McGill University in Montreal running tests on Digital Resolution Perception

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hi All,

McGill University in Montreal ordered a Bryston BDA-1 External DAC yesterday to run some test on whether we can perceive the differences between 44/48/88/96/176/192 digital resolution music files. Should be interesting and I will be involved.

The professor heading up the tests info is posted below:

Daniel J. Levitin, Ph.D
McGill Professor
Director, Laboratory for Music Perception, Cognition, and Expertise
Department of Psychology, McGill University

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2009, 03:28 pm by James Tanner »

EDS_

James you are an interesting guy.  Seems to me this is a great opportunity to learn more about a number of ifs, hows and whys.

Are you a Leafs fan? 

WBimmer

James, please keep us all posted on the results.

Wayne.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
James you are an interesting guy.  Seems to me this is a great opportunity to learn more about a number of ifs, hows and whys.

Are you a Leafs fan?

Leafs Fan? - sadly yes.

james

Mag

I'm going to speculate that there is more harmonics and air between notes on higher bits and sample rates.

My observation comparing redbook cd to sacd, Sacd has more depth & body. However with Yamaha 7-channel enhancer applied to redbook cd through the BCD-1. The cd has better harmonics than sacd. If Yamaha Enhancing could be applied to sacd, IMO sacd harmonics would be improved as well. 8)

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."

Are you a Leafs fan?

Leafs Fan? - sadly yes.

james

Look on the bright side James...

With your association with Bryston, you are dealing with an extremely high quality, high performance and highly reliable, sought after product. At the extreme other end of the spectrum, you are a leafs fan and part and parcel of this affiliation means that you must endure a very low quality, poor performing and highly unreliable hockey/golf team (I understand that they are much better golfers).

After all, we must have balance in our lives   :lol:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
I'm going to speculate that there is more harmonics and air between notes on higher bits and sample rates.

My observation comparing redbook cd to sacd, Sacd has more depth & body. However with Yamaha 7-channel enhancer applied to redbook cd through the BCD-1. The cd has better harmonics than sacd. If Yamaha Enhancing could be applied to sacd, IMO sacd harmonics would be improved as well. 8)

I am going to speculate that Professor Daniel J. Levitin, Ph.D, just wants a BDA-1 to listen to. The rest is just a cover story.  :green:

EDS_

Are you a Leafs fan?

Leafs Fan? - sadly yes.

james

Ron Wilson is a great coach, the Sedin tampering fiasco aside.  It may take some time but the Leafs will be playing well.

ian.ameline

I am going to speculate that Professor Daniel J. Levitin, Ph.D, just wants a BDA-1 to listen to. The rest is just a cover story.  :green:

Yeah -- he'll probably come around asking for a BP26 and a couple of 28Bs next. :-)

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Now that is cool.

For those that don't know, Levitin is the authour of "This is Your Brain on Music". This book is one of the few on my must read list.

Very well qualified to do useful tests IMHO.

dave

danman

James, you have the most interesting job!!! :D

Levi

Hi James,

This is interesting.  Can the results be published...well atleast here?

--Levi

Hi All,

McGill University in Montreal ordered a Bryston BDA-1 External DAC yesterday to run some test on whether we can perceive the differences between 44/48/88/96/176/192 digital resolution music files. Should be interesting and I will be involved.

The professor heading up the tests info is posted below:

Daniel J. Levitin, Ph.D
McGill Professor
Director, Laboratory for Music Perception, Cognition, and Expertise
Department of Psychology, McGill University

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Hi All,

Well folks I think the report (not released yet) by Professor Levitin - Ph.D on higher bit rates will certainly be controversial!

james

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama

Levi

Great news.  Maybe the experiment gets published in a journal that I can download from my University database. :)

I am sure Professor Levitin has figured out the variables and the controlled groups. 

Do you know what other equipment he is using for the experiment?

Robert D

James
Claude from Sons Ideal had sold a couple of pairs of B&W 800D's to McGill University
Not to long ago

Robert

Levi, I'm sure james will find out the Scoop
on The other Equipment

Levi

Word!  :lol:  :o  :thumb:

I wonder what is his abstract.  Can't wait.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
James
Claude from Sons Ideal had sold a couple of pairs of B&W 800D's to McGill University
Not to long ago

Robert

Levi, I'm sure james will find out the Scoop
on The other Equipment

He told me B&W 801's

james

dburna

"This Is Your Brain On Music" is an interesting read.  It's about how we process musical information and its linkage to our emotions.  High-level, so it's not a very technical read (surprising coming from a professor!), but it's definitely informative.  Some have criticized the book for not being more technical/in-depth, but those folks are misguided -- that's not what the book is intended to do.

Levitin has also written "The World in Six Songs: How the Musical Brain Created Human Nature".  This is a book attempting to (ambitiously) merge neuroscience and evolutionary biology.  I have it on my stack to read but haven't gotten to it.

I'm looking forward to the results of Levitin's study.  Should be "discussion-worthy".

Best,  -dB

Levi

I just checked his website and he has many published works.  He is Psychoanalyst.  :thumb: