London Food

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
London Food
« on: 23 Jun 2009, 04:32 am »
The trip was 5 days (6 days counting travel time) of touring punctuated with some good meals and snacks with one or two notable exceptions.

The first afternoon we went to Kensington Gardens. We ate at The Orangery. This was fun - the building is so orange that you could think that is why it is called 'The Orangery'. Actually it was a conservatory specifically for growing oranges, etc., hence an 'Orangery'. Now it is converted into a tea room for tourists of Kensington Palace and Gardens.

We had a rather large meal as we were hungry! We had a good variety of tea-time foods: smoked fish, cheese, cucumber sandwiches, a scone with clotted cream and preserves, and pieces of cake, and of course some varieties of tea.

Scones turned out to be nothing like I have had in the U.S., in Boston or Charlotte. In the U.S scones are hard, crusty pastries with the consistency of a 'Pecan Sandie'. They may have blueberries or Cranberries or Maple flavoring, but they crumble to pieces when you bite them.

In London they are soft like dinner rolls and actually look like a biscuit. This one was very large, we had a couple at Fortnum and Mason's The Float that were about one third as large. But they were soft and warm, you could tear them apart.

The interior of this conservatory was airy and filled with light, a very pleasant experience. We were never rushed and had to ask for the check.

Definitely a must for tea

Grumpy_Git

Re: London Food
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2009, 09:34 am »
jqp.

That looks very nice. I shall have to head down their with the mrs sometime. It looks a lovely place.

Nick.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2009, 07:26 am »
Nice snaps.  I'd like to visit again one day.  The scone looks tasty.

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:57 pm »
If you want good food in London I've heard that you need to order curry.  :lol: :thumb:

toobluvr

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2009, 03:02 pm »

I lived in Ldn for a few years......tea time is a wonderful experience.

And the scones with clotted cream are to die for!
 :drool:

Unfortuately, if one indulges a bit too much, the cream is not the only thing that gets clotted.