EL84 Tube Recommendation - Genalex Reissues from New Sensor

nature boy

I purchased a pair of Genalex Gold Lion reissued (New Sensor) EL84 tubes from Jim McShane recently and have about 75 hours on them in my Decware SE84CS EX Mod amplifier.  The tubes sound great  - very clean sounding, extended treble and bass, project a 3 dimensional soundstage, and vocals are well to die for.

I previously had some cryo'd Russian military SV83 tubes in my amp and while good, the treble was strident and sound was two dimensional.

I can't speak to how these tubes will hold up, but my initial impressions are very positive.  Jim carefully matches these tubes, packages and ships them quickly.  He charges $59.95/pair plus shipping which ran about $7.  If your looking for a new pair of EL84 tubes and don't want to pay NOS prices, I encourage you to check out these reissues.

NB

P.S. I have no affiliation with Jim McShane, just wanted to pass on my positive experience in purchasing tubes from him.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2009, 04:24 pm by nature boy »

Jon L

Re: EL84 Tube Recommendation - Genalex Reissues from New Sensor
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2009, 11:23 pm »
Sweet.  The world can always use a new production tube. 
Anybody compare these to Ei, Sylvania, Sovtek EL84 types?

bunky

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2009, 07:55 pm »
I Bought a matched octet of Genelex GoldLion KT77 Reissues to replace my cryoed black sable SED El34's in my VTL mono's and they are some very fine sounding tubes   :drool: www.deepsurplus.com sells a variety of tubes in thier speaker parts/amplifier building section.thanks....WCW III

Les Lammers

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:14 am »

*I* like them better than the above tubes and if they hold up welll.. :thumb:. If you like NOS Mullards you will like these.

nature boy

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:34 am »
I probably have about 600-650 hours on these now.  Still going strong and sounding clean and sweet, I concur with the comparison to NOS Mullards.  Excellent tubes.

NB

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2009, 02:15 am »

*I* like them better than the above tubes and if they hold up welll.. :thumb:. If you like NOS Mullards you will like these.

Arrg.  Mullards are one of my least favorite EL84's  :o
I do like my tubes clear, pure, precise, with just a dash of tube harmonics thrown in, like the Siemens and Ei EL84.

Les Lammers

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2009, 09:45 am »
Jon...I thought these may not be *your* cup 'o tea,,,your a Telefunken kinda guy.  :green: However, these are nice tubes and just may be a benchmark in new production.

anthony a.

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2009, 03:26 pm »
I Bought a matched octet of Genelex GoldLion KT77 Reissues to replace my cryoed black sable SED El34's in my VTL mono's and they are some very fine sounding tubes   :drool: www.deepsurplus.com sells a variety of tubes in thier speaker parts/amplifier building section.thanks....WCW III

im looking for el34 recommendations as well as my amp supplied with jj tesla el34's which, to my surprise sound very good.  the have an excellent balance of purity and lushness.  again, system dependant on other components, cabling, etc, but when these run out im thinking of the new mullard reissue from new sensor as well as the sed winged c.  all of this is based on people's reports that these tubes are excellent.  since i own monoblocks that use a quad of el34 each (and i like to buy matched and balanced octet since my amps are very sensitive to noise), i stopped looking at nos.  what i did find interesting is that the buffer tubes used in my amps (pair of 12au7) make very little difference.  i tried a few and they were all too close to call.  im holding onto them unitl i change the el34 drivers.  i like your recommendation of the gold lion kt77.  how did you like the black sable sed and did you compare them to the regular sed winged c?

jrebman

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2009, 02:39 pm »
Roger,

I picked up a pair of these from Jim and once my Carina gets back I'll give them a try after putting some time on the new caps.  I may actually try them in my headphone amp before that, but that is brand new and needs some serious break-in time before any tube rolling.  Eddie seems to really love these in the Carina -- may be his new favorite replacing the TAD STRs, which are very nice IMO.

Just curious, are you running your minimax into the Decware?

-- Jim

stone deaf

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2009, 04:56 pm »
I am running a pair of the new Genelex EL84 in a Decware Taboo amp and like them very much. I have several other matched pairs and seem to keep going back to these.