Tragedy Strikes! In Search Of New Double-Conversion On-Line UPS for Audio System

Jon L

Tragically, after many years of faithful service, my XS Technology Strata 1000 power conditioner appears to have died, and finding a suitable replacement is proving quite difficult.  Music now sounds like grey, cold corpse warmed up in a microwave (exaggerated for emphasis, but the joy is gone nevertheless).

This is double-conversion "On-Line" battery-backed UPS that cost $800-900 back in 2000 or so, not to be confused with cheap "Interactive" UPS devices one picks up at Best Buy.

The differences are nicely explained here from web search:

"* "Interactive UPS" These use solid state switching that can react within an AC cycle. Though not totally glitch proof, they are much better than the above. Also with these the inverter can come on line and assist the incomming AC line voltage. They can increase it if it is low but typically do nothing if it's too high. This is a form of regulation. As the inverter must now be synchronous with the AC line, it's design is far more complex. Also the output is more often than not a modified square wave or "stepped" square wave to better approximate a sine wave. Better computer and electronic stores carry these.

* "On-Line UPS" In this class there is no relay or switch for changeover. That's because the inverter is always powering the load outlet. The incomming AC is converted to DC and the battery pack is summed to it with diodes. That means the two DC sources are combined to feed the inverter. (It's actually a bit more complex in that the line obtained DC is a bit higher to keep the batteries baised off until needed, but there is no significant switch time.) While these system can get by with a square wave or stepped sinewave, they are almost always true sine wave as the quality class demands it. As the inverter is the power source, it is re-generated AC and we don't need surge protectors or filters in it's output. As the AC power is re-generated, it is easy to tightly regulate. These are typically not found on store shelves and must be ordered from specialty suppliers."

XS Technology units were similar in technology to current "On-line" units such as:

Audiophile APS 1050 ($2500) reviwed here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue20/aps1050.htm

Powerware 9125 commercial grade unit ($1200) was enthusiastically reviewed here:

http://www.soundstage.com/planethifi/planethifi200210.htm

APC S-15 ($1500) reviewed in Enjoythemusic:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0806/aachapter82.htm

In this review, Bill Gaw even says:

"If you've read my previous articles, you know that my system is already very isolated from AC noise, using the THOR unit from Nordost, two Environmental Potentials 2450 units at the system and their 2050 wave correction unit at my junction box, and high end audio cables and Walker Audio Velocitors on all equipment, so the system should have optimal isolation from the worst the power company can dish out.

Well this unit surpasses all of them when used alone and actually cleans up the power further when used in addition to the above."

My XS Tech unit had similarly glowing reviews back in the day but no longer accessible on-line since mags like Planethifi went away.  One excerpt at the time said, "The PS Audio and Tara were remarkably similar, in my system anyway, while the XS handily bettered them both." 

So what's the problem just buying one of the units mentioned to replace the XS Technologies unit?  Fan noise and price.  In the Powerware review, the reviewer loved the sound but the fan noise was loud enough that he had to place it in another room and drill hole in the wall!  XS Tech unit was totally fanless, but the company has long been defunct. 

Even the expensive audiophile version (APS Audiophile) has a fan that can be heard in the listening room, though reportedly pretty quiet.  The price also becomes a big problem here, at double the commercial units. 

There are other commercial units that are supposedly "On-line" at around $600-800 mark such as Opti-Ups DS-series, MGE Pulsar OL series, and Liebert GXT2, but they all seem to have non-quiet fans, rated around 45-50 dB at 1 meter noise level, which is too high IMO.  The other problem is there is virtually no reviews in audiophile context to see if any are built well or improve sonics. 

If anybody out there is using double-conversion, on-line UPS for their audio system and can comment, I would strongly appreciate it!  :banana piano:

I suppose other suggestions for a non-UPS solution would be useful, too, but I must tell you that I have personally not found other technology to give me the same degree of drop-dead purity while increasing detail AND sweetness at the same time.  I *have* personally tried balanced power (BPT), audiophile-grade isolation transformers with and without filter circuits, AudioPrism quietlines, AC capacitor tweaks, Ferro-resonant conditioners, etc. 

I have also listened to various others in various conditions, and while not optimal evaluations, I can say I have never heard the particular effects I heard with my XS Tech unit.  These would include Hydra, API, Running Springs Audio, Felix, Audience AdeptResponse, Worldpower Power Wing, Exactpower, PS Audio, Bybee, and others.

Big Red Machine

I can get you Powerware at approx 50% of retail.

Jon L

I can get you Powerware at approx 50% of retail.

