One More RM-V60 Goes Digital

Housteau

One More RM-V60 Goes Digital
« on: 28 Mar 2009, 05:43 am »
I will have something to post soon.

Housteau

Re: One More RM-V60 Goesd Digital
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2009, 06:36 am »
Yes, I know I am a bit late. But, better late than never I say. There has been so much written on the forum about all the benefits going digitally active. Which is kinda funny in one way. I had always actively biamped in the past, but needed to go passive when I purchased the V60s. It took some convincing then that passive was the way to go. Well, that was then and this is now. So, I didn't really need convincing to go back the other way.

What kept me in check for a while was that I was finding it hard to accept that the  DCX 2496 was good enough to be placed in my signal chain. I was very pleased with my system and didn't see a reason to plunge myself back into audio hell by changing a major part of it and possibly screwing it up.

One of the most important things I learned on this forum was that the Mike Galusha modified DCX was the way to go, and it was quite a different sort of animal all together from the standard DCX. Something else that I learned was that I couldn't have one, because I had waited too long and Mike was no longer modifying them. The decision was easy at this point, just wait some more and commit later. I am good at that.

Then out of nowhere I get a forum message from zybar saying that he had been in touch with Mike and was told I was looking for one of those special units.  He no longer had the speakers he was using his modified DCX with and wanted to pass it along.  So, thanks to some great communication within our forum family here my waiting was over and it was time to commit.

I have only been working with the unit for a day and a half and have already learned so much.  There were just a few learning pains in the very beginning, such as needing to re-enter the code into the remote, and not noticing a previous factory setting preventing output from channels 3 & 4.  But, those got sorted out fairly quickly.  I had already studied up on the unit and so it was time to set and verify programming, then connect to my system.

This DCX came with some high expectations, but it also had some pretty darn good shoes to fill.  To be honest, my first impressions were not good.  It was different, but better?  I didn't think so.  In fact I thought it was worse, much worse.  There had to be something wrong with what I was doing.  I called an audiophile friend over who had just heard my system two days earlier.  I wanted to know what he noticed.  He actually liked the change, especially the midrange.  However, to my ears there was something very wrong.  Yes, there was great clarity and detail, but one thing my system never did was cause listening fatigue and now it was there in spades.  I was not a happy guy.

I continued to work it with waveguides on, waveguides off, different EQs on, off etc.  I tried to talk myself into believing that maybe my previous set-up was too polite sounding and this here is the harsh reality that live music can sometimes be.  Then, just a few hours ago I found it.  It was a simple mistake.  I had completely screwed up one of the EQ settings and hadn't noticed it until now.  A decimal point in the wrong place had me going in circles for a day and a half.  It had corrupted the entire spectral balance of the music.  With that corrected it all snapped into sharp focus instantly and literally.  It was truly amazing, a smack in the face actual night and day difference.  It took a whole 30 seconds of listening to know I really had something here.  Now that I have climbed back out of audio hell, the fun was about to start.

More soon.  Time for a little sleep, now that I can :).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: One More RM-V60 Goes Digital
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2009, 07:04 am »
You will never, ever, ever, find a more transparent and detailed speaker than the fully active VMPS speakers.  Welcome to the club ;)

sendler

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:54 pm »
needing to re-enter the code into the remote

It sounds like your DCX has the remote multi channel volume controlled output mod which will allow you to run digital in. I would be interested in getting your impressions on analog vs. digital in. If you like the digital in, you can use a stock DEQ2496, digital in/ out, in front of the DCX. It's graphic EQ is much easier and intuitive to fine tune by ear than building and moving various shelving and parametric filters in the DCX to try to tailor the crossover to your specific room/ speaker setup.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2009, 01:45 pm »
Dave,

Glad to hear that things are working out.  I know that the unit made a HUGE difference in my setup and was worth every penny.

I had hoped to not sell Mike's highly modified and upgraded DCX, but I am glad it went to a good home and will be put to good use.

I also wanted to thank Brian who was very helpful in working with Dave on the VMPS specific programming.   :thumb:

George

PLMONROE

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2009, 03:31 pm »
needing to re-enter the code into the remote

It sounds like your DCX has the remote multi channel volume controlled output mod which will allow you to run digital in. I would be interested in getting your impressions on analog vs. digital in. If you like the digital in, you can use a stock DEQ2496, digital in/ out, in front of the DCX. It's graphic EQ is much easier and intuitive to fine tune by ear than building and moving various shelving and parametric filters in the DCX to try to tailor the crossover to your specific room/ speaker setup.

