What is a good pre-amp or integrated amp for around $1000 to $1400?

geowak

What can you recommend for a good pre-amp or integrated amp. What you have listened to and liked alot, not heard about. Hope to find one with-

1. A low noise unit. No hum or added noise.
2. Solid state (no tubes)
3. Simple design
4. Budget is $1000 t0 $1400 (new or used)

Thanks

timind

• permanent vacation
Okay, I'll go first.
I have owned more integrated amps than I can remember and the one that I'll keep is the Bel Canto eVo2i. Runs cool (class D) is dead quite and a pure joy to listen to. Very friendly to use also with a good remote and a volume control that is exceptionally precise. Others will have their favorites so check them out. I never hesitate to recommend this amp and on two occasions have received thanks from people who took my recommendation. They run right at your price point used. Here's mine

wilsynet

I assume you have speakers in mind already.  It would be helpful to know which speakers will be paired with the preamp or integrated.  Without know the power requirements, it's hard to know what to suggest.

New only, or is used (say, on Audiogon) also okay?  Remote control required?

If you have fairly modest power requirements, there is a Red Wine Audio Signature 30 on Audiogon right now for $1250.
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2008, 04:03 am by wilsynet »

CSI

Well, I can't argue with the Bel Canto recommendation but I doubt if you can get one within your stated budget. If you can, grab it.
Staying under $1,400, I'd say a used Creek might be the way to go. There are usually plenty of them on the used market and they have been the gold standard for integrateds for some time. If you don't need an active preamp (and most systems work fine without them) I strongly recommend the Channel Islands PLC.1. It is completely transparent - you get all the advantages of a good preamp with zero noise or coloration. And you will spend well under $1,000 for a brand new one.

I.Greyhound Fan

What, no mention of the insight preamp?  Also consider the Benchmark DAC-1 preamp for about $1500.  You can't get much simpler than the Benchmark and you get a DAC to boot.  The Benchmarks are supposed have no coloration to the music.  Whats recorded is what you hear.  There's a good review in a recent TAS magazine on it.

jules

You could have a look at this:

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/amp/CIA_1.htm

or even this, though it might be technically more than the rest of your system:

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/amp/FBI_1.htm

This site is a little difficult to understand but the products are first class build and technically clever.

jules

groovybassist

I've been using a Naim Nait5i for almost 4 years and it's a terrific amp.  You could probably get one used under $1000.  Good luck.

-Mike

martyo

The AVA Insight control (integrated) amp. Heard it at RMAF last year driving the HT3's and the SongTowers. Shares the very musical presentation of the best AVA gear.  8)

jman66

Two integrated amps I had the pleasure of using:

BV Audio A300SE - compact, powerful with a very clear presentation. Great imaging and soundstage, transparent.
BV Audio longer operates in the US, if that's a concern.

Jungson JA-88D - built like a tank, entirely Class A with enough power to drive difficult loads. Runs warm, not hot like some other Class A offerings. Great bass, killer midrange and smooth highs. I still own this integrated...

sts9fan

I think you could do very good in that price range looking at used Audio Research pre amps

IronLion

If you've already got a power amp (I imagine this is a possibility because you're considering a dedicated preamp) it would be very useful to know what it is, as mating the pre and power amp in a way that benefits both is very important.  If you don't already have a power amp and 30wpc (a strong 30wpc, if you can say that) would suffice with your speakers, I would second the vote for the used Signature 30 and look to upgrade it later to the 30.2 when funds permit.  The 30.2 is the amp I use and it does not disappoint.   

TheChairGuy

I was looking for something in the same range recently...and found a fine example.  If you are at all a vinyl junkie, or hope to one day try your hand at vinyl.....it is a true full function preamp with resistive and capacitive loading essential for high level vinyl playback.  A (high quality, non intrusive) LF and HF filter are std. and there are no tone controls.

I bought an Advent 300, a circa-1975 receiver (15 watts only) from Eric Whitacre/Sound of the Wood approximately 2 months ago and it was just finished by modder/EE David Plummer (who has been a consummate pro with communication throughout). No AM, only FM, and it works very well, btw  8)

You can configure them a variety of ways, but, I may as well make disclosure of the costs and related job that was done for each here (subject to cost changes at Sound of the Wood, of course):

1. A fully-functioning Advent 300 is obtained, rather than you supplying one. $185

Unit receives basic service: $200
2. Full electrolytic capacitor replacement with key caps Panasonic FC's.
3. Power supply is upgraded to twin 4700 uf caps (up from stock, twin 3000's).
4. Amplifier bias is checked/adjusted.
5. Tuner is aligned.

Mods:
6. All (12) rca jacks are replaced with bulkhead-mount, gold plated, teflon dielectric ones. $200
7. Solid core silver wire is used for connections to/from rca to jacks. $20
6. 4-pos cap loading switch is added for phono (none, 100, 220, 440 pf). $100
7. Pot is added for resistance loading to phono, 10 to 100k ohms, 47k marked. $50
8. Tone controls are disabled (reversible but not switchable). $40 (EDIT: raises line gain by 6db alone
9. Replace stock voltage regulators on secondary power rails (for preamp, tuner) w/modern devices for tighter voltage regulation. $50 
10. Install an IEC AC power inlet (socket) to allow use of aftermarket power cords. Delete circuit breaker and add fuse. $120. 
11. Key resistor upgrade using RN55 series Mil Spec parts $65
12. Packing and postage $35
13. Increase phono stage gain +6db - no charge (EDIT: from anemic 33db to 39db)
14. Replace output transistor rubber stand-offs with mica/thermal compound - no charge 
15. Repaint top cover - no charge

Total = $1065

http://soundofthewood.com/preamptuners.html

I live in an RF rich environment and the phono section is very sensitive to it...so my particular unit was sent back for some ferrite beads within, an RF filter at the IEC inlet and a couple other mods to reduce RF interaction.  I think all future Advent mods from David will have these...but you might inquire.

