Are we not audiophiles?

ricmon

Are we not audiophiles?
« on: 1 Jul 2009, 06:13 pm »
This had to be said and Steve Guttenberg has done a fine job of it.  Check out the article at Chesky Records web site.

http://www.chesky.com/core/body_librarydetails.cfm?newsid=160

Ric

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Are we not audiophiles?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2009, 05:43 am »
Here's Steve with Emil...photo from Emil's N.Y. Audio Rave meeting in Feb. '09.... :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2009, 11:54 am »
Julian Hirsch with a 300B stashed away for clandestine listening....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:....... love it!

Browntrout

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2009, 07:39 am »
I have met people who get more enjoyment from reading/buying/talking about stereo then listening to music. It's like they have become focused upon the minutia of the hobby.
  If someone asks me if I'm an audiophile with the definition being:
         "A person having an ardent interest in stereo or high-fidelity sound reproduction"
  I have to say yes but is there not a more apt word for someone who listens to good music as an interest?
  We don't refer to someone who enjoys very good wine as a wineophile rather as someone with good taste or a descriminatory palette.
  Why not a connoisseur of fine music?
  The term 'phile conjurs ideas of irrational obsesive behaviour and surely this could be used to describe anyone striving for perfection in any field, but it is not is it?
  A racing driver knows about cars and how to get the best out of their setup better than a mechanic but would rather be racing than working with engines and suspension, this is the same difference that most guys are trying to get across, certainly it's how I would look at my interest in stereo.

JackD201

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:44 am »

We don't refer to someone who enjoys very good wine as a wineophile rather as someone with good taste or a descriminatory palette.
  Why not a connoisseur of fine music?

I believe the term for wine connoisseurs is "Oenophile" but there are no derogatory implications unlike  "Wino". To a lesser degree there's "Gourmet" and "Gourmand" the latter referring to occasional gluttony with "Glutton" the parallel of "Wino"  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the "phile" part just got a bad rap because it is attached too often to classes of sex offenders but in itself the implications are supposed to be positive. Bibliophile for books, Cinephile for films, the list is a long one. There's even "Arctophile" for Teddy Bear lovers. Wait  I take that last one back. That IS creepy :lol: Somehow only Audiophile gets lumped with the bad kinds of "philes". Sadly it is audiophiles in denial and the occasional "poser" that actually called this down upon every music and gear loving dude or dudette on the planet.

I think it's the whole point of the author to set things straight. That being an Audiophile isn't a bad thing and like Oenophiles or Bibliophiles it should be a badge of discernment and not derision. :)

Browntrout

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2009, 12:46 pm »
Quite so. However I can enjoy music (and wine) all the more when not consciously thinking about it, its' workings or its' worth.
  Having looked up audiophile on an online thesaurus there was no similar word found. Looking in an online encyclopedia gave a good read here....
http://www.reference.com/browse/audiophile

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2009, 01:03 pm »
I thought we had this thread just last week...

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2009, 03:07 pm »
Quite so. However I can enjoy music (and wine) all the more when not consciously thinking about it, its' workings or its' worth.

Ahhh  YES! And that is what it SHOULD be :)  It all boils down to state of mind  :thumb: On a bad day though, that state of mind can be elusive for me   :duh:

Having looked up audiophile on an online thesaurus there was no similar word found. Looking in an online encyclopedia gave a good read here....

Very comprehensive and non-disparaging. Thanks for the link Browntrout.

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2009, 03:09 pm »
I thought we had this thread just last week...

Hi John,

This thread is more about an article by Steve Guttenberg as posted by ricmon. If I recall, the other thread was more about general musings. Very similar though.

All the Best,

Jack

R_burke

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:15 pm »

I like it, and can live with it, in fact with this definition I am proud to call my self a "phile"