Feels good to come back

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
    • 33 Degrees East WoodWorking
Feels good to come back
« on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:02 am »
The last time I was here I was trying to sell my GR home theater setup because I was moving and had no room to store it. Well luckily I didn't take a huge loss on them by selling and found some place to store them until I done building the new house to get them back into service.

The first stereo cabinets I made 3 years ago were my first real venture in woodworking other than bird houses and such. Fast-forward three years and now I do wood working for commission when I have time and have built my own 4'x5' CNC Router which brings up two reasons I came back.

The first is that I want to build some new enclosures for my speakers and I figured I would put a build log up so I could learn from you all since I did not do that last time. (Well I did, but it dropped off once I got really into the build)

The second (and I hoping I am not stepping on Danny's toes, I spoke with him briefly through email and also spoke briefly with him on the phone this morning, I know he is a very busy guy) is that I think that I could help a lot of people (especially with the nature of the new V line), with expediting your enclosure building by getting pre-cut, flat pack assemblies from me. I am not looking to make a lot of money off of these, as an example I would charge $21 for an AV-1 enclosure not including shipping, which I believe those are small enough for flat rate boxes from the post office. I would also only charge for actual shipping costs, no handling or anything like that.

I kind of wanted to get a feel for the waters and see if anyone was interested. Once Danny gets new files up for the V series I can lay them out and see how much an enclosure would cost. Definitely want to keep the cost out to the customer as low as possible.

I could also offer pre-assembled enclosures, but I am afraid the shipping costs would not be worth it to most people, but it would definitely be an option.

The biggest thing I would like to do is help some of the people out that don't have the tooling that I do that would like economically make a set of speakers. I have been there on building things where if I had the right tools, it would have been much easier. Just wanting to make it easier on some of you that might not make a set of speakers because the wood working aspect of it scares you away or you don't have the tools to do the cutting.

All prices are introductory prices only. If I feel I can make the product for cheaper, I will pass the savings on to you. If I am killing myself for peanuts, I will raise them.  They are per enclosure, and do not include shipping.

All ordering and shipping operations will be ceased once current orders are fulfilled. To many current obligations prevent me from keeping up with the volume and schedule that I would like. I hope to return in the fall once my house is completed (I am building it myself) and I have the workshop at the house outfitted with the new 8'x10' CNC

I want to thank the forum for all of the support and business over the last couple of months. I hope to do business with you all again soon.

AV1   $21
AV1RS   $34.50
AV2   $39
AV3   $72
AV3S   $32
AVO   $82
N1   $28
N1X   $31
N2X   $31
N3   $72
N3S   $35
0-3   $104
OB-5   $148
OB-7   $185
OB-7   $185
Super V   $205
SW 12B   $78
SW 12 04 Sand   $104
SW 12 04 Sealed   $78
SW-OB   $43
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2010, 03:46 pm by swaggs21 »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Feels good to come back
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:10 am »
21 bucks for a flat pack is an insane deal.  :D  I am sure that you'll have several folks take you up on that..... shoot, I'll take a pair and I need it like a hole in the head.  How do I send you payment?

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:15 am »
Just tell me which kit you want, if it is the AV-1 kit, let me cut them first and make sure that my files are right, and then I will be able to tell if I can flat pack them in flat rate boxes from the post office. That is by far the most cost effective way to ship.

If you are serious let me know what kit so I can get you a price (sans shipping) and then we can go from there.

tmoney1876

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:41 am »
I would be interested in some endcaps for a sonotube sub built with a rythmik sub... aa

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:48 am »
And tmoney brings up something I forgot.

I would also be willing to custom, one off things as well. That includes other designs, carving the exterior of the cabinets (I should have a preview of this sometime this weekend), carving 3D additions for the enclosures, etc.

Anything you want and I can design (which does limit some things) I will cut and ship.

To see some of my custom carvings go to http://www.33degreeseastww.com and take a look around the gallery, there is a section for Finished CNC Projects.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:18 am »
That is some incredible and beautiful work!

I would definitely be interested in a pair of AV1/RS cabinets.  Not sure yet how I'd want them finished but I'm leaning towards just painting them white or maybe just going for some cheap veneer.  I could go the flat pack route or possibly even have you assemble them depending on cost and my available funds.

Where are you located?

dvenardos

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:35 am »
FedEx/UPS ground is pretty reasonable you might want to consider doing towers also, like the N3.

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2009, 11:53 am »
FedEx/UPS ground is pretty reasonable you might want to consider doing towers also, like the N3.

Oh, I am open to the whole line of GR-Research products. I have 4 of the modeled up so far, and would be willing to model up any others that customers were interested in. I don't charge for modeling or set up fees unless you give me a picture and say make dimensions from this :o

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ektagrande_files/Ekta_Grande_cab-dim_v1.GIF
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ektagrande_files/EKTAGRANDE_JESPER_04.jpg
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ektagrande_files/EKTAGRANDE_JESPER_05.jpg

How about a cabinet like this?