Thanks for the offer.  The reported fan noise is a big problem, though.  I suppose I could hack in and install a quieter fan, but that will void the warranty  :(

chadh

Probably a stupid question here, but is there any chance of getting the XS Tech repaired?

Chad

Jon L

Probably a stupid question here, but is there any chance of getting the XS Tech repaired?

Chad

Unfortunately no.  The company has been out of business for years, and its internals are full of many, many small surface-mount type digital chips, too complicated for repair at some local electronics shop. 

chosenhandle

what's the round thing with the dial on top?

Big Red Machine

what's the round thing with the dial on top?

Looks like a variac.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Why not try one of the Majik Buss conditioners that Danny Richie is offering to send out if you cover shipping?  Nothing to loose.

Jon L

Why not try one of the Majik Buss conditioners that Danny Richie is offering to send out if you cover shipping?  Nothing to loose.

Well, in my anxiety, I have ordered the APC S-15, mainly because it's fan doesn't kick in unless the battery backup kicks in or power draw becomes higher than rated. 

The Majik Bus sounds interesting, but there just is not enough information about what's going on inside for me to really consider it.  Besides, I'm SOLD on the double-conversion from battery DC reservoir. 

Perhaps the PS Audio Premier would have been a good choice, but it is $2200 and does not run off battery reservoir, which I personally feel where that extra magic might be coming from. 

I have my fingers crossed the APC S-15 restores my system's former glory  :dunno:

Rasta

Hi Jon,

Your post has me interested in these devices.

Does the S-15 do true "double conversion" or is it some kind of "online" hybrid?  None of the literature seems to state it as true double conversion, although it does seem to generate a sine wave.  Another confusing issue with the literature, is that they call it a "power conditioner".  No need to condition the power if you are regenerating it.

I'm curious why you picked this unit?  Was it just a matter of price and noise?

TIA!

Jon L

Hi Jon,

Your post has me interested in these devices.

Does the S-15 do true "double conversion" or is it some kind of "online" hybrid?  None of the literature seems to state it as true double conversion, although it does seem to generate a sine wave.  Another confusing issue with the literature, is that they call it a "power conditioner".  No need to condition the power if you are regenerating it.

I'm curious why you picked this unit?  Was it just a matter of price and noise?

TIA!

I picked S-15 mainly because it's at least been tested and reviewed by some audiophile reviewer types and because it's been directly observed not to activate its fan in normal use, kicking in only when power is cut off and battery is used solely or power draw exceeds the spec. 

Who knows.  If it wasn't for the continuous fan-noise issue, some of the cheaper units mentioned above may sound just as good... or maybe not, but no audiophile has tested them and wrote about them.   

Rasta

I hear you about the fan noise - I can't stand it.

It's really hard to know, without listening, how one's system might sound with these units.  Are they really load insensitive?

Perhaps, your new purchase will resurrect that corpse.   :wink:

shokunin

Jon,

I had the S15 (I think it was an s15) for a few weeks along with the PS PPP, I still have the PPP while the S15 was returned.  I don't think the S15 is going to do what you're looking for (technically).  From my understanding the S15 topology is a line interactive, meaning it's more of a voltage regulator and uses battery to supplement power to regulate voltage back up to 120v.  So the battery is in play only when the voltage dips.

I never got around to ordering a true "double-conversion" w/ battery or delta conversion UPS, but the APC RT series or symmetra series are true double conversion of AC-DC (battery) DC-AC.  That is one of the reasons why the S15 fan only kicks in during battery power.  If it was doing true AC-DC Conversion, the fan would come online more due the heat generated by the conversions.  Fan noise can be remedied by swapping it for a quiter version PC fan.

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=223

Glenn

Jon L

I never got around to ordering a true "double-conversion" w/ battery or delta conversion UPS, but the APC RT series or symmetra series are true double conversion of AC-DC (battery) DC-AC.  That is one of the reasons why the S15 fan only kicks in during battery power. 

Hey, Glenn, thanks for the info.  It's very difficult to actually find out what kind of UPS APC S-15 is from their literature.  I called and talked to APC Tech, and after fumbling initially, they were eventually able to confirm their S-series *is* line-interactive, not on-line.  Their RT series is the on-line UPS. 

My S-15 actually arrived with cosmetic damages and went back, but I suppose that was a blessing in disguise because a replacement I ordered then turns out to be a true on-line, double-conversion unit  :)

And yes, I did get to try the S-15 in my system before sending back...  What advantages did you hear from PS PPP, which is supposedly much improved from the previous PS Audio products?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I had APS purepower 1050.  Fan noise could be heard in quiet passages or in between tracks.  It had other issues.