Scott, my next project is to do exactly that and feed my DCX with one of my DEQs (I have two, one stock and one modded). But to do that I have to get my unit unlocked so I can activate the digital input. I have not succeeded yet as I don't have the unlocking code and am reluctant to erase everything and go back to the factory reset and start over. Addition of the DCX should greatly enhance  room EQ capability. As soon as I succeed I will report.

Paul

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2009, 03:38 pm »
It's puzzling your DCX won't unlock, but if you have to reset, I can give you the current settings including a new, small tweak I used at CES.

Eventually all DCX owners will have to familiarize themselves with its functions and learn to enter settings.  It's only intimidating at first, then it becomes a lot of fun.  At the Show I did a daily reprogramming based on problems identified the day before.  Dave helped me and knows all about it.  It is flabbergasting how small changes in the settings can improve matters top to bottom.

Housteau

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2009, 05:39 pm »
It is flabbergasting how small changes in the settings can improve matters top to bottom.

And as I found out, how the opposite is also true to a near unimaginable extent.

But, that is in the past now and the future looks mighty bright indeed.  Now I am having fun.  Audio fun for me is being at the place where I can just sit back and fully enjoy the music.  I had been very stubborn thinking that great improvements were also a thing of the past.  After all I was very happy with my system and how much better could it get?  I absolutely hate reading different reviews where every new componet, or change is described as a life altering experience.  I mean how could it be?  I didn't want to be one of those guys.  But, you know what?  It just happened to me.

I have only had time to work with the direct analog in.  I want to fully understand and maximize this before trying the digital input.  My room has good acoustic dimensions and is properly treated.  I only have a few bumps in the frequency responce and they are all above 200Hz.  The single band of parametric EQ in my Dayton HPSA1000-R 1000W sub monos has it + - 2 db from 20 to 40Hz.  There are two dips, one centered at 47 Hz and another around 88 Hz.  The bumps are small at maybe 4 db and I plan on using the DCX to take care of them later on, but do not feel the need for the DEQ.

I am running line level out of my Monarchy tube DAC section directly to the inputs of the DCX.  Between +3 and +5 on the analog input controls keeps the levels just tagging yellow occasionally.  The unit is set for LL MM HH and I am using channels 3 and 4 full bandwith for left and right VLA subwoofer outputs.  The correction for having the waveguides installed is set and those guides are mounted.

In a word, the change the DCX brings to the table is truly staggering.  I had started to listen to the v60s with the waveguides off for the last few months and appreciated their openness and sense of acoustic space like that.  At the same time there was something a bit too much listening in this way.  The correction setting in the DCX for using the waveguides not only meets what I had enjoyed using them off, but moves far passed that to an unbelievable place of highly musical resolution with not a hint of what had started to bother me before.  This struck me recording after recording.  Even those known to be a bit pushing the harsh side of things now were not harsh at all, just fully resolved and not smoothed over.  There is a huge difference between the two.  I plan on experimenting with the waveguide off once again, but not right now.  This is just too good and I want to enjoy things right here first.  Once I get a good understanding of where I am here it will be time to see what other pleasant surprises await me.

More to come.

Oh, I did have another  small problem.  Where could I place the DCX?  I had just bought a pair of two shelf amp stands and they were full.  I wanted to keep it away from the heat as much as possible as well.  Then I realized how much space their was below each first shelf.  I made a new shelf and mounted some old Tip-Toes underneath and placed it on the floor under the left stand.  That was perfect and below the heat of the amps.

PLMONROE

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2009, 05:56 pm »
Glad to see that you finally got things perking, Dave. What the Behringers do with Mikes modifications is truly amazing!

It's puzzling your DCX won't unlock, but if you have to reset, I can give you the current settings including a new, small tweak I used at CES.

Eventually all DCX owners will have to familiarize themselves with its functions and learn to enter settings.  It's only intimidating at first, then it becomes a lot of fun.  At the Show I did a daily reprogramming based on problems identified the day before.  Dave helped me and knows all about it.  It is flabbergasting how small changes in the settings can improve matters top to bottom.

Please PM them to me Brian. It looks as if a reset may be the simplest course of action. Thanks

BTW, what sort of rabbits do you have hidding in your hat to pull out next?

Paul

tbrooke

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2009, 11:50 pm »
I'm glad to hear it worked out. It seems clear to me that active is the way to go but I still don't think a stock DCX2496 will cut it. I think You can get the parts for a good upgrade and probably the same as Galushi's here: http://www.pilghamaudio.com/index.asp?pgid=51 but still it would be quite a project. I hope Brian reads this and comes up with a modded DCX solution.

Tom

PLMONROE

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2009, 02:24 am »

Eventually all DCX owners will have to familiarize themselves with its functions and learn to enter settings.  It's only intimidating at first, then it becomes a lot of fun. 