I use mine strictly as a preamp, and the most flexible of it's type that I can think of for a 2 channel enthusiast and vinyl lover, but it does have a 15 watt amplifier output (and headphone jack! :)) to use as a fully integrated system.

If it works well, sounds good - with all the flexibility it offers (Dial-a-Load, etc) I'd call that a bargain, the best I ever had....(sorry Mr. Daltrey  :wink:)

John

geowak

Thanks to all who shed some light on this question from thier own experience. Here is some added info that (I hope) may clarify my situation.

Equipment

Amp- Odyssey Stratos (with cap upgrade)
Preamp- Odyssey Candela (with various tube combos)
DAC- Benchmark USB1
Sources- Rega Apollo, Marantz DV-6400, Squeezebox 3 and Itunes on Macintosh
Speakers- Snell E-5 floorstanders (4ohm) or Monitor Audio BR2 bookshelf speakers (6 ohm)
(Need an amp with enough power to push low ohm speakers)

Not unhappy with the Odyssey gear, just not the sound I am looking for.

1 I do not want to go the DIY route, because I am lazy and not that tech savy.
2 I am intrigued by the class d amps, if done right. The Bel Canto looks very good.
3 Don't know if I will replace BOTH preamp and amp or just the preamp.
4 Have tried the Benchmark as a preamp, but want more preamp flexibility and connectivity
  than the USB1 has.
5 Do not want to go the tube route.
6 Looking for the most power, connectivty, flexibility and lowest noise.
7 Had heard a Boulder amp and preamp, and it was nice, also a Parasound Halo series, but   
  both are out of my price range

Any ideas are welcome and those who responded, can you say more about your equipment.
Thanks

TheChairGuy

geowak....note that the Advent is a receiver...so you are getting a (very) full-function preamp + FM stereo and a (small) 15 watt amp (which I do not employ) in for the low end of the price range you are seeking.  All in a very slimline case.

It is not vying for the best preamp ever...for that it needs to have dual mono architecture and or multiple stages of voltage regulation at the very least....but it's an incredible value for the 2 channel enthusiast - especially one that enjoys vinyl to the fullest  :thumb:

John

soundbitten1

5 Do not want to go the tube route.

What do you have against tubes ? I run a  ss amp with a tube pre and find the combo much better than all ss . In a preamp tube maintenence is minimal compared to an amp .

lazydays

you can buy a new Odyssey Candella for about $1400 (linestage with remote), and wait in line for the new phonostage that's supposed to be a real killer (and it matches the Candella). This is the first preamp I've ever used that I instantly knew the difference between it and what it replaced (in this case a Quicksilver linestage)
gary

I.Greyhound Fan

Give a look at the Cambridge Audio 840E for about $1500, reviews have been very good.  Also look at a used Bryston
BP-6, BP-16 or BP-26 preamp.

maxwalrath

To agree with an earlier thought, the tube pre / ss amp combos have worked very well for me in the past.  With preamp tubes, you usually just have to buy 1 good pair, put em in, and forget about them...no biasing, no replacement for many years, no real heat issues.  Just a thought.

I had amazing sound with a Stratos amp w. cap upgrade running from a Modwright 9.0se pre, which fits your price range on the used market.  The sound is really killer, and not "syrupy", if that is your objection to tubes.  One plus to trying this approach is that if you find one at a fair price, if you don't like it, you will be able to sell it very easily here or on Audiogon with little or no loss, so you get to try something that might be a really great match (as it was for me) with virtually no risk.  (I was running this combo with lots of different cdp's, and either Kestral Hotrods speakers or VMPS RM1's)

If you prefer the ss route, (and even though I'm sorta hocking my own gear, I'd suggest you try the above approach) I will likely be selling a Promithius TVC and AudioSector Patek soon.  I really like that amp.

Another thought: if you pay for shipping both ways (about $20 probably) I could send you a Mardis modded Trends amp to audition.  It is silly good for the $$, and if you haven't tried digital it might be a good way to explore the format w/ no risk.  Same thing goes for the TVC if you want to give it a try.

mcullinan

Ill 3rd that. Solid State amps with a tubed front/pre is a magical combo.

A used Audible Illusions 3a.. built like a tank and will outlive you! Or a Candela from Odyssey. Also built like a tank!
2 great choices in your price range!!!!
Mike

Oh those tube pricks! They never listen!

Canyoneagle

I'm not familiar with the specs of those speakers, and feel it is also important to know the sensitivity (in addition to the impedance).

If your speakers aren't very efficient (<90dB/1w/1m) it is hard to go wrong with NAD gear (new).  There are too many other great used 100-200w integrated amps in this price range to mention, but some have already been recommended below.  I'll second the Bryston recommendation.

If your speakers are somewhat efficient, I can heartily recommend getting a Red Wine Sig 30 (used), and a decware 5-input (passive) switchbox ($140).  I'm happy as a clam with this setup.  I bought a used sig 30 for $900 and sent it to Vinnie, and for $500 he did the 'sonic' upgrades to the 30.2 spec.  I'm one happy camper.  Noise is not an issue here because the amp is battery powered = QUIET.  You might check with Vinnie to see how he feels the sig could drive your speakers.

Otherwise, the Naim Nait 5i is a killer little amp for the money on the used market, and is quite capable with low impedence speakers.

As far as connectivity goes, are you looking for a pre-amp with a built-in USB (and perhaps DAC)?  It is not clear to me.  Anyway, all of my recommendations are assuming RCA inputs.

Good luck!