USB DAC suggestions please.

stump4545

USB DAC suggestions please.
« on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:21 am »
any usb enabled dac to recommend under 2k?

i heard benchmark dacs get great reviews.

thanks for the leads

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: USB DAC suggestions please.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:58 am »
For that kind of $$$ you could get a Firewire DAC... say a Metric Halo ULN-2 would be high on my list.

http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/ULN2_2dExpanded.html

dave

mshan

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:04 am »
Lavry DA11 would be competitor for the Benchmark.

Bel Canto has a new integrated amp with 24/96 dac built in for $2500 msrp (S300iUSB, I believe).

I also saw a new Quad 9L Active speaker that has an usb input.

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:18 pm »
Slightly more than your budget: Ayre QB-9 @ 2.5K.
Less than your budget but not yet done: Wyred4Sound DAC @ 1.5K.
Right at your budget: Red Wine Audio Isabellina with USB option @ 2K.

Will2

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:26 pm »
Get hold of a Buffalo32s DAC from Twisted Pear that someone has built, or wait for the new board to come out and get someone to build it for you, or build it yourself.  Built cost should come in at a bit less than $1k and from what I've read it matches or betters anything under $2k.  Mine is coming soon but I won't have compared it to other DAC's - there are a few members here who have and who might be able to share their opinions. 

sac8d4

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:32 pm »
MHDT Havana USB DAC

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:34 pm »
On the NOS side, you won't hear a better DAC than the Havana. Just make sure you buy a WE396 because the usual [cheap] tubes just sound bad. All in, you will be under $1k.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:35 pm »
There's a flood of new inexpensive USB DACs with good reviews.

MusicStreamerPlus
DAC Magic
V DAC
Devilsound
Hagerman Chime
various pro sound cards M-Audio, etc

I'd try Cambridge Audio DACMagic first ;)

srb

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:46 pm »
Get hold of a Buffalo32s DAC from Twisted Pear that someone has built, or wait for the new board to come out and get someone to build it for you, or build it yourself.

AFAIK, the current Buffalo32s doesn't have a USB input and would require an external USB to S/PDIF converter.

The upcoming Wyred4Sound DAC-1 @ $1500 sounds promising, as it has the ESS 9018 DAC and it has an Asynchronous 24/192KHz USB input.

Steve

pardales

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:11 pm »
So much out and coming out. I think you can find something for under 1K that will satisfy you and strongly believe it is crazy to spend more than that on digital these days, unless you have money to burn. Try to take advanage of some 30 day trials so you can hear a few pieces in your own system. Start with a sub $500 DAC and then work your way up if necessary.

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:14 pm »
Eastern Electric's forthcoming DAC is another ESS Sabre based DAC coming out, with the option of switching between tube and solid state (op-amp) output stages. sub-$1000 price.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:28 pm »
Eastern Electric's forthcoming DAC is another ESS Sabre based DAC coming out, with the option of switching between tube and solid state (op-amp) output stages. sub-$1000 price.

As long as you don't plan to playback high resolution files, as the USB input is limited to 16/48KHz.

Steve

guest46813

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:02 pm »
I believe USB is today limited to 24/96.

quoc

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:09 pm »
It looks like the Wyred 4 Sound DAC will have Asynchronous 24-bit 192kHz USB input. Yay! Hi Rez through USB.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:12 pm »

That seems to be the standard resolution capability on a USB input, and 24/96 is certainly high resolution and a world apart from 16/44.

However Wyred4Sound is claiming 24/192 on their USB input, and M2Tech is also claiming 24/192 on the USB input to their HiFace USB to S/PDIF converter.

Steve

guest46813

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:18 pm »
Async USB at 24/192 implies (today) a proprietary non USB standard compliant driver. If that is the case, this means you need special drivers written (and continually supported) for all the hardware and OS platforms out there, as in the case of the Chinese Musiland (which they could not do for MAC for example), besides increasing the odds of incompatibility.

The next generation of USB standards that extend beyond 24/96 is not out yet.

quoc

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:28 pm »
Me and a few of the guys down here are about to do a little DAC comparison using some of the latest and greatest.

So far we have the Tranquility DAC. http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1262235905&/Db-Audio-Labs-Tranquility-DAC-

It is a USB only design.

One was loaned to me to use at RMAF and it was outstanding. It was part of a system that several reviewers picked as best bargain and best bang for the buck at the show.

I liked it so well that I bought one.

Also in the mix is a new Wolfson evaluation model. This isn't a product yet but could be at some point. Preliminary thoughts are that it is outstanding.

We also have one of the new 32 bit Buffalo DAC's coming. Gary Dodd Assembled it for a customer and it's running on batteries. His preliminary thoughts are it is outstanding. It also has USB input.

There is another that I don't know much about that is a kit. It is an imported design with a tube output. It appears to be loaded with good parts and I think it has a USB input too.

It will be a few more weeks until we have the get together and comparisons. We plan to have several in different locations using different systems.

If anyone else has something really top notch that they want to send down, bring down, or have loaned to us for this comparison then please let me know.

srb

« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2009, 06:15 pm »
Async USB at 24/192 implies (today) a proprietary non USB standard compliant driver. If that is the case, this means you need special drivers written (and continually supported) for all the hardware and OS platforms out there, as in the case of the Chinese Musiland (which they could not do for MAC for example), besides increasing the odds of incompatibility.

The next generation of USB standards that extend beyond 24/96 is not out yet.

True.  M2Tech's latest proprietary software driver will only work with the Foobar, Winamp and MediaMonkey players under Windows and iTunes under Mac, as they must operate in a kernel streaming exclusive mode.

Wavelength's proprietary Asynchronous Streamlength software driver at 24/96 doesn't seem to have any player limitations.

Don't know what Wyred4Sound has up their sleeve.

Steve

cryoparts

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2009, 08:59 pm »

quoc

Right now, special drivers are generally required for 24/192 USB.  However, not for long.  Soon, some new products will be out that utilize the native drivers, at least on Mac.

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2009, 09:03 pm »

Not for long.

Peace,

Lee