My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

wushuliu

I have the Audiocap Theta in my First Watt Burning Amp 3 right now, is it worth it to change to a ClarityCap MR?

Tony gee rates theta much lower than the mr. I love the mr. Like sonicap but muuuch better.

Tyson

Tony gee rates theta much lower than the mr. I love the mr. Like sonicap but muuuch better.

Agreed - I went from Sonicaps in my Serenity Acoustic Super 7's to the ClarityCap MRs.  Now that the MR's have broken in, it's true - tonally similar to the Sonicaps, but much more detail and soundstage info, and smoooooooth. 

But JonL was so positive about the AudioCap Theta in his review, I went with that in my amp.  Part of the problem is the amp uses 10uF for the cap size and some of these higher end caps just aren't made in that size.  Hence the question.....

Tyson

OK, I broke down and ordered the ClarityCap MR 10uF for the amp.  It would have just eaten away at me if I'd just stuck with the Audiocap Theta.  JonL recommends bypassing the Theta with Teflon, I'll give that a try too.

wushuliu

OK, I broke down and ordered the ClarityCap MR 10uF for the amp.  It would have just eaten away at me if I'd just stuck with the Audiocap Theta.  JonL recommends bypassing the Theta with Teflon, I'll give that a try too.

Let us know how it goes...

Tyson

Pulled the Audiocap Thetas from my BA3 and dropped in the Claritycap MR today.  Immediately there was better transparency and detail.  The Thetas are just a dull sounding cap, IMO.

wushuliu

Pulled the Audiocap Thetas from my BA3 and dropped in the Claritycap MR today.  Immediately there was better transparency and detail.  The Thetas are just a dull sounding cap, IMO.

I thought the same thing about the Dayton film & foil caps. Wonder if Audiocap makes those too...

Nick77

I installed a pair of MR's in my tube preamp with same results, their are nice caps.