HOUSTON WE HAVE A GO!

Got 'em Brian. Thank you very, very much. I just finished doing the factory reset and found that reprogramming this little jewel is a piece of cake (especially compared to that of a DEQX or DEQ2496). As we speak I have the digital out from my transport playing through it and the sound is pretty amazing! Now as soon as I find time I can hook up my other 2496.   aa

Paul

PLMONROE

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2009, 02:37 am »
I'm glad to hear it worked out. It seems clear to me that active is the way to go but I still don't think a stock DCX2496 will cut it. I think You can get the parts for a good upgrade and probably the same as Galushi's here: http://www.pilghamaudio.com/index.asp?pgid=51 but still it would be quite a project. I hope Brian reads this and comes up with a modded DCX solution.

Tom

Tom, when Mike was moding these units I am sure he was doing a lot more than just adding the new Jan Didden board. If he sees this and chooses perhaps he will expand on what all he does that makes his modded DCX2496s sound so exquisite.

Paul

Housteau

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2009, 03:31 am »
Adding in the modified DCX changes several things all at once.  It eliminates passive crossovers, adds speaker driver correction, room correction and replaces a preamp.  That is a lot going on there.  Then, if you go digital in it replaces even more.  In my case that would be a DAC and Upsampler.  So, it is hard to try and quantify exactly which attribute where is bringing forth all these improvements.  Is it one more than the others, or does everything just work so well together that it is truly a combination of everything?

For example, I have read a lot of reviews on my Monarchy DAC which is also a preamp.  Most reviewers consider the Tube DAC as state of the art, but limited by the preamp.  The preamp is quite good, just not as good as the DAC and so all the maximum performance possible is not there when using both together.  The DAC is connected internally to the preamp, but it also has line level outputs available to bypass it.  Now with this DCX this is the first chance I have had to do just that.

From what I can tell so far the preamp section of this modified unit is at the least very good indeed.  I haven't read too much about it as most of the concentration has been more with the speaker and room interface options.  I think it deserves to be mentioned more that the preamp section is not just an extra added goodie, but a major addition to system performance.  Now that I am just listening to music before I move on to more option testing, such as using the digital input, I have had the chance to notice a few things.

One of the things that is striking is the total quiet between selections.  It is a whole new level of blackness that the music emerges from and returns back to.  I haven't tried my phono section through it yet, but hope to do that in a day or so.

sendler

More Mods
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2009, 11:59 am »

more than just adding the new Jan Didden board.

You can also replace the reciever/ clock/ digital voltage regulator, and the analog voltage regulators. All are available from Pilgham Audio.
http://www.pilghamaudio.com/index.asp?pgid=51
http://www.pilghamaudio.com/index.asp?pgid=55
http://www.pilghamaudio.com/index.asp?pgid=56

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2009, 12:56 pm »

Tom

Tom, when Mike was moding these units I am sure he was doing a lot more than just adding the new Jan Didden board. If he sees this and chooses perhaps he will expand on what all he does that makes his modded DCX2496s sound so exquisite.

Paul

Here is what was done to the unit I sold Dave (as per Mike):

Linear Audio (Didden) analog IO kit

Frank Oettle SRC (Sample Rate Converter)/Clock/Input Receiver

All electrolytic caps on DSP/DAC board replaced with Black Gate

Voltage regulators on DSP/DAC board replaced with Oettle regs

Digital input wired direct to transformer with RG-179 75 ohm coax and
terminated with precision 75 ohm resistor

DAC's upgraded to latest AKM AK4396 (this was a special one time thing - not sure if the chips can be easily obtained again)

+/- 15V analog power supply lines have 100uH chokes and two of the caps
on the DAC/DSP board changed to 220uF create an LC filter. These are the
only two caps that are not Black Gate.

"Felix" power conditional/filter between IEC and switching PSU. All
power wiring replaced with 18GA cryo treated teflon insulated wire.

Install AudioQuest Silver NextGen 75 ohm RCA female socket.

To be honest, this and all the DCX units Mike modified are an outright steal!! 

Mike should have charged significantly more than he did - maybe that is one of the reasons he isn't building them anymore.

As for the performance, Dave is realizing just how good it is.  I thought the preamp section was very transparent and did an excellent job.  It certainly isn't the weak link in the chain.

George

Housteau

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2009, 04:29 pm »
It sounds like your DCX has the remote multi channel volume controlled output mod which will allow you to run digital in. I would be interested in getting your impressions on analog vs. digital in.