I would have to have the full dimensions to see how much wood it would cost me and time to machine, but that is a piece of cake to do with the CNC. The modeling of it takes a little time, but it is definitely doable.

Oh, and stupid millimeters :D

That is some incredible and beautiful work!

I would definitely be interested in a pair of AV1/RS cabinets.  Not sure yet how I'd want them finished but I'm leaning towards just painting them white or maybe just going for some cheap veneer.  I could go the flat pack route or possibly even have you assemble them depending on cost and my available funds.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the compliments :D

The AV1RS are a little tricky to manage with putting together, but I have done it before sans CNC, I am sure I can do it again. Of course, that is what my rear speakers are, so I will be making at least 1 pair of cabinets for the AV1RS to test the drawings out before I start making them for customers. That is one thing I will insist on. If you have me cut something for you, I will draw it up, cut it, and make sure the every piece is dimensionally the way that you want before it is shipped. I may even cut a duplicate and assemble it first to make sure that I have all of the correct proportions. I want everyone to be happy with my work.

I am located in North Central West Virginia, around a small town called Lumberport. I work in Touchdown City (Morgantown, WV) and travel up and down the eastern sea board every once in a while, we have family scattered all over.

persisting1

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2009, 12:24 pm »
What would you charge for a LS6 flat pack?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2009, 01:12 pm »
You are going to get a TON of business. And you are too modest about your work. You may need some help, or limit yourself on how many orders you can handle at any one time so that people aren't waiting too long.

Good luck and welcome back!

Anand.

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2009, 01:48 pm »
What would you charge for a LS6 flat pack?

I have not been able to find a good, clear dimensional drawing of the LS6, so if you could link me to one I will draw it up in my cad software and get back to you later today sometime.

You are going to get a TON of business. And you are too modest about your work. You may need some help, or limit yourself on how many orders you can handle at any one time so that people aren't waiting too long.

Good luck and welcome back!

Anand.

Thanks for the nice comments. I hope that I do find some business. I am building a house right now and sure could use the extra cash. I won't take an order if I can't ship it in 7 days or less, unless the person specifically tells me that is ok. At that point we will agree on an acceptable timeframe, and I will guarantee shipment by then or I will refund the money + 10%.

I am not in the business for bad business. I really want to help the DIY community more than anything else.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:12 pm »
Swaggs,
Just checking to see if you got my PM.  The PM system has had some problems lately. 

Scott

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:12 pm »
I will take a av1 for $21

MikeDE

« Reply #14 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:24 pm »
Count me in for an AV-1 pack as well. I would also like to get with you on a sub enclousure and 2 baffles for another project.

Thank you - Mike

HT cOz

« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:29 pm »
Sounds great.  I'm interested in 2 pairs of AV-1RS.

cleestedwood

« Reply #16 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:32 pm »
I also would be interested in a pair of AV/1RS flat packs.

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
« Reply #17 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:49 pm »
Wow, I am more than encouraged by the response. I am modeling up the N3 right now, and will get some prices in the next hour or so.

Like I said guys, give me tonight to cut a couple of the ones that you requested, I will snap some pics, and if I am satisfied, I will start getting more sent out the door.

For the ones that have PMed me, thanks, I am pretty sure I have replied to everyone. I will also be updating my site in the near future to handle all of the transactions through paypal so that both buyer and seller are both covered.

Thanks for your patience, and I hope to do business with all of you.

swaggs21

• Industry Participant
  • Man of God
« Reply #18 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:11 pm »
Just got done modeling up the N3. It is a lot like the AV3 so there weren't a heck of a lot of changes, which is good for me :D

I would like to sell the N3 flatpack for $72 (not including shipping) each. I know that Danny says that 3/4 MDF in Florida is $18.00 a sheet, but up here it is almost 30. If I can get some better suppliers I could drop the price some because of material cost. Shipping is going to be a little tricky, might have to cut some custom size boxes to ship these bad boys in.

Will keep everyone updated as things progress. These prices are also intro prices until I can cut a couple of kits and see if my prices are correct. If they are, they will stay the same, if my costs are lower, the price will drop, if they are higher, the price will go up a little, but I doubt it will be a huge chunk.

I would also like to add if you want these made out of 1" or 1.25" MDF I can also facilitate that, but the cost will be higher for those upgrades due to higher material cost and more machining time.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #19 on: 6 Nov 2009, 03:19 pm »
Welcome back!  You're professional work looks great :thumb:
I think you'll get plenty of biz here.  Reasonable priced flat packs will be a boon for newbies without woodworking experience or proper power tools.
To give the group an idea of a larger project, please quote a flat pack for the A/V-3's.  I built a pair and know what my labor content was, so I'd like to see your pricing.  Also, for guys who can cut their own sides, tops and bottoms, but can't/won't get into routing driver, port and terminal cup holes, you might consider offering only baffles, which would also save quite a bit of shipping expense.
Best wishes for success (and that extra cash flow)!