Re: How to rip Hi-Res

jamesg11

« Reply #60 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:00 am »
& working well for me, in OSX.

Anyone got some tips? - specifically with dvdae, is it enough to just select dvd disc & let it summarise the audio offerings, OR is it always best to look at each file, to see if there's a 24/96 lurking?

Marius

« Reply #61 on: 29 Aug 2011, 02:08 pm »
+1 here, working great.

Only thing that could be better is a translation from chapter to track title. Have to manually edit all chapters now to be meaningful in the resulting rip.
Like to hear tips for that too!

Marius

& working well for me, in OSX.

Anyone got some tips? - specifically with dvdae, is it enough to just select dvd disc & let it summarise the audio offerings, OR is it always best to look at each file, to see if there's a 24/96 lurking?

klao

« Reply #62 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:33 am »
To retrieve DSD information from an SACD you will need 3 things. A transport, converter and workstation.

Transport - We use the Playback Designs MPS-5 ($15k) or the EMM Labs CDSD-SE ($10k) to play an SACD. These machines use a proprietary ST-optical output that streams a DSD signal.

We use 2 methods to capture this DSD stream.

An EMM Labs ADC8-IV ($8500) will capture the ST-optical stream and convert it to SDIF-3, staying in the DSD format.

Then a Pyramix DSD/DXD workstation ($20k) captures in real-time, the DSD data stream.

Instead of the Pyramix, sometimes we use a Sony Sonoma  workstation ($15k) that captures the ST-optical signal from the transport.

Once we have the DSD data, we have to convert it to PCM for HDtracks using a SRC software called Saracon ($2k).

As you can see this is expensive and time consuming to do.

We belive this is the only way to extract DSD data from an SACD. We spent a couple of years trying everything else.

I came across this article.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/features/939-editorials/1497-editorial-notes-on-converting-sacd-music-tracks-to-pcm-in-disc-players.html

Wonder if I should continue downloading from HDTracks for files higher than 88/24?  Thanks in advance for everyone's comment.

Subhunter

« Reply #63 on: 26 Mar 2012, 07:49 pm »
Good thread , thanks !

Don_S

« Reply #64 on: 12 Apr 2012, 06:26 pm »
I have only read the first two pages of this thread.  It seems complicated and I fear I am doomed before I start.

DVD Audio Extractor requirements include a Pentium IV or better CPU. I have a Pentium D 3GHZ with 3GB RAM.  Has anyone run DVD Audio Extractor on such a lowly, dated CPU?

I only have 3 DVD-As and two DADs to extract and I am not sure they are worth the trouble.  My impetus for trying extraction is music that I want which is not affordable on CD (OOP) but is available new on DVD-A. That would be Lorna Hunt.  I am not going to buy the DVD-A unless I am sure I can extract it.

Thanks, Don

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #65 on: 12 Apr 2012, 06:32 pm »
Don, You can send them to me and I;'ll extract for you if ya want.  Need hard drive or USB thumb drive or something.  But DVDAExplorer or DVD Audio extractor should run ok.

Don_S

« Reply #66 on: 12 Apr 2012, 06:50 pm »
Ted,

Thank you for the offer.  I will PM you later. 

Don, You can send them to me and I;'ll extract for you if ya want.  Need hard drive or USB thumb drive or something.  But DVDAExplorer or DVD Audio extractor should run ok.

slingshot

« Reply #67 on: 21 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm »
As we mentioned, there are two specific tools to rip DVD-based HiRez to your hard rive for later playback via software players, Squeeze Center (up to 24/96) etc.  They address two distinct DVD signal paths.

1)  For those standard DVD's and DAD's that have 2 channel PCM HiRez layers (Neil Young Live at Massey Hall, Classic DAD's like Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else or Muddy Waters Folk Singer...or the DVD-V side of the HDAD of same) the best and easiest tool I've found is called DVD Audio Extractor.  It can be found easily on the Web and has free trials. Here's one link:
http://www.castudio.org/download.php

It rips up to 24/96 (the highest Rez on standard DVD's).

2) As mentioned in the thread above, to rip the "other white meat" of DVD audio lore, the very proprietary Meridian Lossless Packed (MLP) HiREz of DVD-Audio discs (up to 24/192) a piece of software called DVDAExplorer is used.  The link is attached above.  This software looks in the Audio_TS folder (as opposed to the Video_TS folder in DVD-Video discs) and presents the user with the option of ripping the dedicated 2 channel title (name of layer in DVD-Audio world) or the multichannel title (which usually looks like 2 streams, one is labeled lf-rf-ls-rs, the other labeled c-lfe).  You want to rip the 2 channel layer (title) for 2 channel playback.
(Note: multichannel ripping is possible but a subject for another day...wayyyy too much work IMO).

On some DVD-Audio discs (or the DVD-Audio side of the less popular two-sided HDAD's) there is no 2 channel title, only multichannel.  Fear not, for in most of these situations there is a hidden table (called SMART) embedded within the disc that maps the multichannels into a downmix that is quite good and still quite HiRez 924/96 usually).  Discs like Beatles-Love, Natalie Merchant-Tigerlily are examples.  In these cases the later versions of DVDAExplorer has a simple check box called "get stereo donwmix" that will read the SMART table and do the rip properly.  Here is a screenshot from Version 2008.7.21(beta 3)

Let me know if any questions.  Enjoy.

Ted, just saw the info on DVD Audio Explorer (Explorer) and it is great. Thank you for your diligence in putting this and all the other info on the site. (Looking into ripping SACD next, looks pretty formidable.) Do you live near MA? I will be your new best friend.  I had been using DVD Audio Extractor (Extractor) but it wouldn't show 192Hz/24-bit as one of the options. In fact, although there are boxes to click on the left hand side with different time periods only one seems to work. I have the Rat Pack, Live at the Venice Villa in 192Hz/24-bit and as I type this it is being extracted in the Explorer program.  I noticed on all of the tracks the Copy Control states 48Khz/16. Not sure what that means.

I also have the Tommy DVD-Audio. Disc 1 kept showing as 6 channel in the Extractor program although it seems to copied it as two channel. I just ripped it with the Explorer. There are 25 tracks on Disc 1. Extractor ripped 21 and Explorer could only rip 20 tracks. Is there a limit on lenght of time that can be ripped?  Live at the Venice has 29 tracks and the Explorer ripped all of them. I am going to compare all the versions and see if I can hear any difference.  :D