Hawthorne Augie vs AE IB15

dewar

Re: Hawthorne Augie vs AE IB15
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2008, 05:06 am »
panomaniac,
I probably shouldnt say XO as it cant split the signal, but it does have a high pass or low pass filter, 2nd order. Had it for a while before I realized it had this.

Telstar,
The baffle and wings sit on a base that is 16cm deep, and it is enough, though with dogs or kids ruining amok I'd go a bit deeper. Deeper wings...I was a bit worried about cavity resonance, and didnt really need deeper, but it might not be a bad idea to go for a sort of U-baffle. No body over at the Hawthorne forum seems too keen on wings though, which kind of swayed me.

The Behringer should more than cover your room problems. I'm using all 12 of the infinitely flexible parametric EQ bands to flatten up to 200hz, and then there are all GEQ's if you need more.

I'm interested in the dampening for the AE Dipole15 drivers you mention, what kind of dampening are you talking about?

cheers
B

Telstar

« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2008, 01:16 pm »
The baffle and wings sit on a base that is 16cm deep, and it is enough, though with dogs or kids ruining amok I'd go a bit deeper.

I was planning 20-25cm. For my room, the smaller the better (sigh). I also plan to put the plate amp over the base, which will be about the same lenght as the wings (correct?). The plate amps will likely be these:
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/DS20.pdf
which are 190mm x 220mm x 60mm. I want to fit them onto the baffle floor to save all possible space, which means that I have to make the bases (but not necessarily the wings!) a bit deeper. I just asked Darrel for the exact back measurements of the Augies so I can make the "definitive" plans for my baffles.

Deeper wings...I was a bit worried about cavity resonance, and didnt really need deeper, but it might not be a bad idea to go for a sort of U-baffle. No body over at the Hawthorne forum seems too keen on wings though, which kind of swayed me.

Yep, they all have large baffles. This made particularly interesting for me to hear your experience. I think wings can partially replace the baffle width to improve the lower response. Nobody has been able to quantify this, though.
Also, put the augie as close to the floor: how close is yours? Could you post a picture of the speakers?

The Behringer should more than cover your room problems. I'm using all 12 of the infinitely flexible parametric EQ bands to flatten up to 200hz, and then there are all GEQ's if you need more.

Well, I did some try, but I have 11 tight bumps all under 110hz. The behringer may cover 2 or 3 of them and I'm afraid the overall result wouldnt be good. I have boxed bass-reflex speakers now and there is realyl no comparison to an OB response. So I have to wait. I havent sold back my unit (but I plan to) and I'm planning instead to do computer-based EQ. More accurate and 0 signal degradation.

I'm interested in the dampening for the AE Dipole15 drivers you mention, what kind of dampening are you talking about?

I dont know exactly what they did (I'm afraid of WAF), but you can read here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1646195#post1646195
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1647694#post1647694
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1648446#post1648446
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1649213#post1649213
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1663860#post1663860
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1668823#post1668823

Also, I like the trapezoid idea. Before I was thinking straight, with rounded top. The rounded top proved an issue for my woodcutter and so I started to look into trapez. I think i'll do 44cm base like you, but i'm not sure about the top end. I have decided at which height the Bastanis drivers will be, so that condition the baffle height and width on top (no less than 40cm in the middle point of the top wideband).
I'm going to draw new plans these days, so if you could post me a picture, it would also help the WAF :)

dewar

« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2008, 01:47 pm »
The Hypex UcD400 was my first choice of amps, but I ran out of funds. The Bastanis dealer here in Oz is a big fan of them. Why not build the power amp version and use PC XO? I've been wary of using plate amps with outboard EQ thinking I might be introducing excessive latency, but I dont know.

Can I post pictures here? otherwise pm me an email address and I'll send you a pic, and a sketch for a trapeziod baffle I had planned to do, before my wife put her foot down for reasons unknown.

cheers
B

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2008, 03:07 pm »
Concerning wings and their lack of popularity over at the Hawthorne Audio Forum, it's not the Augies that are recommended to go without wings. It's the SI/SSI Coaxials that shouldn't have wings, as it gives to much midbass and upper bass for the Coaxial, causing issues with midrange clarity. Reasonable sized wings on the Augies shouldn't hurt anything as long as they are crossed fairly low. Wings do change the radiation pattern from a perfect figure 8. Whether or not this is a good thing will depend on individual rooms and placement.

Dave aa

Telstar

« Reply #24 on: 4 Dec 2008, 05:30 pm »
The Hypex UcD400 was my first choice of amps, but I ran out of funds. The Bastanis dealer here in Oz is a big fan of them. Why not build the power amp version and use PC XO? I've been wary of using plate amps with outboard EQ thinking I might be introducing excessive latency, but I dont know.

