VPI HW-19 Mk. III - new bearing, newer motor, no arm - US$600.00 - SOLD!

TheChairGuy

SOLD

My zip is 94910 and it will ship in the original VPI outer box, albeit with non-original packing materials.  It's BIG overall, and heavy at 50 lbs.

I found so much promise in this VPI that I am on line for the new 'Classic' table coming out soon, which makes this one available.

I bought this early Mk. III table a couple years ago.  I bought it specifically because it had the better, original composite platter that weighed about 12 lbs.  As has been told to me by Mike @ VPI, this was the best std. platter made for the Mk. III, and gave way to the acrylic units later as they were too costly to offer and sell the Mk. III for $1200.00 retail.  The acrylic platters were less costly to make and balance for proper playback.

It also has the original threaded black clamp, which was also the better clamp made (later clamps were less expensive to make and sell)

Unfortunately, when I bought this unit I noticed after a while that the original spindle was off center...so a new (Rockwell 60 hardness) bearing ($100.00 new) was bought November 2008.  It is grease bearing, per VPI's recommendation and the grease used is the best DuPont Krytox stuff.  Honestly tho, I heard no great difference between the Krytox and standard while lithium grease that it came with.  But, it will be packed with the Krytox in the bearing well :)

The motor was long in the tooth, so it, too, was changed out (another $100 or so).  I think the motor is the weakest link in this otherwise overbuilt tank of a table....eventually, you may want to use the VPI SDS or upgrade to an Origin Live DC unit in time as upgrades.  A friend lent me his SDS for a month recently and it turns a capable belt drive deck into something much, much better.  I'm really surprised when folks call the addition of the SDS marginal or nuanced betterment....to me, it was gobsmacking :o delightful upgrade.  So, there is a clear and definitive upgrade path here.

The unit has a Rega-type mounting (no arm).  Any 9" Rega (or clone) will fit in there.  The surround is walnut.

The underside of the top plinth has an additional layer of modelling clay for additional mass and damping.  I thought using the 4 coiled springs were as good as defeating them with a DIY Stand-alone-motor-assembly (SAMA), so that's what I suggest. Feel free to experiment.

She works fine, she will be packed right (I'm experienced at this), pickup is always available if you prefer and any other questions please ask.  I can pack the original bearing and motor if you'd like....but neither work as well as the replacements and you are paying for freight - so it's up to you. The manual, original alignment protractor and (relatively now) properly talc'ed belt are included (along with the aforementioned threaded clamp).

I have another tonearm board, set up with a Audioquest PT-6 and a Pete Riggle VTAF system, that can be bought separately so you can swap arms (you provide the Rega) in and out as you like to taste.  It makes it very flexible this way then :thumb:

Pics on their way soon.  This one is lifted from the internet:

John

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2009, 04:27 pm by TheChairGuy »

Wayner

John,

I'm suprised your selling this piece, but I'm sure the buyer will have a very well cared for table. This is also a nice price. Yes, I'm tempted, begone little red man with horns on my left shoulder. Listen to the nice lady with wings and halo on my right shoulder. Must leave post....................

bacobits1

OMG! He's selling it.
Nice table, nice price.
30 lbs extra shipping because of clay.
But it's a sculpture of sorts.  :lol:

D

TheChairGuy

About 2 lbs of clay on the underside :wink: You cannot see it as it's hidden by the surround/plinth, but it's a restrained grey colored clay.

Again, it's being replaced by another VPI, the new Classic, at $2500.00.  It should've been shipped to me already, but I think the new tooling for the diecast platter is delaying things quite a while.

John

TheChairGuy

Scottdazzle

Bump. Somebody should grab this baby.
 :P

TheChairGuy

Thank you, Scott :)

By the way, a more than subtle tweek I might recommend for those of you with AC synchronous motors is the use of a stepped isolation transformer (or, alternatively, a variac isolation transformer like Heathkit and others once made).

A regular isolation transformer (non-stepped or variable/variac) will remove crap from the line AND keep digital hash from your CDP from entering into your turntable electrical path.....it is really of fairly small benefit to most of us. 

But, a stepped isolation transformer (also referred to as stepped isoformer) will remove the crud in the line, stop the digital hash from entering and allows you to choose a lower voltage rating which lowers the noise/vibration of the motor quite effectively.

The VPI SDS outputs lowers the VPI motor to 72 volts and makes it eerily quiet....but using a stepped isolation transformer I was able to get it down to 95 volts with passable good torque in return and a quieter motor (maybe 50% of the benefit of the SDS)

When you consider these (usually vintage) isolation transformers sell for under $70 on ebay and elsewhere, you've just tweeked your fairly expensive VPI (and other brand) table for affordable money. Given a used price of $700 for an SDS, the 50% benefit for $70 is quite beneficial indeed  :thumb:

As the AC motor is really the weakest link (noisy next to better AC and DC motors) in this otherwise tank of a table, I heartily recommend it for added sonic benefit. Owners of Project, Music Hall and some 16v Thorens, can buy the Project Speedbox(s) for $120-$500 and get even more benefit (albeit for more money)

Here is the type of stepped isolation transformer I use: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-VIZ-Isotap-II-WP-27A-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ350171979481QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item350171979481&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Here is a pic of a Heathkit Variac Isolation Transformer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HEATHKIT-MODEL-IT-1-ISOLATION-TRANSFORMER_W0QQitemZ130289730067QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item130289730067&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

John

See my other ad for an Audioquest PT-6 arm, already attached to a HW-19 Mk. III armboard with features Pete Riggle's VTAF & an Expressimo Heavyweight Counterweight: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65410.new#new
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2009, 08:14 pm by TheChairGuy »

Derockster

Hey John I soooooooo wish I had the money to buy this deck. :drool: :drool: :drool:

TheChairGuy

Another pic of the AQ arm on the VPI HW-19 Mk. III  :thumb:

Note, of course, the table is being sold sans (without) arm and a Rega mount for any Rega or clone arm. 

The acquisition of the AQ arm/board/VTAF/Heavyweight counterweight would be additional to the cost of the table.  I'm open to package deals for both if you'd like to inquire  :idea:

The ADC cartridge is NOT included.

Thank you, John/TheChairGuy

Listens2tubes

OH man John, remember I asked about you selling this a while ago. :duh: I wish I could afford it now that your giving it away. :?

bacobits1

For $995 with everything it is a great deal.
Someone buy it !!!

Den

Derockster

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:man talk about the things you can't have.

TheChairGuy

New pic - note tonearm is sold separately (this was a pic from a year ago I had when I used a Rega 250 arm on it)

See my other ad for an Audioquest PT-6 arm, already attached to a HW-19 Mk. III armboard with features Pete Riggle's VTAF & an Expressimo Heavyweight Counterweight: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65410.new#new

John

TheChairGuy

I'm selling this for space and redundancy 1st, and 2nd monetary. I'm not hard up for funds.

Which means, I'm open to trades (in whole or part)...especially if you are a newbie or returning vinylphool and want to sink you teeth into what is a capable hi-end belt drive deck that is still supported by it's maker (who made the series for 24 years).

I love reeling newbies in :wink:

Try me, you might be surprised aa - maybe you have a hi-quality cassette deck sitting idle?  How about a pair of speaks? Or some combination of gear.

Together, you'd have a very flexible, hi-quality vinyl playback source going for yourself  :thumb:

John   

TheChairGuy

SOLD - March 12, 2009

Thanks all for your time and interest, John