HD Radio vs. SACD

stlrman

HD Radio vs. SACD
« on: 29 Jul 2009, 01:18 pm »
I have the Sony XDR-F1HD radio that I got for 5o bucks a while back with their mail in coupon.
I love it!!! Even for the list of around $100 it is well worth it. The sound is fantastic. I have been listening to classical hd radio alot.
Is there a difference in the sound quality of the hd radio and the SACD's Im listening to?
Thanks,
Todd

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: HD Radio vs. SACD
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2009, 01:33 pm »
At most, depending on the HD processor at both your end and the station end, the capability is redbook (cd) quality, although most report more like medium quality MP3.  Nothing close to HiRez, regardless.

G.Michael

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2009, 04:44 pm »
Some HD Radio trivia: The phrase "HD Radio" is trademarked.  As for radio technology itself, apparently "HD" doesn't mean much of anything.  The perception that HD means 'high definition' is used to promote HD radio.  According to a listing on Wikipedia, HD Radio enables "FM stations to achieve near-CD-quality audio."  (I haven't actually heard it, myself.)

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2009, 04:59 pm »
Thanks Ted !
G. Michael I would take a listen , I am very happy with the sound. Listening to the classical station here , to my ears it sounds like my best recorded cd's. I will have a friend take a listen to see his impressions. I could listen to the HD radio all day, and do sometimes.
Todd

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2009, 07:34 pm »
I have the Onkyo T4555 HD/am/fm/sirius tuner and I use it lots during the day while I'm working in my studio. FM sounds very good while it varies between other rock stations between very good and so-so. The nice feature about the Onkyo is that the HD portion is defeatable with the touch of a switch and with it's remote control is extremely robust in the build quality department as I think most Onkyo stuff.

It is not, however, equal to CD or SACD quality, but in many cases better then the analog version counterpart, with way less noise and better frequency response, as well as dynamics.

Wayner :)

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2009, 09:56 pm »
Sony XDR-F1HD  $77 at j and r cant wait to buy one

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2009, 10:15 pm »
I have the Sony XDR-F1HD radio that I got for 5o bucks a while back with their mail in coupon.
I love it!!! Even for the list of around $100 it is well worth it. The sound is fantastic. I have been listening to classical hd radio alot.
Is there a difference in the sound quality of the hd radio and the SACD's Im listening to?
Thanks,
Todd

HD stands for Hybrid Digital, not High Def. I believe the specs are similar to MP3 with 64k bit rate. Not sure how it stacks against good FM.... :scratch:

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2009, 10:40 pm »
I've heard the Sony and the Onkyo is better.

Wayner :)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2009, 10:40 pm »
Gang,
Now that this HD radio thread has clearly shown that it's not a HiRez subject I am going to move it.  Continue to post away, it's a good discussion, but it will end up temporarily in Limbo (because there are no real Circles currently for the subject.  Music is mostly software and actual music, Source to Ear is synergy-related, and Starter Block is not right either). 

I'll let the Admin staff decide.  Thanks

Ted

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2009, 10:43 pm »
I have the Sony XDR-F1HD. I don't know about how it compares with SACD but I easily prefer the sound quality of my hard drive based system using the Bolder SB3 with a modded Mhdt Constantine DAC.

-Roy

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2009, 11:51 pm »
Well, it does mention HD Radio vs. SACD.  And I too don't know of a better circle so we may just pass it back atch ya  :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2009, 11:55 pm »
Well, it does mention HD Radio vs. SACD.  And I too don't know of a better circle so we may just pass it back atch ya  :wink:
\
Fine with me.  Just trying to do my moderator dance.  :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2009, 01:39 am »
Music is mostly software and actual music, Source to Ear is synergy-related, and Starter Block is not right either). 

Hey...let's get that right Ted....it's The Starting Block.... :wink:  :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2009, 04:44 pm »
Hello all,
I listen Radio only in Low-Fi Internet at www.radiotime.com (over 100 thousands stations world wide for free).
For me radio has to be a Low Fi sound quality, with interruptions, statics etc, it is very romantic this way, HD radio is to clean and sterile for these ears.
Also I love Stereo SACDs, no DVD-A or BluRay(music). HD Radio and SACDs have no much in common to make a disputation.
Regards, Gustavo

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2009, 10:22 pm »
Hello all,
I listen Radio only in Low-Fi Internet at www.radiotime.com (over 100 thousands stations world wide for free).
For me radio has to be a Low Fi sound quality, with interruptions, statics etc, it is very romantic this way, HD radio is to clean and sterile for these ears.
Also I love Stereo SACDs, no DVD-A or BluRay(music). HD Radio and SACDs have no much in common to make a disputation.
Regards, Gustavo
hi gustavo,

if you ever heard a quality broadcast on a quality tuna, you would change your tune about fm being a lo-fi sound quality medium.  :wink:  it is easily comparable to the finest digital and analog playback systems.  and, if a stations happens to be broadcasting a live ewent, which happens occasionally, it can be even better

regarding the sony xdr f1hd, i have found my stock xdr eminently listenable - but *only* with an ase z-man tube buffer between it and my tube preamp. otherwise, it's yust too sterile...  w/o the z-man, it is ok, but only in small doses; too fatiguing for a long term listening session. fine for background music. (something like sirius, on the other hand, literally gives me a headache after listening for a half hour or so, even as background music, and the only time i tried an actual listening session in the "sweet spot", it lasted all of 10 seconds before i literally jumped for the remote to turn it off - it was truly painful, similar to hearing someone drag their fingernails across a blackboard.)

i am definitely interested in modding an xdr; i think mike williams does great work, but i think his $150 audio mod is over priced a bit.  ( http://radioxtuners.com/Sony%20XDR-F1HD.htm )  i'd send him one to mod in a heartbeat, if i could get the deluxe audio mod and the switch to force analog for $100 total; the other mods do not really interest me. raising it for cooling is a great idea, but i have already done so, sticking it on some ~1" aluminum blocks i had lying around, for a measured 10-15 degree drop in temps as measured at the vents on the top...  if you can diy, there are mods shown here:

http://www.ham-radio.com/k6sti/xdr-f1hd.htm

the xdr f1hd is generally considered to be about the best performing hd tuna around (wayner, i need to check out the onkyo sometime.)  i find it sonically close to my best tunas, but only w/the tube buffer mentioned above.  on noisy stations, it is far and away the quietest tuna i have heard, even including such stellar performers as modded sansui tu-x1, modded sansui tu9900, modded accuphase t109, modded hk citation 18, rotel rht-10, accuphase t100, yamaha tx1000, etc; all which i owned or still own...

ymmv,

doug s.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2009, 02:21 am »
Excuse-me DougS I not express me well. I mean I like to listen radio in Low-Fi quality, as in a cold, rainy night, with static and others noises from the heavy weather.
I think this is a romantic way of listen music and people talk far away, that fill the heart and the imagination fly... cause you are listen the high atmosphere of the planet,
if the radio was a old tube receiver better yet.
Sincerely,  Gustavo