I cannot XO with the pc, I could EQ, but i prefer to not touch the signal of the mid-highs. The behringer is out of the equation because it oversmples and my current dac does NOT accept 24bit wordlenght.
PC EQ makes sense and will be done at later time, but it makes the data not bit-perfect anymore and it would cause me some problems during initial testing of various applications and settings.

So i'm planning to go clean, with biamp. I expect to use the bass boost at 20hz and the rolloff at around 100hz. it's just a filter, it shouldnt cause lots of damage. I heard the Atlas with regular subs and plate amps (Bastanis SIM2) and the sound were absolutely smooth. So, I'm pretty positive :) I chose the ucd because of the smaller size.

Can I post pictures here? otherwise pm me an email address and I'll send you a pic, and a sketch for a trapeziod baffle I had planned to do, before my wife put her foot down for reasons unknown.

Dunno, but you can email me at telstar (at) spamcop (dot) net.

markC

« Reply #25 on: 4 Dec 2008, 10:26 pm »
Panomaniac, the only eqing I could do was with the built-in freq. , vol. , and phase controls on my plate amp. I could get plenty of bass output and although I didn't measure, I'd guess it only went down to about 60 Hz. Whereas the IB set-up will give me low to mid 20's. :green:

panomaniac

« Reply #26 on: 5 Dec 2008, 06:04 pm »
Yeah, I can understand.   IB is going to be hard to beat - if you have the room.  And fewer EQ tricks are needed to get the bottom end, if any are needed at all.

But most of us just can't do the IB thing.  I sure would, if I could.

scorpion

« Reply #27 on: 5 Dec 2008, 10:19 pm »
Let me introduce just two simaulations with these speakers. It is in a H-dipole 40x50x40 cm, 40 cm deep, 12 db/octave low pass at 100 Hz.

1st the Hawthorne Augie:

and 2nd the AE IB15 under the same circumstances:

This is interesting. There will be very little to choose between them.

/Erling

Telstar

« Reply #28 on: 5 Dec 2008, 10:38 pm »

/Erling

Yes, the choice would be between the Augies and the Dipole15. The IB15 it's not really up to the task. Could you post the response of the Dipole15?

gitarretyp

« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2008, 10:58 pm »

/Erling

Except the IB15 will have considerably more output capability thanks to its having more than twice the xmax of the hawthorne.

Yes, the choice would be between the Augies and the Dipole15. The IB15 it's not really up to the task. Could you post the response of the Dipole15?

Why would you choose the dipole 15 over the IB or OB15 for this application? For use under 200Hz, i fail to see much advantage to the dipoles, and they cost more than twice as much.

By the way, i'm very happy with the IB15s as open baffle woofers in my current setup.

scorpion

« Reply #30 on: 5 Dec 2008, 11:49 pm »
No, I will not do the Dipole15 simulation as this is not asked for in the thread and therefore not of common interest here. It would also be against the general interests of MJK who is providing this software for a very diminutive fee. For the IB15 and Hawthorne Augie I have been providing these simulations before.

Otherwhise I agree with gitarretyp in his comments but there is a 3 dB efficiency difference.

/Erling

doak

« Reply #31 on: 6 Dec 2008, 03:20 am »
Very interesting thread.

I am using 2 Hawthorne Augies per channel in a true stereo setup crossed over at 18db per octave at about 100Hz. 
What I can say from my personal experience is that they work very well in this configuration. 

What I see in Scorpion's supplied frequency graphs says a lot too.

ps: XMAX ain't everything!

ttan98

« Reply #32 on: 6 Dec 2008, 04:15 am »
If I remember correctly Augies costs $150 each and IB15 about $257, this price differential IB15 must be clearly be better in the sonic quality(subjective)if I were to buy them, having greater Xmax should not the only reason. How often listeners listen at such a  level until xmax is reached?

MJK has shown even drivers like Alpha will give excellent without spending heaps if designed properly, other alternative drivers include those from Goldwood drivers which give execellent performance at relative cheap price.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #33 on: 6 Dec 2008, 04:37 am »
If I remember correctly Augies costs $150 each and IB15 about $257,

According to their website the IB15 is $100.

gitarretyp

« Reply #34 on: 6 Dec 2008, 05:33 am »
If I remember correctly Augies costs $150 each and IB15 about $257, this price differential IB15 must be clearly be better in the sonic quality(subjective)if I were to buy them, having greater Xmax should not the only reason. How often listeners listen at such a  level until xmax is reached?

