Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?

modwright

Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
« on: 27 Jan 2009, 10:38 pm »
I have just become aware of the new Sony XA5400ES CD/SACD player with 2CH RCA and XLR balanced outputs and multi-channel SACD outs via HDMI.  I am wondering if there is any interest in this unit as far as mods go?

I have some ideas in mind, including an external tube power supply (not enough room inside unit) and a newer and more advanced yet, possibly fully differential tube analog stage.

I would expect mod price would be in the $2500-$3K range and would include the same power supply upgrades that we have recently implemented in the Transporter power supply.

I like and trust Sony players.  For those who want a good CD/SACD player and are not going the computer server route, this looks to be the best thing going.  If there is sufficient interest, I would consider pursuing it.

I would use the same tube family as the Transporter, allowing for a broad range of tube-rolling, etc.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all!

Dan Wright
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2010, 07:25 pm by modwright »

vgregory

Re: Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2009, 08:58 pm »
I have heard this unit at my friends house and was impressed. One of the few units that can play DSD files.

I vote yes...

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2009, 04:21 am »
Thanks!  I AM listening, but you are the first to respond so far.  Perhaps the unit is very new to shelves?

Take care,

Dan W.

vgregory

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2009, 10:33 am »
Thanks!  I AM listening, but you are the first to respond so far.  Perhaps the unit is very new to shelves?

Take care,

Dan W.

You are correct - it is new - but what it can do - my friend says it is a bargain for $1500 retail.

tomm

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:51 pm »
I vote for the     Sony ES Series Blu-ray Disc Player - BDP-S5000ES.

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2009, 05:41 pm »
I AM listening and am also looking at the new Oppo player that also does blu-ray.  I have considered a SS mod that would replace the op-amps in the Oppo with, ideally, a 6-CH proprietary MWI SS analog stage.  It would be much less costly than the tube mods of course.

I am also willing and interested to do a full-on tube mod for the right blue-ray or other new player, to enhance 2CH music performance, perhaps for a blu-ray player that also doubles as HT front-end.

Thanks and please keep sharing your interest.  I can't pursue any of these projects unless I know that there is sufficient demand.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

tomm

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2009, 11:33 pm »
I am interested in the Oppo as well, actually any new machine with Blu-Ray.

mattyturner

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2009, 11:47 pm »
I would be interested in replacing my PS3 with a machine that does Blu-ray and also good quality SACD playback.

AB

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2009, 12:17 am »
The Sony S5000ES will not play SACD or HDCD or MP3 or WMA. It does play red book.

Do any of the Blu Ray players play SACD etc?

Just wondering.

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2009, 07:04 am »
Is the new Oppo blu ray player out yet?

Thanks,

Dan

tomm

owenmd

« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2009, 05:14 pm »
Hi Dan,

I personally, like many of my friends now, wouldn't consider a new player unless it does everything.... great video and awesome audio playback of every type of disc media.  I personally love watching Music concert DVD's, so I wouldn't consider a stock CD player no matter how good it was.

I currently run my DVD player as a transport.... digital out to the digital input on my MW Transporter, taking advantage of the excellent transporter DAC and wonderful tube output stage.  Because of this, I'm not sure if a tricked-up player would be a good way to go for me to go as I'm basically duplicating your wonderful upgrade work in both the player and Transporter...?  Now.... a " do it all" hyper performance Modwright digital transport player sounds like a "must have" for Transporter owners, with an option of tricked-up DAC and output stage for non Transporter owners...?

Mark

jwes

« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2009, 05:32 pm »
Hi Dan,

I currently run my DVD player as a transport.... digital out to the digital input on my MW Transporter, taking advantage of the excellent transporter DAC and wonderful tube output stage.  Because of this, I'm not sure if a tricked-up player would be a good way to go for me to go as I'm basically duplicating your wonderful upgrade work in both the player and Transporter...?  Now.... a " do it all" hyper performance Modwright digital transport player sounds like a "must have" for Transporter owners, with an option of tricked-up DAC and output stage for non Transporter owners...?

Mark

x2.  I would consider paying for outstanding transport-only capabilities (particularly if it includes Blu-Ray).  But audio for me also would be sent to the Transporter (or my tubed DAC/pre)

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2009, 08:36 pm »
Is the new Oppo blu ray player out yet?

Thanks,

Dan

I believe the Oppo is in its second round of their "Early Adoption Program" (beta testing), Dan.  You can get alot of input on it, as well as comments from those beta users (100 after two rounds), at the AVS forum setup by Oppo for feedback (as well as on the Oppo site).  They ran two rounds of Beta to a random group of interested buyers (chosen by lottery) at a price of $499.  I know Kal Rubinson is reviewing it as well in the Beta version.  One aspect of playback that I'm not all that familiar with, but may be more clear to you is the HDMI playback of 2-channel.  I know with my 983H the HDMI output for SACD and DVD-A is downsampled (is that the correct term) to PCM, rather than retaining a DSD throughput of the native format (you may be able to tell I'm a bit lost in these realms so correct me if I'm not putting that well - but I'm thinking it may differ from the Sony XA5400ES in this respect).  I don't know if this holds true with the SACD playback on their BD83.  I'm pretty sure that in the beta edition they had not implemented DVD-A playback the last time I checked.  The 983H is an excellent player for the money, but like Mark, I run the digital output through my Transporter.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2009, 09:02 pm »
I believe I stand corrected.  I checked Oppo's current specs, which are subject to change, and this is how they read:

SACD – The BDP-83 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM.

They do not list DVD-A as a supported format.

Philistine

« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2009, 09:27 pm »
I believe I stand corrected.  I checked Oppo's current specs, which are subject to change, and this is how they read:

SACD – The BDP-83 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM.

They do not list DVD-A as a supported format.

Marco, I've just read that they've released a firmware upgrade that has 'preliminary' support for DVD-Audio.  If this is the case then the Oppo looks a great universal candidate.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2009, 09:34 pm »
Cool beans, Phil.  Sounds like the Oppo is a worthy contender.  I'd guess there's likely more physical room in the Sony to work with though, based on the size of their chassis.  I've been very happy with the Oppo 983H thus far...no complaints.

RUR

« Reply #17 on: 25 Mar 2009, 09:39 pm »
Dan, I'd be interested in a quality uni-player to include Blu-ray.  Oppo or Sony, whichever provides the best 2ch performance.

modwright

« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2009, 10:11 pm »
Thanks guys.  My intent with the modified Blu-Ray player was not to provide a source to rival the Transporter, but rather, a $500-$700 mod for a $500 player that would SIGNIFICANTLY improve its performance, without tubes, and allow for audio performance to potentially all 5-6 channels and provide improvements to video also.  We could certainly also look at improving its digital out circuit for use as a transport.

I really am looing for a CDP to interest those who are not in the market for a $3K-$4K source and/or are not interested in a DAC or computer server.  Obviously the Oppo could still do double-duty for those also using the Transporter and I had not considered that.

Thank you all for the feedback!  It is greatly appreciated!

Dan W.

owenmd

« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2009, 11:43 pm »
The ModWright Transport:

I don't believe a modified Blu-ray player is a "rival" for the Transporter.... it complements it.  With the Transporter, we have a source providing computer based music storage and a tuner.... and adding a quality transport adds video and an ability to play the occasional audio disc without having to first copy it to a hard drive.... very flexible.

I used to know a guy who used a Sony 9000ES only as a CD player.... he knew it had video, but never used it.

Surely.... the best universal digital transport available as one level of mod, and the second level available for those wanting a unit to include a DAC and quality output stage would be a good thing.... one unit to include both abilities.... either spec to be the best in its class.

I guess there will always be those folks who don't want to perceive paying for something they don't want.... such as video.... but in a value for money player such as an Oppo base, they're hardly paying a fortune over and above, especially as the ModWright mods probably won't do anything to the video ability.  If someones truly adamant about not wanting video, you could always cut the cord to the HDMI output prior to shipping.... :scratch:  :thumb: