This is a seven year old house, so you wouldn't think
there'd be much in the way of electrical problems.
For the first time this year, we've had a real bad problem with voltage fluctuations. It was my assumption that the outside AC unit was the culprit since the house lighting dimmed badly when it engaged. The brown-out was bad enough that it would turn off my Harman Kardon AVR receiver and
That's bad. Very bad.
This, despite the fact I've got a Belden UPS installed to save these components from just such a problem. As it turns out, I think the battery's in the UPS are bad, so it's essentially just a large power strip. That's a problem for another day.
I had an HVAC buddy come over to check things out. He thought it was in my best interest to install a soda can sized cap on the outside compressor. For $45, I figured, "Sure. Why not".
Didn't help at all.
Drastic times call for drastic measures. Right?
I wired my Fluke 83 to an outlet and set it to record "Min/Max" voltage. When I installed it, the voltage was about 115. Ok, fine.
Within the first 24 hours the Min/Max ranged from the high teens to the low 120's.
The next day though, I saw a reading of 98 volts.
Thought it might be a good idea to check the breaker box inside. Hanging on the wall outside my house is a 200 amp breaker that will shut off the entire house. I tripped the breaker. Back inside at the main breaker box I ran a screwdriver down all of the bolts, on each and every breaker. They're all tight. Then I get an allen wrench to check the torque on the main lugs. They're a "little" loose, but not alarmingly so. With high hopes I turn the power back on to the house and reset the Fluke meter to record.
The next day I get a Min voltage of 80.4 volts.............
Time to call the electric company. This isn't good.
The guy comes out, checks things over and says, "It all looks good. You should be fine now".
"What did you find" I ask.
"Nothing, it's all good. You've got 240 volts at the transformer, 240 volts in your box. It's split up on two legs, each carrying 120 volts".
"No.....It's not". I tell him about the Fluke still plugged in, and still holding the 80.4 volt reading. I showed him the current reading of 116 volts. (good). I showed him the Max voltage of 124 (great). Then I show him the 80 volts.
He about shit himself.
Good. Now we're getting somewhere.
He put in a work order to have a "recorder" installed. Basically the same thing I've got going on with the Fluke, but I understand they need to see it themselves with their equipment. That was yesterday. He said it would take a day or two for them to install the unit.
By the way, the transformer hanging on the utility pole was installed when my house was built. It only serves my house.
We'll see. Wish me luck.
Please pray for my equipment, that it doesn't fry.