienced that “may” have done this better is the original Magnaplanar MG20’s with some really high end electronics.

The switchable gain is also a very nice feature. One toggle switch that allows for 0db gain, (Unity gain) or 12db gain . I find that I use the 0db gain with phono and 12db going with CD. I set the gain at approx. 11:00 o’çlock on the Beacon Two and then dial up the gain on the Sig30.2 to an approx. maximum listening level. Then use the preamp gain to dial in the desired volume… The flexibility here is real nice. Most preamp seem to have a sweet spot, this one happens to be at ~ 11:00 o’clock on the preamp volume control and 2:00 o’clock on the Sig 30.2.  According to Blair at Niteshade, the preamp should be shut off before switching gain settings. (If you don’t you will hear a disturbing pop thru your speakers). I mentioned this to him the last time we spoke and he stated that he may have a way to eliminate this, he’s thinking on it…

Final thoughts:  If you are looking for a excellent preamp. , I encourage you to try the Beacon Two. If you are on the fence weather you should upgrade your Red Wine Audio Sig 30 to Sig 30.2, don’t hesitate, call Vinnie and tell him it’s on the way… I bet you will have it back in a week.   

Many thanks to Vinnie and Blair for their wonderful products and exemplary customer support!

System:

Niteshade Beacon Two Custom Preamp.
Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 Amplifier
Audio Space CDP-8A CD Player
Rega Planar 3 with RB300 Arm
Denon DL103R MC Cartridge
Bob's Devices Cinemag MC Step Up Transformer
Graham Slee Signature Phono Stage
Classic Audio Reproductions T3 Speakers

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2010, 11:20 am »
Hi rtc1,

What a follow-up!  8)  Thanks for sharing your experiences.

It sounds like your system is really coming together - and the music has
a grip on you. 

I'm really happy that you are enjoying it!

All the best,

Vinnie