Amarra Software iTunes Plug-in - Any possible benefit to Modwright Transporter?

Marco Prozzo

I've been reading quite the buzz over Amarra, a software plug-in for iTunes that supposedly has a significant effect on the SQ of iTunes.  Can this software be made to work somehow through the MWTP (It is designed for a USB connection, and is otherwise an iTunes plug-in that runs tandem to iTunes)? I don't know if Squeeze software would then benefit at all, nor whether you can actually use the TP straight off of iTunes via a wired connection.   Amarra is quite expensive for a music streaming plug-in for iTunes...currently on sale for $295 for the "mini" version, and $995 for the full version which adds eq and a few other bells and whistles. I'd be interested in anyone's feeback who has tried it out.  Virtually all input I've read on various forums is very positive and speak of significant audible improvements.  The only way I imagine it would benefit is if you were streaming digital into the TP via one of the SPDIF options and bypassing the Squeeze software.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
No, Squeeze Center (and its players) and Amarra/iTunes are separate players.  Amarra is MAC only and uses iTunes as is GUI and library manager.  SqueezeBoxServer is its own serevr and set of players.  They compete.

Marco Prozzo

Thanks, Ted.  So I guess the question should be, has anyone tried Amarra using the MWTP via the SPDIF input options on the MWTP...seems the only option for using it would be to use the TP as a (wired) DAC, and use iTunes/Amarra as the controller (I can use iRemote via my iPhone for that).  Anyone try this?

Audioclyde

Marco,

I've been trying the demo version of Amarra mini this weekend, feeding the optical/toslink input of my MW Transporter from the mini toslink output of my Mac mini.  I confirmed that it indeed works this way and sounds very good; my comparisons were kind of put on hold yesterday due to a bout with the flu bug (I lost).

I had started a thread in the Discless forum regarding this; at this point I haven't formed a hard and fast conclusion.....it seems to be that the setup running Amarra has a bit more 'body' & soundstage...

I've also been playing with PureVinyl with the same setup...indeed it sounds a bit different as well; maybe a bit more 'in your face' presentation.....

I would certainly welcome others' reactions; at this point I haven't decided whether to pull the trigger yet on either Amarra mini or PureVinyl.

Best,

Randy

ted_b

• Volunteer
I'm a beta tester for Amarra, have the Preview version of PV (as well as a beta tester for a third unnamed player) and I would say you need to hear them both in your system.  And if you have few or no 24/176 or 24/192 files then Amarra Mini (24/96 max) is the player you'd want to compare to PV, price wise.  PV handles all sample rates.

Audioclyde

Correct Ted; I'm demo'ing Amarra mini; I have some 'native' 24/96 files and many 24/96 files I've created with Sample Manager.  Amarra Mini, using the MW Transporter as the DAC, is of course handling all of these fine.

mikel51

I'll be curious about the outcome.....multiple years of trying different usb and spdif outputs from windows computer to dacs has led me to using the MWTP via ethernet as a superior option. 

Audioclyde

After a couple of hours comparing Amarra Mini (again, feeding the toslink input of my MW Transporter) to 'regular' use of the MW Transporter (i.e. using Sqeezebox as the player, connected via ethernet cable), I have to say in my setup the sound quality is very, very close.  I'm sure in a blind test I would not be 100% accurate in id'ing which setup is playing.

Amarra mini seems to have maybe a tiny bit of more warmth, and maybe a tiny bit bigger soundstage.  On some tracks I find it preferable, but again its very close.  Much like the way I hear the differences between Amarra Mini and PureVinyl, Amarra seems to put me a couple rows further back from the stage.

All in all, I'm not certain if I'm willing to pay the cost for Amarra in this setup.  My decision may be made easier because I may have another system to use Amarra in down the road, where the MW Transporter won't be available.

Just my 2 cents.

Randy

Marco Prozzo

After a couple of hours comparing Amarra Mini (again, feeding the toslink input of my MW Transporter) to 'regular' use of the MW Transporter (i.e. using Sqeezebox as the player, connected via ethernet cable), I have to say in my setup the sound quality is very, very close.  I'm sure in a blind test I would not be 100% accurate in id'ing which setup is playing.

Amarra mini seems to have maybe a tiny bit of more warmth, and maybe a tiny bit bigger soundstage.  On some tracks I find it preferable, but again its very close.  Much like the way I hear the differences between Amarra Mini and PureVinyl, Amarra seems to put me a couple rows further back from the stage.

All in all, I'm not certain if I'm willing to pay the cost for Amarra in this setup.  My decision may be made easier because I may have another system to use Amarra in down the road, where the MW Transporter won't be available.

Just my 2 cents.

Randy

Thanks for the input Randy.  Have you compared the MWTP ethernet connection VS. wireless, just out of curiosity?  I've heard the wired ethernet route is marginally superior to wireless.  Forgive me if there's already a thread on this. 

Thus far I have no high-rez files in my library, so my interest would be limited to conventional files.  Thanks for that input, ted.

Audioclyde

Hi Marco,

There is considerable discussion of wired vs. wireless over in the Discless circle; worth a read.

I ran wireless for some time, and have also ran my MW Transporter connected via ethernet, yet still using its wireless function.  I definitely prefer the sound in my setup running it hooked up via ethernet and with no wireless function going on in my Transporter--although I wouldn't say that the differences are huge.  In my setup, this means I have to give up internet radio (of course I can now feed it directly to the Transporter's optical input if I choose to listen to internet radio), but I found that I really didn't use that feature or those services much anyway.

Best,

Randy

ted_b

• Volunteer
The wired vs wireless discussion is something quite different...it does not involve Amarra, because Amarra is a software player that does not use ethernet, just the MAC's output.  BTW, I love wired....better sound for whatever reason (I think it's mainly the lack of wirelss signal rf/emi or something).

pardales

Is Amarra worthwhile if you only have 16/44.1 files and use a USB DAC?

ted_b

• Volunteer
Is Amarra worthwhile if you only have 16/44.1 files and use a USB DAC?

That's its intended target.  Pure Vinyl Preview 3 too.

pardales

That's its intended target.  Pure Vinyl Preview 3 too.

Thanks. What is Pure Vinyl Preview 3?

ted_b

• Volunteer
Thanks. What is Pure Vinyl Preview 3?

A competitor to Amarra, as mentioned above.  Pure Vinyl 3 (Preview reelase 4N4)
http://www.channld.com/pure-vinyl_download.html