Kismet @ RMAF = UNBELIEVABLE

seriousjazz

Kismet @ RMAF = UNBELIEVABLE
« on: 12 Oct 2008, 05:57 am »
It's my first post here.  Klaus told me about Audiocircle, and I met a few members in his room.  I am very glad that I made the trip from SF.  I wanted to check out the Belles amps and the Salk and Emerald Physics speakers.  They all are very good.  excellent, actually.  And then I made the mistake of walking into the Odyssey room.  Yes,  I have read about Odyssey but always dismissed them because of the low prices.  Big mistake as it turns out.

Klaus is showing his new Kismet line.  Let me explain it this way,  I am buying the complete Kismet system, loudspeakers, mono amps ( actually 5 of them), Candela preamp, which will be upgraded to the Kismet preamp next year, and the Kismet phono stage.  What I have heard in the Odyssey room was unbelievable.  The musicality, the amount of effortless and layered soundstaging, the voicing, dynamics,  every part of the performance had me drooling.  The woodworking on the cabinets are beautiful, and the machining of the Kismet electronics are out of this world.  Klaus showed a case disassembled, and I would eagerly pay $ 2000 for a case alone.  UNBELIEVABLE.  But a case does not make music, and the Odyssey room was on the very top of my list for best sound.  Easily on the top of the list, besting systems for $ 100.000 and more.   Ultimately the one product that I am impressed with the most is the Kismet phono preamp.  Looks of a $ 10,000 unit and a sound that is soooooo good.

I know that many others feel the same.  Outside the Odyssey room I overheard two magazine reviewers exiting the room.  They could not believe what they heard.  I spent two hours in the Odyssey room and a vast majority of the people coming in for a listening were godsmacked.  My brother in law came with me and he was not really looking to buy anything.  More a boys out of town trip for him.  He loves music and plays Saxophone, but not a real audiophile.   in the end he also bought a system, Loreleis, Stratos stereo amplifier and the Candela.  I know that Klaus is doing serious business at the show.  A couple sat with us for some time and they ended up getting the complete Kismet system as well.  Imagine this we had to wait for them to sign up before we could order.  In his folder I saw the order sheets.  Klaus had over 20 orders already.  On Saturday afternoon with Sunday still to come.  His system is that exceptional.

I don't think that it is a secret here on Audiocircle that Klaus is a great guy.  He is funny, no bull whatsoever.  He is a huge guy with a personality to match.  We had some drinks and we enjoyed his company.  We had drinks,  he had coffee.

Everybody out there,  check out the Kismet.  In my 35 years in this hobby I have never been this impressed.

Thank you,  Nicolas

MaxCast

Re: Kismet @ RMAF = UNBELIEVABLE
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2008, 11:15 am »
Way to go Klaus !!!      :thumb:      Welcome to AC Nicolas.

Any body have any pics?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2008, 06:23 pm »
Nice 1st post Nick, Welcome to Audiocircle. :thumb: It's refreshing to see such a positive opening post after having to endure a lot of trash posts from newcomers lately. :lol: I do know what you mean tho when it comes to Odyssey. I've owned my 2 pairs of Lorelei loudspeakers for 4 years now and I continue to be impressed by the imaging & depth of it's soundstage. I've never had an opportunity to meet Klaus myself but it's on the very top of my "to do" list,,,, one of these days. :D

Cheers,
Robin

ps,,, I live for jazz. :dance:

dangerbird

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2008, 08:07 pm »
Great post Nick,, welcome to AC.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2008, 08:44 pm »
Klaus is one of the true good guys in this business. Spent a good portion of RMAF 2006 in the Odyssey room and had a great time.

I've had my Loreleis and a Stratos Extreme for 3 years now and have no desire to replace them. Heck, have not even had the desire to go the "glass ceiling" monos route. Just enjoying the music. Klaus has a customer for life in me but the gear is so good that it may be years before I buy anything else from him!

Welcome aboard!

martinr

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2008, 01:20 am »
IMHO the sound of the Odyssey room at RMAF bested many of those with systems costing thousands of dollars more...

I took one picture of the Kismet amps and speakers:

Hope you can see the picture - Nice meeting you Nicolas - congratulations on your purchase!  I am constantly amazed at how well the Loreleis Image....

I discussed the glass ceiling upgrade option for my stratos monos se's with Klaus at RMAF.  I explained that I had done no room conditioning as of yet and I felt that should be my next step before I spend more $$ on electronics.  He agreed with me and suggested I put a couple of artificial plants behind my Lorelei's -
I have them 24" from the back wall with a big screen TV is between them (not the best configuration) -
So my wife and I bought some plants with straw/bamboo stalks behind them (stalks are about 5' high) and placed them behind the loreleis- OMG what a great upgrade - the loreleis image better than ever before, I could hear the music come into better focus as my wife placed the plants behind the speakers...

Klaus is a wonderful person, I'm a customer for life also.

aa

- Martin

2gumby2

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2008, 02:15 am »
Yep, the Kismet speakers absolutely crushed speakers costing thousands more and I was one of the ones that ordered a pair on Saturday at RMAF. I had absolutely no intention of purchasing any commercially available speakers as I enjoy building my own (using other's designs), but the Kismets were impressive enough that I don't think I could do better. I sure hope thay sound as good as they did at RMAF in my listening room.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2008, 04:37 am »
Wow, wow, wow.

I feel so happy for Klaus (and for all of you who attended RMAF) I think the guy is back (if ever gone) with a vengance, he told me Kismet was truly outstanding and I read the comments and really I feel very happy, Klaus is a great guy, as Jim N. said it : Klaus is one of the true good guys in this business... period. and this may be unconfortable to some big names in audio "glam" industry.

Thanks Nicolas, welcome, and thanks for the picture Martin.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2008, 04:09 pm »
Seems you caught me in the sweet spot martinr.... :lol:

Arriving at Klaus' room...he needed to take quick break...so I had the "run of the room" for awhile. Got to play a few tracks of whatever I wanted.... 8)

The new stuff is quiet good....in fact...very good. You can see from the photo that the look has changed...Kismet is here.  :thumb:

Build quality on the amps....very solid. A total package....sounded better than I ever heard the Odyssey line sound.....and I was "pumping" them. :rock:

I think Klaus has raised the bar again....he's posting less,but improving his products....and you can see and hear the results....way to go.

Thanks Klaus...I had a good time....and your right...that remastered Deep Purple sounded good....

Sorry I forgot to bring you coffee..... :duh:

Good luck..... :beer:

Chris

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2008, 04:12 pm »
Chris,

Did you get to play "Tin Pan Alley"?

I always loved hearing that on Klaus' system.

I agree with you in that the new line looks very sharp and is an nice step up in the cosmetics department.

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2008, 04:33 pm »
Chris,

I agree with you in that the new line looks very sharp and is an nice step up in the cosmetics department.

George

Not "Tin Pan Alley"....but "Riviera Paradise" by SRV (nice track)....along with Frank Sinatra...Ricky Lee Jones....Dion......Jim Bianco....Weather Report...Nine Horses...ZZ Top....and Deep Purple.

GregC and his wife were there along with Captain Humble.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2008, 05:02 pm »
It was impressive for sure. They sound like BIG speakers!

But there was a fullness to the mid-bass I couldn't get over playing some of my own demo tracks that smeared the rest of the freq. range. It didn't look like he had any room treatments and I'd guess bass traps would have gone a long way to help this. Nevertheless, I think the value offered is quite good and would look into them further if I was in the market.

spacedghost

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2008, 05:25 pm »
Chris,

George

I only listened to this cut twice on my many trips to this room.... :thumb:

Wow is right...
I will be upgrading my Khartago amps.

Klaus made me an offer I couldn't refuse (unfortunately my boss found a way to..  :cry:). These will have to wait for my bonus, but they will be mine.

It was great to finally meet Klaus in person what a pleasure.

Shaun

Sonny

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2008, 05:50 pm »
Great Buzz Klaus...
Now the question is, how much is this stuff? :duh:

martinr

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2008, 07:04 pm »

Arriving at Klaus' room...he needed to take quick break...so I had the "run of the room" for awhile. Got to play a few tracks of whatever I wanted.... 8)

The new stuff is quiet good....in fact...very good. You can see from the photo that the look has changed...Kismet is here.  :thumb:

Build quality on the amps....very solid. A total package....sounded better than I ever heard the Odyssey line sound.....and I was "pumping" them. :rock:

I think Klaus has raised the bar again....he's posting less,but improving his products....and you can see and hear the results....way to go.

Thanks Klaus...I had a good time....and your right...that remastered Deep Purple sounded good....

Chris

Didn't know that was you sitting there Chris - I think I took the picture, left while Klaus had a cigarette and came back later.

I agree,
Klaus has raised the bar - if you take into consideration the "bang for the buck" you get with his systems I thin you would be hard pressed to get a better sounding system at this price point.

- Martin

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2008, 07:42 pm »

Chris

Didn't know that was you sitting there Chris - I think I took the picture, left while Klaus had a cigarette and came back later.

I agree,
Klaus has raised the bar - if you take into consideration the "bang for the buck" you get with his systems I thin you would be hard pressed to get a better sounding system at this price point.

- Martin

Martin, you should know the RMAF lore: Whenever someone takes a picture at RMAF Chris magically appears in it. It's an amazing phenomenon, the ubiquitous Wolfy ;-).

bunky

« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2008, 10:34 pm »
 Was there a prototype of the Kismet tube preamplifier @ the show  :scratch: Klaus and the boys from Indy are phenominal  :thumb:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2008, 10:44 pm »
Nothing on the Odyssey site about "Kismet" product line.

cheers Charlie

johnzm

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2008, 10:50 pm »
will someone post some higher resolution pics ofthe amps?

thanks!

Sonny

« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2008, 11:22 pm »
The new speakers do look like the Loreilis...
I wonder how they are different.
T