Songtowers vs Monitor Audio RS6

cacophony777

Songtowers vs Monitor Audio RS6
« on: 2 Jan 2010, 06:58 pm »
About 6 months ago I bought the following as my "bang for the buck" entry into hi-fi:

Monitor Audio RS6
Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp
Onkyo C-S5VL sacd player

I've been very pleased with the setup, so it's only natural to wonder how much better things can get with a little more money  :D

My setup is in a relatively small L shaped living room. Main listening part is about 15 x 20, with speakers ~6 feet apart and about 1 foot from back wall (listening couch is about 7 feet from speakers). I primarily listen to classical and jazz (eg. Bill Evans) at this point.

Can somebody help me better understand what kind of differences I would get by upgrading to Songtowers? Would my amp be good at driving them?

Thanks!

Art_Chicago

Re: Songtowers vs Monitor Audio RS6
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2010, 08:19 pm »
Welcome to AC!
 A friend of mine has RS6 driven by an Onkyo receiver. He got them on sale for about 600 and I thought it was pretty good deal because they do sound good for the money. But the Songtowers are in a different category. Read this circle, you will find out that ST's outperform a lot of $3K speakers. With the ST's you get much bigger 3D soundstage, accurate tonality, a ton of detail, almost live concert experience. These qualities are very important for classical and jazz, IMHO. I would definitely upgrade and keep the RS6 as a secondary system.

rahimlee54

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2010, 08:35 pm »
I auditioned the RS6s a couple years ago when I was looking for some entry level speakers.  Nothing in that price range could give me what I felt was my moneys worth.  The ST were a step up.  Much more clear and defined, but all that was based on memory didnt have A/B going.  I'd try to go audition if possible, since no one can tell you exactly, unless they have them both in the room.  The ST are really good entry level speakers that are hard to beat.  Hearing is all there is to it.  Make a 2 hour drive and judge for yourself.

Jared

funkmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2010, 09:12 pm »
I auditioned the RS6s a couple years ago when I was looking for some entry level speakers.  Nothing in that price range could give me what I felt was my moneys worth.  The ST were a step up.  Much more clear and defined, but all that was based on memory didnt have A/B going.  I'd try to go audition if possible, since no one can tell you exactly, unless they have them both in the room.  The ST are really good entry level speakers that are hard to beat.  Hearing is all there is to it.  Make a 2 hour drive and judge for yourself.

Jared

well said, +1

I agree completely

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2010, 09:20 pm »
I also auditioned the RS6's when I was searching for a speaker.  While I think they are decent for the money, the SongTower's are better in every way IMO.  They have better midrange clarity, more punchy tight bass (as opposed to the RS6's somewhat bloated bass), more realistic high frequencies and timbre, etc.  The difference would be like looking out a smudged window at a beautiful sunset.  Sure, it still looks nice, but with the SongTower's there is no pane of glass, so you see (or rather hear in this case) what you're suppose to. 

Hope that helps.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2010, 09:22 pm »
The newest Absolute Sound has the ST as performing way above their paygrade (page 66).  Salk and Van Alstine are mentioned several times in this issue for providing high levels of value.  Given you chose your veneer, how could you lose?

newzooreview

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2010, 02:23 am »
@cacophony777

I have the Onkyo A-9555, and you'll be safe driving the SongTowers with it. They are fairly efficient, and you'll definitely be able to appreciate their qualities with that amp. I understand that folks are happy driving them with lower-powered tube amps as well.

The cool thing is that the SongTowers can be the foundation of future upgrades to the amp and source. They will reward better amplification and source as you go along. And if you were thinking of something like the HT2-TL rather than the SongTowers, I would say your money is better spent on an upgrade of the front end because the SongTowers have a lot of room for growth and can give you many years of pleasure.

Happy listening!

cacophony777

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2010, 06:00 pm »
Thanks for all the responses, sounds like I really need to hear them!