I tried it this morning, but not all possible options.  I was not able to do an instant A/B comparison since my Proceed transport needed to be physically switched in and out.  I ran it directly into the DCX.  For analog the transport first goes to a Monarchy Upsampler, then to the Monarchy NM24 DAC and both the Monarchy units are plugged into their own AC Regenerator.  There is also an 18' interconnect connection in there.

The direct feed to the DCX reminded me of my friends Benchmark DAC1 when it was plugged into my system, very clean, focused, precise yet musical.  The Benchmark it quite a revered little unit these days and so this is high praise.  However, like several published reviewers, I preferred the Monarchy signal chain over that of the Benchmark.  I preferred it for the same reasons I chose to buy it over the Benchmark a while ago.  Maybe it is the tubes.  To my ears the sounds take on a more realistic palpable texture to them.  They seem to flow rather than be forced.  The DCX while having all the positive attributes I described, also comes close to sounding a bit sterile compared to the Monarchy chain.

Now with all that said, it really was not a fair comparison.  The Monarchy had the Upsampler and AC Regenerator as well.  I still need to try it with the Upsampler feeding the DCX.  The Proceed also has multiple digital outs.  If they can all be used at the same time I may be able to set-up more of a direct comparison.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2009, 05:39 pm »
It sounds like your DCX has the remote multi channel volume controlled output mod which will allow you to run digital in. I would be interested in getting your impressions on analog vs. digital in.

I tried it this morning, but not all possible options.  I was not able to do an instant A/B comparison since my Proceed transport needed to be physically switched in and out.  I ran it directly into the DCX.  For analog the transport first goes to a Monarchy Upsampler, then to the Monarchy NM24 DAC and both the Monarchy units are plugged into their own AC Regenerator.  There is also an 18' interconnect connection in there.

The direct feed to the DCX reminded me of my friends Benchmark DAC1 when it was plugged into my system, very clean, focused, precise yet musical.  The Benchmark it quite a revered little unit these days and so this is high praise.  However, like several published reviewers, I preferred the Monarchy signal chain over that of the Benchmark.  I preferred it for the same reasons I chose to buy it over the Benchmark a while ago.  Maybe it is the tubes.  To my ears the sounds take on a more realistic palpable texture to them.  They seem to flow rather than be forced.  The DCX while having all the positive attributes I described, also comes close to sounding a bit sterile compared to the Monarchy chain.

Now with all that said, it really was not a fair comparison.  The Monarchy had the Upsampler and AC Regenerator as well.  I still need to try it with the Upsampler feeding the DCX.  The Proceed also has multiple digital outs.  If they can all be used at the same time I may be able to set-up more of a direct comparison.

FWIW, I preferred the analog input with my full blown Bolder Cable Squeeze Box setup.  I realize that this meant an extra A/D conversion, but it still sounded fuller and my organic going that route.  I never got around to trying the same test via my Modwright Transporter. 

George

sendler

Two DACs
« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:38 am »

It seems that I must stand corrected. Two DACs (and an ADC) can sound better than one.

mgalusha

Re: Two DACs
« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:06 pm »
It seems that I must stand corrected. Two DACs (and an ADC) can sound better than one.

Scott,

I had a hard time with this as well but I ended up running the tubed output of my source through the A/D -> D/A of the DCX as well. It seems to be transparent enough to allow the tube flavoring to come through even though the last DAC in the chain is the AKM in the DCX. It bugs me from a technical perspective but it seems to work well enough. I had a bunch of folks over for a listening session and I level matched the SPDIF input vs the analog input from the same source and toggled between them. Everyone present preferred the analog input even with the two extra conversions.

PLMONROE

« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2009, 12:12 am »
My Northstar transport has both S/PDIF and I2S outputs, with the latter sounding somewhat more natural and musical. I also have some 2,000+ Cd's on the hard disks in my server. Because the Behringer has neither I2S or USB inputs I have no choice but use an additional DAC that allows me access to both. So I found that unless I wanted to forgo active biamping I also was stuck with using two DACs. I was initially fearful that the two A/D - D/A conversions would muck up the sound but I found to my amazement that this is apparently not the case. Part of the reason may be the quality of the DACs in question. One is in Mike's fantastic Behringer modification while the other is the new Overdrive by Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio.  This unit also has incredible transparency and I will venture to say can easily compete with anything in the under $10K range. Although in theory multiple A/D - D/A conversions should be avoided  I have encountered no difficulty. In addition to the preceding, last night I entered yet another unit into the system, my modified DEQ2496. Now I have an A/D - D/A conversion being made by the Overdrive with its analog outputs going to the DEQ2496 which does another A/D conversion and then sends its digital output to the DCX2496 for a final D/A conversion. Even with all this  there is absolutely no degregation in sound quality so far as I can detect. Interesting!

Paul.