APS replaced it with the new 2000 model (20 amp) and the fan noise got a little louder.  Then I received the kit (from the company) to reduce the fan speed.  With the fan speed reduced by 50%, I don't hear anything from my listening position even in silent passages.  The catch is that you must have a cool running environment to be able to reduce the fan speed.  I am sure you can get one with this already installed. 

Performance on the music side has always been excellent.

Jon L

I had APS purepower 1050.  Fan noise could be heard in quiet passages or in between tracks.  It had other issues.

APS replaced it with the new 2000 model (20 amp) and the fan noise got a little louder.  Then I received the kit (from the company) to reduce the fan speed. 

Yes, the higher power output models of most brands have higher noise.  When you installed the "kit," did it have 2-pins (usual for these types of devices) or 3-pins (usual for most computer "quiet fans")? 

When I get my unit, I expect to just replace the stock fan with one of the quiet PC case fans, which shouldn't result in significant air-volume reduction, but I do expect having to fiddle with the 2-pin:3-pin conversion and mounting screws, etc. 

BTW.  Do you power all your gear, including the big tube amps, from your UPS??

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I can't be sure but I think they connectors were only 2 pins.  My memory is not as good as it used to be.  :duh:  APS claims that they already use one of the quietest fans out there.  Couple of years ago, I was given the spec and asked to find any fan with more quiet spec and I couldn't.  And I searched all the usual PC suppliers like Frozen CPU, EndPCNoise as well as Newegg.  Maybe there are better fans available now.  BTW, there are 3 fans.

P.S.  I power all the sources and the big tube amps (for mid range and treble) through the APS unit (running at 50%) capacity.  I power my woofers (10 of them) and 6 associated amps directly from a dedicated 20 amp circuit protected by Zero Surge wall unit. 
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2009, 12:08 pm by woodsyi »

shokunin

What advantages did you hear from PS PPP, which is supposedly much improved from the previous PS Audio products?

Hey Jon,

The PS audio PPP does a number of things well and some bad as well..  With the PPP in place the music has more groove/pace to it, the micro-details are more noticeable, the leading edges and air around instruments and more noticeable.  Without the PPP in place, it was kind of like huh, hmmm, blah... and I'm not as involved with music without it.  I actually prefer to plug my speaker's 1000w ICEpower bass amps into the PPP but that would mean i'd probably need two or three PPPs.   Right now it's just the sources and the darTZeel amplifier are plugged into it.

The bass is well defined but somewhat lacking in ultimate dynamics.  You can hear a slight restraint on fast transient bass line, even though I'm well below the 1500w threshold (without the ICEpower's plugged in).  As with many double conversions, the blackground is quiet, dead quiet and works well on my turntable direct-drive motor/controller. 

Ironically, my power coming in is quite well regulated.  Even during the daytime I rarely see it under 118v 119v, but the double conversion in the PPP is doing something right. 

I have Mike's synergistc research Powercell in my system right now, and even though it's not a double conversion but a passive conditioner, the dynamics and imaging differences between it and the PPP are not subtle.  I plugged-in my HD DVR into the powercell and the effect on watching plane jane Stereo  TV channels was quite profound.  I sat there listening to the music on a frakkin commercial because the imaging was way beyond the speakers.  I need to swap Mike's Powercell 6 for a Powercell 10SE as Synergistic research is just 4 miles from my house.

As with anything power-conditioning wise it's always a YMMV based on your local power. 

shokunin

Yes, the higher power output models of most brands have higher noise.  When you installed the "kit," did it have 2-pins (usual for these types of devices) or 3-pins (usual for most computer "quiet fans")? 

When I get my unit, I expect to just replace the stock fan with one of the quiet PC case fans, which shouldn't result in significant air-volume reduction, but I do expect having to fiddle with the 2-pin:3-pin conversion and mounting screws, etc. 

Hey Jon,

There really is no difference between a 2pin and 3pin computer fan.  The third wire is for RPM sensoring used by most motherboards to alter the speed based on temperature or some other factor.   If you don't want to meddle with molex pins just buy this for 99cents

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3594

I never use screws to put computer fans on a case, it just means more vibration transfer to the sheet metal.  Many people use rubber press fit pins, silicone gaskets w/screws, or my personal favorite, velcro from home depot.  Dampens and easy to remove to clean and replace as it gets louder with age.

ltr317

Hi.  What's plugged into the variac?  I'm assuming you want to maintain a constant voltage whatever it is.