MJK has shown even drivers like Alpha will give excellent without spending heaps if designed properly, other alternative drivers include those from Goldwood drivers which give execellent performance at relative cheap price.

The IB15s are 150/ea or 400 per set of four. I have two per side and often see excursions of around 10mm when listening to music with heavy low end at moderately high volume.

ttan98

« Reply #35 on: 6 Dec 2008, 10:20 am »
sorry fellows my mistakes, $257 applies to TD15 series, IB15 is cheaper.

Telstar

« Reply #36 on: 6 Dec 2008, 04:19 pm »
No, I will not do the Dipole15 simulation as this is not asked for in the thread and therefore not of common interest here. It would also be against the general interests of MJK who is providing this software for a very diminutive fee. For the IB15 and Hawthorne Augie I have been providing these simulations before.

/Erling

Hi Erling,

Maybe you oversaw that I opened this thread to ask opinions about the best woofer to use in my OB configuration.

While I have discarded the LO15, as it would be more suited for mid-bass, the original Dipole15 can still be a viable option and I do not think MJK would disagree for posting the simulation of the Dipole15 to compare.

John_E_Janowitz

• www.aespeakers.com
« Reply #37 on: 14 Dec 2008, 06:38 am »
It looks like I'm a little late to the party again, but lets look at a few things.  First, simulations can help with the design goals, but in room results will always vary some unless the simulation would take into account absolutely everything, which it can't.  We'll break down each section to get the best results we can though and see what is happening at each point.   We can get a good idea what the baffle itself will do and the drivers will do, but placement in the room will also factor into the real world results.   I think it's important that in the open baffle world, you are going to need some kind of EQ or filters to compensate for the baffle rolloff no matter what you do.  We'll look at that a little farther down though.

Does anyone have full parameters for the Augie 15"?  It's really difficult to measure accurately without knowing Mms, Cms, Sd, and Bl.  All the other parameters are derived from these.  Without them we can't determine excursion accurately or max SPL levels.  In the interest of moving on though I'll make an assumption that the Augie 15 has the same Sd as the OB15.  We can always correct it later, but this will give a good start.

That said, if 30hz is the main goal for low end response and the upper end is only around 100hz, the OB15 would be my driver of choice. This is going to give you some extra efficiency up higher where you need it.  They can cleanly do 500hz or higher so there are no issues with the upper end response.  That said, we'll get a start on the comparison of drivers and output levels.  This will compare drivers only, not their open baffle response yet.

To do this we model with an infinitely large sealed enclosure.  I put in 10,000L as a good basis and model each enclosure.  You can see their response at 1W input here. The orange curve is the OB15 and red is the Augie.

The first thing you'll notice is that the OB15 has quite a bit more efficiency, about 2.5dB according to the 1W/1m calculated efficiency.  At 30hz though, the output level is pretty much the same at 1W between the two.  Since this is the low end limit lets look at that point a little bit more.  At 55W input, the excursion limits of the Augie15 are being reached.  This is at a level of 105.8dB.  The OB15 however has much more excursion available. It is not reaching the 18.5mm excursion level until input power of 400W and at a level of 114.4dB.  This is a total of 8.6dB more output capability at 30hz with the OB15.  Again keep in mind that above that point the OB15 is also more efficient.

That gives us a good comparison of driver to driver so lets look at the baffle alone.  To do this I'm using The Edge baffle simulator.  I don't have MJK's sheets, so I'd be curious to see a comparison between the two.  The Edge calculates only the baffle effects and nothing else.  I'm looking at a 450mm wide x 800mm tall baffle.  This will not calculate the floor effects but will give a good idea of the rolloff that is mostly determined by the more narrow 450mm width. The curve can be seen below:

Since we are only concerned with 30-100hz in this case, we can just concentrate on that region.  You can see the response is approximately -10dB at 30hz, the point we picked as the low end requirement.  This is the same no matter which driver we're talking about.  Subtract that from the infinite baffle model and you can see that the max SPL at 30hz for the Augie is about 95.8dB with that 55W max input power when reaching excursion limits.  At 55W input, the OB15 has nearly identical output at 30hz, but again you can throw 400W at it before reaching the 18.5mm excursion limits, allowing you to reach 104.4dB for the single OB15.   

Now that we've looked at the output limits, we need to look at the EQ/compensation requirements.  Note that because the OB15 is more efficient up higher, the normalized response is down slightly more at 30hz than the Augie.  You can simply EQ out the extra output if you wish, boost the low end a little more, etc.  Either option though is going to require EQ to be flat.  You can see the response here at 55W and normalized to each other:

Now, if you are using an active loudspeaker management system like the DCX2496, Driverack260, DEQX, Dolby Lake, etc etc this is something you can easily compensate for.  A simple parametric EQ on this woofer section can compensate very well also.  The benefit to the whole management system is that you have ability to adjust time alignment, phase, xover points, and multiple sets of EQ.  One can compensate for the driver and baffle and then you have a totally different set of EQ to correct for the room response. 

The other option is to implement the line level bass boost to complement the baffle rolloff.  The edge allows you to calculate this as well.  You simply enter 2 corner frequencies and the R1 value and it calculates R2 and C for you.  http://www.tolvan.com/edge/help.htm  It doesnt' however allow you to model by changing the R2 and C values to alter the Q of this filter.  This would likely be more effective to export the baffle response and then calculate this in Pspice or something similar.  Then you could change the Q if you want a little extra boost and sharper rolloff, etc. 

A final option as explained by Larry Selmer here is to use all passive line level components:
http://www.geocities.com/larryselmer/MDS.htm

This again is something you can model fairly easily if you know the output impedance of your source and input impedance of your amps.

Finally a link to some info from Larry Selmer.   I don't know if he's around anymore or not, but he did a lot with simple dipole subs and speakers.  Some good info on his corner bisector subs.  I wish I could find all the rest of the diagrams he had done.
http://www.geocities.com/larryselmer/DRL.htm

John

Telstar

« Reply #38 on: 15 Dec 2008, 10:26 pm »
Hello John,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.

It looks like I'm a little late to the party again, but lets look at a few things.  First, simulations can help with the design goals, but in room results will always vary some unless the simulation would take into account absolutely everything, which it can't.  We'll break down each section to get the best results we can though and see what is happening at each point.   We can get a good idea what the baffle itself will do and the drivers will do, but placement in the room will also factor into the real world results.   I think it's important that in the open baffle world, you are going to need some kind of EQ or filters to compensate for the baffle rolloff no matter what you do.  We'll look at that a little farther down though.

I'm going to use computer-based EQ, through the excellent (and open source) DRC program.
I see no real alternative because under 110hz I have more than a DOZEN bumps and depressions. And this before considering OB rolloff.
I tried the Behringer deq (in digital) with my current setup but with non optimalresults.

Does anyone have full parameters for the Augie 15"?  It's really difficult to measure accurately without knowing Mms, Cms, Sd, and Bl.  All the other parameters are derived from these.  Without them we can't determine excursion accurately or max SPL levels.  In the interest of moving on though I'll make an assumption that the Augie 15 has the same Sd as the OB15.  We can always correct it later, but this will give a good start.

I just asked Darrel. Will update soon.

That said, if 30hz is the main goal for low end response and the upper end is only around 100hz, the OB15 would be my driver of choice. This is going to give you some extra efficiency up higher where you need it.  They can cleanly do 500hz or higher so there are no issues with the upper end response.  That said, we'll get a start on the comparison of drivers and output levels.  This will compare drivers only, not their open baffle response yet.

30hz was my minimum goal. If I can get down to 25hz, the better.

The Edge calculates only the baffle effects and nothing else.  I'm looking at a 450mm wide x 800mm tall baffle.  This will not calculate the floor effects but will give a good idea of the rolloff that is mostly determined by the more narrow 450mm width.

The baffle will be 420mm x 1300mm tall, with 4-40cm triangular back side wings. The bass driver will be placed 20mm high from the floor (wooden).

Since we are only concerned with 30-100hz in this case, we can just concentrate on that region.  You can see the response is approximately -10dB at 30hz, the point we picked as the low end requirement.  This is the same no matter which driver we're talking about.  Subtract that from the infinite baffle model and you can see that the max SPL at 30hz for the Augie is about 95.8dB with that 55W max input power when reaching excursion limits.  At 55W input, the OB15 has nearly identical output at 30hz, but again you can throw 400W at it before reaching the 18.5mm excursion limits, allowing you to reach 104.4dB for the single OB15.   

This is very interesting, i haven't chosen the plate amps that will drive the basses and I have no problem in getting 400W instead of 100W, except for the slight cost difference. I'll be using UCD modules.

Now, if you are using an active loudspeaker management system like the DCX2496, Driverack260, DEQX, Dolby Lake, etc etc this is something you can easily compensate for.  A simple parametric EQ on this woofer section can compensate very well also. 

I do not want to be limited to 96khz, so computer-based EQ is really the only solution.
Thanks for the links, I'll study them.

sannax

« Reply #39 on: 19 Dec 2008, 10:23 am »
Isn't it possible to mod the DCX2496 to 192khz or have I misread somewhere?