Help me find a new amp!

JeffBrown

Help me find a new amp!
« on: 19 Aug 2008, 11:57 pm »
Hi guys, I am thinking of replacing my long loved Quicksilver “Silver 90 Mono's”.  They have been wonderful to me for many years.  I am looking for a replacement amp.  Can you guys help me make my list? 

The amp needs to be attractive, 40 Watt minimum, and while tubes are not a necessity I have always preferred their more musical sound for lower cost.  Lets keep the new cost below 2500, and as long as they are still frequently available used they qualify.

So let me know your favorite amps from the present and recent past.

Thanks!

pardales

Re: Help me find a new amp!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2008, 01:11 am »
New company on the block (old school designer though). Custom, build to order stuff:

http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/Home

I am just a customer, no other interest.

JeffBrown

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2008, 04:11 am »
Pardales,
Thanks for the info on Niteshade Audio.  I have talked to Mr. Lamphear and while I don't quite think his product is the perfect replacement you may be seeing some more about his products in the future pages of A$$A!

Awesome Suggestion lets keep them coming!

Jeff

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2008, 11:19 am »
Jeff - What is it you dislike about your QS, or what are you trying to achieve by replacing it?

THE_ANSWERS

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2008, 06:30 pm »
Hi guys, I am thinking of replacing my long loved Quicksilver “Silver 90 Mono's”.  They have been wonderful to me for many years.  I am looking for a replacement amp.  Can you guys help me make my list? 

The amp needs to be attractive, 40 Watt minimum, and while tubes are not a necessity I have always preferred their more musical sound for lower cost.  Lets keep the new cost below 2500, and as long as they are still frequently available used they qualify.

Thanks!

just posted to "digital amplifier company" early today       i heard the dac4800a at a friends house and liked it lots     we compared it to a few other amps .....tubes!!!!!    ......and the guy who designed it is on ac so i told him       there was one on ebay for 1500 yesterday      his site digitalamp.com
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58526.msg521702;topicseen#new

also, check out http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/ampl/VEK4040.htm     this is a diy tube amp kit at 1700 and looks real nice    2x90w

good luck

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2008, 08:29 pm »
I had a nice little Cary SLI-80 integrated for a couple years. It actually makes 50W full power in two channels and is best played into a rather flat 8ohm speaker, but 4 ohm tap works fine too. It has 6SN7 drivers, 6922 inputs, and just about any octal output tube. I used SED 6550s with great enjoyment.  It is very pretty, has remote volume and mute, solid as a rock construction. Headphone amp is great. The used value has been rock steady at $1800 since I bought mine 3 years ago. Just sold it for $50 "profit" a few months back, not counting all the tubes I gave away as enticement. haha   A very nice little amp.
Rich

JeffBrown

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2008, 11:57 pm »
"Jeff - What is it you dislike about your QS, or what are you trying to achieve by replacing it?"

I love the tone and power from the QS pair, but very low WAF.  Dedicated audiophiles even tell me how ugly they are.  I really want something smaller, and more attractive.

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2008, 12:21 am »
A little more than your budget, but very stylish
and should have high WAF.

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

The new Elicit amp.  80wpc, solid state

Or do you just need a power amp?

rockadanny

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2008, 10:58 am »
From the Rega link above ...

All new Elicit amplifier

After over 18 years since the first Rega Elicit Amplifier was produced Rega is very excited to announce the release of the all new Elicit intergrated amplifier.

"intergrated"?
I might expect a flub like that from me, but to publish it in your ad? Picayune, but the misspelling of this word gets under my skin. Unless it is a UK proper way of spelling. Perhaps?

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2008, 11:00 am »
My appologies to Jeff as my comment in no way assists him with his quest. Sorry for the interruption.

JeffBrown

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2008, 07:42 pm »
My appologies to Jeff as my comment in no way assists him with his quest. Sorry for the interruption.

Since I have been married to an English teacher for past 6 years, I am used to such interruptions! 