Anybody know of a local place I can get a demo? I'm in Palo Alto, CA.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2010, 06:13 pm »
You'll have to find an owner in your area, as Salk does not have store fronts.  If you do not get enough eyes on this thread concerning an audition request, start a new thread asking if there are local owners in your area who are willing to have you over for a listening session. 

taoggniklat

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2010, 07:20 pm »

Let me know if you find an audition somewhere near Palo Alto, as I am also interested in this. :)

mcullinan

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2010, 08:43 pm »
I had the RS6s. And Ive heard the Songtowers. I liked the RS6s.. Nice balanced presentation, NEutral sound. Good Sound stage. Not the end all in the detail department.
The Songtowers had more ooph in the bass, perhaps more dynamic overall. A touch less midrange than the RS6...
I believe there is a new version of the RS6 out now?? They are both very nice speakers.

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2010, 11:54 pm »
I had the RS6s. And Ive heard the Songtowers. I liked the RS6s.. Nice balanced presentation, NEutral sound. Good Sound stage. Not the end all in the detail department.
The Songtowers had more ooph in the bass, perhaps more dynamic overall. A touch less midrange than the RS6...
I believe there is a new version of the RS6 out now?? They are both very nice speakers.

Less midrange?  Do you mean detail?  If so, I completely disagree, but we may hear very differently or perhaps the room was at play.  Anyway, care to elaborate?

For what it's worth, here are the SongTower in Dennis' room:

Here are the Monitor Audio RS6's in the Stereophile reviewers room:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:20 am »
Now let's not jump on people for opinions.  For starters, it's hard to define exactly what region "midrange" occupies.  You might think we're talking about fundamentals in the voice range, say between 200 and  1 kHz.  And I would agree that the ST's aren't lacking either in output or detail in that region.  But the ear isn't going to just hear fundamentals--it's going to hear the whole overtone structure,  which will include lots of 2nd and 3rd order harmonics in the 1-2 kHz range.  And in that region the CA15 in the ST's is a little lean, which you can see if you stare at my graph enough.   And the Monitors have more ouput in that area.  So I can see how someone would think the Monitors had a fuller midrange (which the poster didn't say was necessarily better). 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:23 am »
Now let's not jump on people for opinions.  For starters, it's hard to define exactly what region "midrange" occupies.  You might think we're talking about fundamentals in the voice range, say between 200 and  1 kHz.  And I would agree that the ST's aren't lacking either in output or detail in that region.  But the ear isn't going to just hear fundamentals--it's going to hear the whole overtone structure,  which will include lots of 2nd and 3rd order harmonics in the 1-2 kHz range.  And in that region the CA15 in the ST's is a little lean, which you can see if you stare at my graph enough.   And the Monitors have more ouput in that area.  So I can see how someone would think the Monitors had a fuller midrange (which the poster didn't say was necessarily better).

Nice post Dennis.   :thumb:

George

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:25 am »
I am not jumping on opinions.  No worries.  I am looking for clarification, that's all.

Mudslide

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:40 am »
I have auditioned both, but never together in a controlled situation.  My opinion of the Monitor Audio Silver series, especially the R6's and R8's is that they are a wonderful bargain and the one I'd pick if I were looking to spend <$1K.  They are pretty darn neutral and perform admirably for the price.  Good looks prevail which is a bonus.

My opinion of the ST is exactly the same...but the two are not equals.  The ST presents much more of the available detail, and is measurably and audibly smoother than the MA.  It would be my floorstander pick at <$2K...hands down.

That said...YMMV.  I know that it will be nearly impossible for the OP to A/B the units for final evaluation...unless you buy them both and return one set.  That is always the best way to go if you can afford the purchases and don't mind the hassle.  All we can do is give you OUR opinions of what we hear.

vintagebob

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2010, 02:37 am »

You are welcome to come down to South San Jose and listen to some HT2-TLs.  Bring your RS6s with you.  ; )

Art_Chicago

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:13 am »
You are welcome to come down to South San Jose and listen to some HT2-TLs.  Bring your RS6s with you.  ; )

Going from RS6s to HT2-TLs would be a step up!

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2010, 04:36 am »
^ So would going to the SongTowers.  :)

Art_Chicago

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:04 am »
^ So would going to the SongTowers.  :)

agree! please see the second post of the thread. But going from $1K speakers to $4K SALK speakers might be too much of a shock   :wink: