My Rythmik Audio sub

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
My Rythmik Audio sub
« on: 21 Oct 2008, 01:09 am »
After many hours of designing, machining & assembly.........

Yes, I did make two for my system.  How does it sound?  AWESOME!!!  These subs are first rate IMO.  This is 1/2" thick 6061 aluminum.

Se7en

Re: My Rythmik Audio sub
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2008, 02:05 am »
Nice!

Wanna make two more?  :lol:

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2008, 02:42 am »
WOW!!!! How bout 4 more :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2008, 12:51 pm »
are you guys serious?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2008, 06:32 pm »
Nice industrial design - if those panels began life as thick 6061, you DID do one heck of a lot of machining! :rock:
Congratulations on a unique pair of subs.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2008, 06:56 pm »
industrial?  really?  Hmm.  I'm in the race car industry....this is how most bulkeads are done.  but ok.  Yes, they are 6061-T6. 

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2008, 07:49 pm »
Nice industrial design is a complement.  This is not saying it looks "Industrial" 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_design

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2008, 08:10 pm »
ahh!  That makes me  :D  Thanks for the kind words...

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2008, 08:40 pm »
Yea, those look really good, and very creative! Nice job!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2008, 08:53 pm »
Nice job. I love the aluminum but being one that buys a lot of aluminum, I can only imagine what these would cost to build. Not to mention the machine time and shipping cost.

Do you have your own CNC / milling or do you work for someone that allows you use of it?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2008, 09:01 pm »
Nice job. I love the aluminum but being one that buys a lot of aluminum, I can only imagine what these would cost to build. Not to mention the machine time and shipping cost.

Do you have your own CNC / milling or do you work for someone that allows you use of it?

I have access to CNC equip.  I built them for myself as I have been wanting to do this for awhile.  I finally did it!!!  I certainly could build for others but doubt they would want to pay for it....

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2008, 04:52 pm »
You're welcome.  In the world of product design, we speak of ID (some call it IDentity), or the industrial design of a product, which is the appearance/cosmetics, not necessarily what's under the skin.  We have our Italian source do some ID for us, as it's important in getting a look that is appealing, ergonomic and therefore helps sell a product.  ID and packaging mean a lot (sometimes too much to us product performance folks).

Anyway, back to the important stuff:  how did you attach the panels together and what did you line the interiors with?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2008, 11:44 pm »

Anyway, back to the important stuff:  how did you attach the panels together and what did you line the interiors with?

I used this http://www.soundprooffoam.com/quiet-batt-insulation.html and this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-330

As for how the panels are attached they are bolted and glued with a special adhesive.  I will post a picture on the bolting.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2008, 11:54 pm »
Here are a couple more pics.  The first one is the model.  The second is showing how the cabinet is assembled.  The adhesive is what really holds it together, the bolts just clamp it together to give the adhesive time to cure. 

you can see where the bolts are in this picture...the little light blue dots are the bolts. 

The lines that you see in the "pockets" is the tool path.  I was going to polish them out before hard coat anodize but decided to leave them as I thought they would add something.  It looks REALLY cool in person.

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2008, 03:17 am »
Wow  :o :o :o Awesome job!!

cujobob

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2008, 08:44 am »
That turned out great!

richidoo

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:47 pm »
jtw,
Would you care to share the name of the adhesive you used to bond aluminum? I want to build some aluminum speaker cabinets, but I don't want to expose my eyes to welding. Been thinking somebody must make a good glue for aluminum. I bet it's not cheap though?
Thanks
Rich

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2008, 03:39 pm »
jtw,
Would you care to share the name of the adhesive you used to bond aluminum? I want to build some aluminum speaker cabinets, but I don't want to expose my eyes to welding. Been thinking somebody must make a good glue for aluminum. I bet it's not cheap though?
Thanks
Rich

richidoo-

This should help you http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsServices/Adhesives/LORDEngineeredAdhesives/AcrylicAdhesives/tabid/3965/Default.aspx

Keep in mind that welding would be great if done properly...the hardest part of that IMO will be keeping the panels from distorting.  It can be done but patience will be key.  Also, what type of finish will you do?  Post welding if you want a smooth edge you will need to mill/grind the weld, therefore creating marks.  Just another step to polish them out.  I think that the adhesive/bolt way is stil the best way.  I was going to build this in segments  but decided against that.  I would create "slices" which were about 1" thick and they would bolt/glue together and you would never see any of the hardware.  Again, the cost/time involved was going to be MUCH higher then what doing this cost.  Happy to help if I can...

Thanks for all nice comments.  It does feel good to know that someone else can appreciate it.  Too bad you weren't closer to hear them...

WerTicus

« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2008, 03:58 pm »
so what would it cost to buy a box like this from you? :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2008, 09:11 pm »
so what would it cost to buy a box like this from you? :)

umm.  more then you probably would think it's worth....

just because of the time/material cost.