What Blu-ray player would you buy TODAY and why?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
What Blu-ray player would you buy TODAY and why?
« on: 30 Nov 2008, 03:40 pm »
I am not as current in this area and I am looking for a little help.

Would like to keep it under $400 and I am not concerned with how it plays regular dvd's.

Thanks,

George
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2008, 02:35 pm by zybar »

Bigfish

Re: What Blu-ray player would you buy TODAY and why?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2008, 03:52 pm »
George:

Check out this site:  http://www.buyblurayplayers.com/

I have one of the first generation Samsungs and it has great picture and sound quality.  The only issue I have with it is that it takes two to three minutes to load a Blu Ray Movie. 

If you take the plunge I would suggest not spending a ton for a top model yet.  The format wars ended just a short time ago and the manufacturers will now be concentrating on improving the BluRay Players.  The next generation players will certainly be better - I guess as is the case with all electronics.

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2008, 03:54 pm »
George:

Check out this site:  http://www.buyblurayplayers.com/

I have one of the first generation Samsungs and it has great picture and sound quality.  The only issue I have with it is that it takes two to three minutes to load a Blu Ray Movie. 

If you take the plunge I would suggest not spending a ton for a top model yet.  The format wars ended just a short time ago and the manufacturers will now be concentrating on improving the BluRay Players.  The next generation players will certainly be better - I guess as is the case with all electronics.

Ken

Thanks Ken.

I have a Samsung BD-1400, but lately I have been having some problems with the newer Blu-ray movies playing.  Last night I couldn't get "The Hulk" or "Hellboy II" to play.  I will try a firmware update today, but I am getting very frustrated with this player.

George

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:05 pm »
I don't have one yet, but the Panny BD-35 and BD-55 have had pretty good response.  Still kind of sitting it out for the Oppo to become real though it will be pricey.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:08 pm »
I am leaning towards the Panny BD-35 at this point.

I can get it at Best Buy for $229.00

That might be the best bet as I am also very interested in the Oppo player.

George

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:09 pm »
Well, I don't know what I would buy today, but last week I bought a PS3.
To answer the question, "why", well, it's fairly simply in my case; I wanted a BD player, and my son and I are into gaming.
For us, it was a no-brainer.

Regarding those Samsungs....Jeez man, two or three MINUTES, to "load" a movie?
I thought 'load times' went out with 5 1/4" floppy and tape drives. In this day and age more than two or three SECONDS is enough to get some folks pissed.
I've only watched one movie on the PS3 and didn't notice any load time. I wasn't looking for it, but the fact that it didn't piss me off by making me wait makes me think there wasn't much of a load time if any.
Sounds like it's time for a phone call to Samsung. In the very least, a firmware update.....

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:10 pm »
Buy a PS-3 and wait for them to get the bugs out.  

There are also rumors flying around that Blu-Ray will be obsolete in about 2 years.  Don't know how true those are but between that and the bugs with a lot of players, I'd not be willing to do much of anything more than the PS-3 at this point.

Bryan

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:13 pm »
I don't want a PS3, as it will lead to time spent playing with it!  :o

Also, I want a player that can be programmed into a learning remote - I don't believe you can do that with the PS3.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:13 pm »
Panasonic DMP-BD30K is what I have in the HT and love it.  Made some firmware updates last year and none since.  No issues.  

I have the Insignia player in the living room for the kids to use and it seems to run straight up with no glitches at all.

Of course AVS forum was good to find the good from the bad in the early days.  Not so sure it is as easy to wade through the talk to find the right unit.

I think all the blah blah about having the player decode is a waste IMO as my processor does it and I don't need the player to also do it.

I paid $500 for my Panny so now they are a bargain.  Check the specs of the 35 versus the 30 unit to make sure the 35 does at least what the 30 does.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:14 pm »
Xbox :thumb: - PS3, please! :duh:

Real men use Xbox360's :flame:

nicksgem10s

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:16 pm »
Hi George,

I have been enjoying the PS3 since its debut and it has been an incredible machine and Sony has provided many improvements along the way.

Most of the dedicated blu-ray players haven't really tempted me much.  

I think the Panasonic BD-35 is the best value in affordable players right now.  It is said to be excellent at bluray playback and also a very accomplished standard dvd playback machine.  For the money it looks really great.  I do not own one but I would if I didn't already have the PS3.

I think the Oppo will probably be the one to have since it will likely be the best of both worlds and Oppo is really taking their time getting this one right before bringing it to market.

If the Oppo was available I don't think you would really have a choice to make unless you didn't want to spend the $700 they are supposed to be asking for it.

You could always move the Panasonic to a second video system when the Oppo comes out.  

That is what I plan to do with my PS3.

Good luck.

-Nick

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:40 pm »
I thought the conventional wisdom was that the PS3 was both the least expensive (in the past) and the most future proof of all Blu-Ray players. Also it is the reference Blu-Ray player of the Criterion Collection of transfers.

I guess if the temptation to use it as a gaming console is too great...but I haven't used my XBox for a few months now...

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:45 pm »
Xbox :thumb: - PS3, please! :duh:

Real men use Xbox360's :flame:
Huhmpf...... What if a guy had a 360, a PS3, a GameCube, AND a Wii.  :dunno:  :rotflmao:

Bob

mca

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:57 pm »
I have a PS3 and love it. I don't play games with it, just watch Blu-ray. Unfortunately, it has developed a high pitch whine that is really getting on my nerves. I may try one of the Panasonic models and see how it compares. I'm also curious to try it's bitstream output to see how well my Onkyo decodes the new formats.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2008, 06:13 pm »
it has developed a high pitch whine
The unit itself, or through the audio outputs?

Bob

mca

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2008, 06:17 pm »
The unit itself

hayden

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2008, 06:43 pm »
I've got a PS3 and I wouldn't trade it for another Blu-ray player right now.  I don't understand the "audiophile" angst against this machine.  Sure, it was made for gaming but it really looks like any other component on my rack when laying horizontal.

JP

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2008, 06:54 pm »
I've got a PS3 and I wouldn't trade it for another Blu-ray player right now.  I don't understand the "audiophile" angst against this machine.  Sure, it was made for gaming but it really looks like any other component on my rack when laying horizontal.

JP

I don't have audiophile angst, a PS3 simply doesn't have the remote requirement.

Plus it is outside of the $400 range I mentioned.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2008, 07:02 pm »
I have the Sammy 1400 and it is fine but loads and chapter skips like a dinosaur.  But it was one of the first, after firmware, to handle all codecs (TrueHD, DTS HD MA), which was key to me when I jumped in a year ago.  Now, though, I'm relegating it to the family room.  I just bought the Panny DMP-BD35K.  Amazon gave it to me free and added another $100 of my Panny Plasma 46PZ800U (a combo deal that saved $300 off that combo).  I haven't received it/them yet but chose it over the 55k due to the combo deal, and the fact that I decode bitstream through HDMI so the lack of 7.1 analog outputs is moot for me.  One of the better and more finnicky AVS reviewers, Robert George, LOVEs his 35K.

cruz123

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2008, 08:35 pm »
I owned an earlier Samsung (1200) and it sucked.   I currently have the Panny BD30 and it is excellent.   If you can get the BD35 for $229, that's a no-brainer.   In fact, if Best Buy has them for that price I may go out and get one myself.  :wink:   The Panny's are the class of the stand alone players, IMHO.