st-70 mods...why Van Alstine

dla405j

st-70 mods...why Van Alstine
« on: 3 Dec 2009, 10:20 pm »
I'm acquiring a stock dynaco st-70 and will have somebody improve/modify it.  I have a AVA Tube preamp and am considering  a match with AVA mods to this dynaco.  In reading all the options and choices available I'm wondering why AVA mods are recommended...seems quite expensive but yet not as complete or extensive as many other mods for less money.  I would like to hear from forum members who have this mod and compared it to others why I should send it to Frank for his work....thanks
dla405j

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: st-70 mods...why Van Alstine
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:00 am »
Sorry, mis-read question

Brett Buck

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:04 am »
I'm acquiring a stock dynaco st-70 and will have somebody improve/modify it.  I have a AVA Tube preamp and am considering  a match with AVA mods to this dynaco.  In reading all the options and choices available I'm wondering why AVA mods are recommended...seems quite expensive but yet not as complete or extensive as many other mods for less money.  I would like to hear from forum members who have this mod and compared it to others why I should send it to Frank for his work.

Because it's a well-thought-out modification that addresses specific engineering issues with the original. I would search for the original Audio Basics article for the analysis and reasoning.  And, of course, it seems to work much better than the others. It's really not a modified ST-70 any more, it's a new design that happens to use ST-70 output transformers and chassis. I would compare it to other original-design tube amps (of any price) instead of ST-70's. It's at least as good as any I have heard, and generally much better - once again, regardless of price.

Brett

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:27 am »
dla,

Good question. You should read this post from Bill Thomas.

Bill is a regular poster here at AC, a very skilled craftsman, Dynaco guru, and all around nice guy. He could have modded this ST-70 in dozens of ways, including probably some of his own ideas, but chose Frank's Ultimate 70 upgrade above all others.

The link may show you why.

Enjoy your new amp!  :thumb:
Jerry

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:39 am »
Here are some reasons you should have AVA modify your ST-70: 

Frank probably has more experience  than anyone else in the world modifying Dynaco equipment, having started in the 1970s, or maybe it was during the 1960s.  Besides an engineering background, he has learned what modifications actually work and what doesn't work, and what is cost effective. 

Consider how little of his modified equipment comes up for resale, and how quickly it generally is sold.  If you were to look inside any of his modified units, even if you were untrained you would recognize the quality of the workmanship.

Also consider that he continually works on upgrading his circuitry, and offers upgrades at great prices, advancing the state of the art for each unit (His Ultra70 is based on the stock ST-70, but reuses very few of the stock parts).  You'll get better sound quality from AVA modifications, as that is what he is all about.

And consider the direct access you get to him and his staff, and the great customer support they provide. 

I suggest you question yourself, why would you have anyone else modify your unit?

I'm acquiring a stock dynaco st-70 and will have somebody improve/modify it.  I have a AVA Tube preamp and am considering  a match with AVA mods to this dynaco.  In reading all the options and choices available I'm wondering why AVA mods are recommended...seems quite expensive but yet not as complete or extensive as many other mods for less money.  I would like to hear from forum members who have this mod and compared it to others why I should send it to Frank for his work....thanks
dla405j
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2009, 10:38 pm by Tone Depth »

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2009, 03:24 pm »
I might mention that an AVA amplifier based on the Dyna St-70 iron was rated the best bargain at the recent Rocky Mountain Audio Fest by the editor in chief of The Absolute Sound.  He told me as he was leaving the room that we had "wonderful sound".  The AVA electronics were driving Salk Songtowers at the time. He, along with several other editors, requested review samples which we will provide as soon as we can ship.  We are waiting only for the finished new faceplates to arrive.

There were a whole lot of other vacuum tubes at the show for him to choose from.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

boycephoto

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2009, 11:58 pm »
Beside everything that has been said earlier, there is one really good reason to get an AVA Ultimate 70...

it sounds fantastic!!   

dla405j

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2009, 10:31 pm »
thanks everybody for the replies....very informative...I'm conviced...will call AVA monday morning and make plans to ship my dynaco st-70 for mods.  Will report here the result.
Dla405j

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2009, 10:36 pm »
thanks everybody for the replies....very informative...I'm conviced...will call AVA monday morning and make plans to ship my dynaco st-70 for mods.  Will report here the result.
Dla405j

Sweet!!!  :thumb:

Congrats, and welcome to AC!!  :beer:

Have fun,
Jerry

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2009, 12:07 pm »
You will be happy you did so.

Normally when you buy a piece of stereo equipment, over time you begin to hear its shortcomings.The nice thing about AVA is that it continues to sound good, if not better, year after year.

audiojerry

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2009, 03:03 pm »
I want to thank JerryM for directed me to Bill Thomas's narrative. It reinforces my belief of how amazingly nice and generous folks are in our audio community.   

DeadFish

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2009, 02:29 am »
I just love a happy ending... :thumb:

DF

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:56 am »
It reinforces my belief of how amazingly nice and generous folks are in our audio community.

+1  :thumb: