Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle

JakeJ

Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle
« on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:29 am »
Hello and welcome fellow tube-o-philiacs,

I’m sorry to be a bit late in rolling out the welcome mat but I see it hasn’t stopped anyone and that’s great!  That’s kind of a rule of thumb when visitors come to my home, if you want something then speak up, or just help yourself.

This Circle is for those who love tubes, their soft glow, and their wonderful sound.  Please feel free to spout off about your tube-based gear and system.  Show us the new (and old) tube gear you own or just bought.  Got a Nixie tube clock?  Tell us where you got it (or how you made it) and how much it costs, someone else may want one too.  If it's electronic and got a bottle in it we want to know and see!

Circuit topology discussions, kits and their manufacturers, tube choices and sonic comparisons are all welcome.  Solid state rectification and voltage regulation allowed.  DIY is also allowed but if you already started in The Lab then feel free to place a cross reference link here, and vice versa.  Please, ladies and gentlemen, no arguments about tubes vs. solid-state, both have a place in our audio universe and I own both.

Have a thermionically enhanced day,
JakeJ

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Welcome to The Tube-O-Phile Circle
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2009, 05:53 pm »
Congratulations the new Circle Jake!  :thumb:
Things are looking pretty active so far, nice job Sir!

Bob

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2009, 02:29 pm »
Thanks for taking this on, Jake.  Another place where I can feel totally at home :D.

-- Jim

iGrant

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:32 pm »
Cool that it happened Jake, I've been away basically since it started, but hope to have some fun chatting about some of my favourite things.

Cheers,
Ian

weirdo

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:40 pm »
Recently acquired my first tube integrated. Its a Rogue Cronus. I am still in the honeymoon phase but I will be looking for slightly brighter preamp tubes in the future I think. The unit uses 3 12AU7 and 2 12AX7. for the 12AX7 I am thinking about the LPS because I have enjoyed it as a preamp tube in the past. Any suggestions for 12au7 woud be appreciated. The stock are EH and as I said before, I am loving the unit to death so nothing will get swapped out soon. The mids on this unit are like liquid gold.

dangerbird

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2009, 11:21 pm »
Tubes Rule

mlgill

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:57 am »
anyone know a good source for wholesale supply of 6550 tubes .......

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:45 am »
I think that I've found the place for me!

Pez

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:28 am »
common mistake, this forum is only for this kind of tube:

Sorry!

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:12 pm »
I think that I've found the place for me!
<snip .jpg>

Hi Steve,

Welcome to AC and the Tube-O-Phile circle.  Have fun and put up a system page when you get a chance.  Checked out your gallery, Maggies and big tube amps!  Cool!  Uh-oh I think I'm gettin' a big woody.  :oops:

JakeJ

Hank Murrow

Three for the Circle_the Linestage & Phonostage......
« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:29 pm »

A custom Linestage built for me by Paul Birkeland employing I.A.G. Transformer Volume Controls (Sowter/Shallco "C" series 27 position switch) at the input, and has a hybrid shunt-regulated power supply using EL84 tubes as current sources supplying 6C45Pi tubes which are coupled with TFTF V-caps to MagneQuest B7 all-Cobalt output transformers in  parallel-feed.

The Phonostage, using the “Eros” circuit designed by Paul Joppa of Bottlehead; with one stage added for slightly more gain and lower output impedance.

The signal side is an EF86 directly coupled to a 6922. The 6922 is cap coupled with a TFTF V-cap to a 6C4 transformer coupled voltage amplifier, which is coupled via another TFTF Vcap to the 125 ohm center tap of the Magnequest Nickel B7. This arrangement is ideal to drive the low- impedance TVC's in the linestage. The dual hybrid shunt-regulated power supply in the left box uses 6X5 rectifiers and 6S4 tubes as regulators.

The octal sockets accommodate Peerless 4722 step up transformers for low output moving coils. When the 4722s are inserted, the MC inputs are used. If MM cartridge or hi-output MC is used, the 4722s are removed.

Hank Murrow

The third custom piece by Paul Birkeland: the 2A3 Amp......
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:40 pm »

Front view of the 2A3 amp showing separate enclosures for the left and right signal circuits with separate hybrid shunt-regulated power supplies between them in the center chassis with 6S4A’s as current sources.

