THE OFFICIAL GET TOGETHER THREAD FOR THE SB3 REVIEW - PING: BILL, BRYAN & ???

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
That's OK. It's probably better than mine is.  I only run a DAC on my 2nd system so haven't invested much in a digital cable.  As long as we're consistent, it shouldn't matter.

Bryan

bpape

• Industry Participant
Just a final post.  We're still on for noon today at my place. 

Call if you need directions - 314.477.4963

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Yup, still good here.
Although I may not be able to be quite as early as we talked about (to do that thing) due to my wife having to go on a rescue mission to get my daughter from a sleepover. I'm here with my son (who would not enjoy tagging along with Dad), so as soon as wifey gets home I'll give you call.

I was (finally) able to find the stock SB3 Power Supply. That should be fun.  :lol:
I'll bring beer, need anything else?

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
Not unless you want gourmet munchies. 

A big cooler would be handy if you have one.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Nah, we don't need gourmet stuff. I'll bring a cooler.

Bob

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
My plans for this Sunday have changed.  Is there room for one more?

bpape

• Industry Participant
Absolutely.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
I need a soldering iron!  :duh:

I had cut the plug off the SBs stock PS many months ago (forgot about that). I've got another new plug and the solder, but my soldering pencil is Butane powered. I've run out of Butane.  :oops:

So if we want to hear the stock PS, somebody needs to bring a soldering station/pencil/gun.
Sorry about that.

Bob

p.s. Obviously I'm late. I'll be leaving uno memento.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
Bryan:
Just wanted to thank you for your hospitality, food, drink and great music. As usually, the GAS guys are a great bunch with interesting conversation and tunes to share. The Acoustats are really neat and everything sounded superb. Will let the others guys report on the comparison as I had to leave early, sorry. I'll drop off the power supply this week on my way to Ricks. Now, who was that angry chick that played bass? :wink:
Chris H.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Bryan - I had a great time last night, thanks for letting us invade the home. Both rooms sounded great. I hope you didn't get in too much trouble over us using the kitchen table as a soldering station. But at least we now know how many drunken audio guys it takes to fix a wire.  :lol:

Gavin - as promised, >here's a link< to the thread that brought us here. It was good to finally put a face to the name.

I'll put some words together for the thread over at Wayne's board later today.

Bob

Blackmore

Hey!

It's been established that we're all afraid of Tim's wife, BUT, what happened at the listening session?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
 :oops: Sorry about that Mark.  :lol:
I've posted over on Wayne's board about my impressions.
I hope all the guys join in to give theirs too. 

Bob

p.s. Mark, I've got the Arcam. Thank you! I gave Bryan the caps and resistors for you.

G

I had a great time Bryan. Thank you and your wife for being great hosts! Bob I read the link and came across the infamous post. Where does that guy get off? I thought I had nerve. Sheesh! Thanks Fish for letting me ride along and to Chris for answering my million or so questions about his supply which, as far as I'm concerned, was the star of the show. Kudos. Ken it was a pleasure and I hope to see you again at one of the "gatherings". Now what is all of this about everyone being afraid of Tim's wife? Just because she is a world class athlete and all? :lol:

bpape

• Industry Participant
Hi Guys

Thanks for coming out. It was a good time - even if there was more general listening and BS'ing than 'structured listening'.  It's always fun to get together and just have some good times, enjoy a couple of adult beverages, and listen to some tunes. 

I wish the Acoustats were in tip top shape but with Scott's modded Korato, they're sounding much better than with the Audio Research.  I hate to give it back.  My other one is up with Marty for a review.  Next time you guys come out, I'll have it and the Korato Anniversary to listen to.

I think everyone there is firmly convinced that the Bolder Rev IV and Chris' battery supply are considerably above the others.  Looking forward to Chris bringing the battery box back out Wednesday.

Bryan

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
Bryan,

Thanks for a great time, good fellowship, tasty snacks, and good tunes.  Your direct drive Acoustats are the fifith really good sounding pair of electrostatics I've ever heard. The other four were the origianl QUADs, a pair of JanZen, the big Crowns (though those were being driven by literally a master tape), and then the original first generation direct Drive Acoustats.

As for the listening, I sympathize with anybody trying to produce an audio product and make money - however, the sound from the squeezebox with the stock power supply has just such an amount of earburn to it, I can not fathom sitting down and listening to that for any extended length of time, even as background music.  Of course when I think of LogiTech and audio, something with a 1/2" tweeter and a 2" woofer comes to mind.  The Squeezebox really is an amazingly versitile item and it is certianly inexpensive and a great value in terms of bang for the buck.  I just find it interesting that something like that which obviously has a lot of engineering man-hours going into its design ends up with a component, the PS, that borders on defective.  I'm sure some executive had to choose an upper price point versus market share to get economies of scale to work.  And for the 99% of their customers it probably is the highest fi in their system.  Thankfully we have electrical artists like BPT that have spent the time and effort to convert the sow's ear sucessfully into a silk purse.

Ken
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 11:45 am by KenSeger »