Here are some additional pictures that my wife took at the show:

3/4 View with Our Fearless Leader in the background

Front

Rear

Front - Slightly different angle

lateralgs

Re: VMPS RM50 - More Pics from the Show
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2010, 03:05 am »
I understand those are protos, but they look sort of cobbled together on the rear firing units.

Edit:  Aaaaahhh, I just saw in the other thread that these were nothing much more than a "twinkle in Daddy's eye" a mere two months ago.  That "esplains" it.

Although, the P-51 Mustang went from concept to a roll-out prototype in about 120 days I believe....   :P

Hipper

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2010, 10:52 am »
But to be fair, the P-51 didn't have rear firing tweeters.

PLMONROE

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2010, 01:49 pm »
And didn't more than a couple of people work on it?  :scratch:

Paul

cliffy

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2010, 05:10 pm »
Paul,

It was great meeting you at T.H.E. Show.  Your listening room is beautiful. 
Hope to see you at future shows.

Spencer (aka Cliffy)

gerald porzio

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2010, 07:39 pm »
Are the top firing rear tweeters tilted to the left, or is this a photo artifact? Is this spkr. a prototype?

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44 pm »
Are the top firing rear tweeters tilted to the left, or is this a photo artifact? Is this spkr. a prototype?

Hi Gerald,

It might be either, as it is the "original" and not a production sample.

In any event, it is not in the design.

I might add that the production models will have a removable CDWG for the rear firing array.

mjosef

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2010, 12:55 am »
I stopped by late Saturday afternoon, and noticed that one of the rear panels were removed leaving an open 'hole'...so whats the scoop on that?

PLMONROE

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:16 pm »
Paul,

It was great meeting you at T.H.E. Show.  Your listening room is beautiful. 
Hope to see you at future shows.

Spencer (aka Cliffy)

Thanks, I enjoyed meeting and spending time with you as well . Helping Brian out (what little I did) was more fun than a barell of monkeys. Hope to repeat in 2011. It seems Brian has better equipment and better performers each year. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next --  probably nothing less than the Boston Pops!

Paul

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:15 pm »
mjosef:

We had a problem with crackling panels for several days.  Since the five are in series to present a 15 Ohm load to our OTL amps, one bad panel made them all sound bad.

We finally localized the problem to a rear panel but could not immediately find the defect, so we replaced it temporarily with a 4 Ohm resistor. 

As it turned out, a new batch of ring terminals--an integral part of the rebuild we do on every panel--had about 1/10mm more meat on it and was causing an intermittent short with adjoining traces.  Filing down the terminal and reseating it solved the problem. Just another typical snafu under show conditions. My thanks to Dave Housteau's keen eyesight and precision trim work.

As for that "cobbled together" look, you have no idea!  We were literally carving away at those thick baffles (3" front, 2" back) with hammer and chisel during prototyping.  We eventually covered our crude recuts with masks but truly, the show speakers were an ongoing experiment, now complete.