Rear view showing the output taps and the umbilical for the LED 12V bias supply.

MQ 15335 input transformer at left, MQ filament choke for the 2A3. 6CK5 driver loaded with current source, MQ BCP-16 Cobalt grid choke for the 2A3, MQ EXO-03 plate choke for the 2A3, and 6 uf parafeed oiler near the output taps.

Completely separate Power Supplies for each channel with BH PT-5 transformers feeding separate hybrid shunt-regulated power supplies with 6S4A’s operating in the hybrid regulator circuit. Amp weighs in @ 47 pounds & needs the fan!

Top detail: 6CK5 driver tube, CuTf V-cap, 2A3 output tube, TFA 2004 Jr. M6/Cobalt parafeed transformers, and Pyramid 6uf oiler parafeed caps.
The whole system is dead quiet, has great dynamics & drive, and gets me back to my huge mint vinyl collection again.

Cheers, Hank

Jon L

Re: The third custom piece by Paul Birkeland: the 2A3 Amp......
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:57 pm »

Top detail: 6CK5 driver tube, CuTf V-cap, 2A3 output tube
Cheers, Hank

Niiiccee  :thumb:  Where DO you get these beautiful chassis? 

BTW, have you compared the VCap TFTF to CuTF in the same position yet?

JakeJ

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2010, 08:58 pm »
Sweet, Hank.  Welcome to the Tube-O-Phile Circle!  I'm curious as to what this custom set cost?

woodsart

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2010, 03:49 am »
Well I guess I can join the circle since I just became Tube-O-Phile!!

Received my entry level Amp 4 days ago and in the process of burning in the tubes, I have about 40 hours, manual says 100.

Wanted to get my feet wet with tube sound, but, unfortunately, I'm DROWNING in pure unadulterated presentation of clean music. My ears are at the point of no return!!!!

I don't think I have ever heard " music sing " like I am hearing with this amp!!!

All I can say is WOW....loving it!!!

JakeJ

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2010, 02:10 pm »
Congrats and welcome!  Let us know how things improve as the break-in proceeds.

woodsart

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2010, 02:17 pm »
Thanks Jake,

Will upload some pics too...think they might surprise you.

I will also add some new tubes once I see how these go. I do have a review, if it would be ok to post it here.

Rob

JakeJ

« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2010, 04:08 pm »
Actually there is a Critic's Circle where reviews belong but you sure can put a link to it in this circle.  Tried to see what else you are using for associated gear but your system is just a 20 x 24 room.  ;)

The Tube-O-Phile Circle is for discussion of gear, tube rolling, projects, Brand X vs. Brand Y and just about everything else tube related except reviews.  That might be confusing because not all reviews are in the Critic's Circle but most of them are in manufacturer's circles which is understandable.

Hope you understand.

JakeJ

woodsart

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2010, 04:47 pm »
Actually there is a Critic's Circle where reviews belong but you sure can put a link to it in this circle.  Tried to see what else you are using for associated gear but your system is just a 20 x 24 room.  ;)

The Tube-O-Phile Circle is for discussion of gear, tube rolling, projects, Brand X vs. Brand Y and just about everything else tube related except reviews.  That might be confusing because not all reviews are in the Critic's Circle but most of them are in manufacturer's circles which is understandable.

Hope you understand.

JakeJ

Wrong room, Jake, that is the theater room!

The designated 2 channel listen area room is  11x12 and where the Tube amp is. The reason to post here was to discuss tube amps/tubes and get a better understanding of them and how they work. And of course to show off my tube amp and get some opinions.

I also have pics and review URL!!!

Thanks,
Rob

woodsart

« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:41 pm »
Uploading pics of my new almost broke-in Yaqin MS-20L Integrated Vacuum Tube Amp an upgrade from the 10L with great features for a 'high end entry level' Tube Amp. 50 wpc, UL and TR switchable, remote, and positively super quiet!!!Really enjoying this amp.

With 4 EL34B and 8 6J1s to be exchanged with 8- 5654W/6AK5WBs very soon.

From Canadian HiFi at 600.00 (delivered) through Ebay, with QC in Canada great customer service and fast delivery it is a winner with me and I am proud to be a 'Tubey'....

Maybe to the point of no return!!! :scratch:

Without the EL34Bs.

With the EL34Bs.

In place and lights out!!!

Review Link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283685