Review: Aeolus Audio magiDAC

toobwacky

Review: Aeolus Audio magiDAC
« on: 17 Aug 2008, 10:34 pm »
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein

I believe that simplicity of the signal path will yield the purest sound possible and this has been the guiding principle behind my h-fi system choices.  That is why I chose simple, highly efficient, wide band speakers, which can be driven by a basic vacuum tube amplification circuit that contains only a handful of parts. 

The Aeolus Audio magiDAC caught my attention because of the simplicity of its output stage.  After the DAC chip there is only a resistor and transformer… that‘s it!  There are no op-amps, transistors, tubes, capacitors, filters or feedback to muck-up the sound.   Intrigued, I ordered the standard unit without the optional transformer or digital clock upgrades. 

When the DAC arrived, I was quite impressed by its extruded aluminum case and high quality fit and finish.  Because my Cambridge transport offers digital volume control, I was able to connect the DAC directly into my *power amplifier for the simplest signal path possible.

Listening to this DAC, the first thing I noticed was that the high frequency hash I had previously heard using the Cambridge transport’s internal DAC is now completely gone.  The magiDAC just seems to let the music flow out of it in a way that is tonally and spatially natural.  With the very best recordings, the musicians and their instruments seem to be right there in the room with you.  It has been a blast playing all my favorite discs and feeling as if I am hearing, for the very first time, just how good they truly are!

If you are in the market for a well-built, good sounding, affordable DAC that provides a lot of bang-for-the-buck, I do not see how you could go wrong with this one.  This DAC should be on your audition list even if your budget is substantially higher than the magiDAC’s $325 retail price.  BTW, I have no affiliation with Aeolus Audio or Audiomagus other than being a happy customer.

(* My tube amplifier has high input impedance, which is an easy load for the DAC to drive… YMMV.)

The DAC specifications and photos can be found at this link:

http://www.audio-magus.com/Aeolus_DAC_1_p/adac1.htm

McPanse

Re: Review: Aeolus Audio magiDAC
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2008, 01:55 pm »
Toob-- It's been about a month since you posted your impressions of the magiDAC. Are you still happy with the unit? Any problems? Anything you would add to your original write up about its sound and performance?

Lastly, Audiomagus has a new version http://www.audio-magus.com/Aeolus_DAC_1_p/adac1.htm out just this week for $495. The custom transformer previously offered as an upgrade is now standard.

It doesn't have the toslink input, which is a firm requirement for me, but they say a toslink version is on its way.

pardales

Re: Review: Aeolus Audio magiDAC
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2008, 04:29 pm »
Any update? Anyone hear the newer version?