Richidoo recommended the Cary SLI 80, but I would like to keep the conversation to power amps.  I need to be able to use the device as a reference to review pre-amps.  Since you mentioned Cary though, does anyone have any experience with the Rocket 88s?  Those look somewhat interesting from the recent Cary product line.   I understand that Kevin Deal still has a couple of new ones too…

Keep the ideas and opinions coming it have been very informative so far!

Jeff

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Suggest you try DAC4800A demo
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2008, 07:52 pm »

Since I have been married to an English teacher for past 6 years, I am used to such interruptions! 

Richidoo recommended the Cary SLI 80, but I would like to keep the conversation to power amps.  I need to be able to use the device as a reference to review pre-amps.  Since you mentioned Cary though, does anyone have any experience with the Rocket 88s?  Those look somewhat interesting from the recent Cary product line.   I understand that Kevin Deal still has a couple of new ones too…

Keep the ideas and opinions coming it have been very informative so far!

Jeff

Jeff,

I have a DAC4800A demo available and can let it go for a real low price.  Send me a private message if you're interested.

Here's the link:
http://www.digitalamp.com/4800a_amp1.htm

Thanks, and have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,
Tommy / Digital Amplifier Company
www.DigitalAmp.com

p.s. There's one up on Ebay and the higher priced Cherry Amp up on Audiogon, but the demo unit will be a lot less ca$h...

kenreau

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2008, 08:20 pm »

Thanks!

Shameless plug warning....I have a pair of Cayin 860 tube amp mono blocks posted on the trading post.  EL34 based, 40 watts Triode or switchable to 70 watt ultralinear, significant parts upgrades, NOS tubes, etc.  Close to your budget.  Located in Portland, Orygun.   

IronLion

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2008, 08:23 pm »
A used Red Wine Signature 30.2 would be my recommendation.  You'd be surprised what its 30 watts can do, and as far as liking tubes but not wanting to get too out there with the glass bottles, its an ideal fit.   

chadh

« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2008, 08:34 pm »

Manley Mahi monoblocks retail for $2500 a pair:  20w in triode mode and 40w in ultralinear.  I've heard them a couple of times at shows, and have really enjoyed them.

I'm not sure whether they pass muster as far as your aesthetic requirements are concerned, but I think they look cool, in a sightly intimidating, industrial kind of way.

Chad

Mariusz

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2008, 09:26 pm »
Two recommendations.
Depending on your taste and associated gear.

One would be RWA for its "tube like qualities" and high WAF.
Size wise, there is little to chose from that is similar to RWA Sig.30.2.

My second recommendation would be RGH Sound Dezign modifications for the amp of your choice.
I own Consonance Cyber 800 (78wpc modded by Bob Backert of RGH) mono blocks which look amazing.
They're not small but my wife loves the look so much I can't sell them, even if I wanted to. Besides, they sound fantastic after the mods.
I am not sure what is their value on the used market though.
The mods are not cheap but worth every penny.

Cheers
Mariusz

CSI

« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2008, 09:30 pm »
Aesthetics are always subjective but for great sound, great build quality and a probable improvement in sonics over the Quickies consider a pair of PrimaLuna Prologue Sixes. The new price is just over your limit and they'll offer a few dB headroom over your old amps.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2008, 10:54 pm »
i second the manley mahi's - killer amps.  only reason i sold mine is cuz i have a pair of audio mirror 6c33c 40wpc set's; & i happened upon a mesa baron, which is about my all-time fave amp - it sounds great, & can do most anything - from 55wpc full triode, to 150wpc full pentode, or two settings in between - 80w & 120w.  it also offers zero neg feedback, as well as -2/-4/-8 db negative feedback settings.  not sure if any of thes meet the waf, tho they all look killer to me.   :green:

doug s.

Zero

« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2008, 11:00 pm »
What speakers are you running ?
Whats your source?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
FINALLY!
« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2008, 01:44 am »
What speakers are you running ?
Whats your source?

Finally, the most important question, the speakers!