Silestone, Ceasarstone, or Zodiac countertop material as turntable plinth?

andyr

Hey,

No offense taken. We use granite at work for our visual measurements as an isolation platform. We are down to the 100,000 of an inch and the surface of measurement must be stable. Marble does not work! It has an incorrect grain structure that actually transmits vibrations. Wood is OK, but mass with the proper grain is the king of stopping vibration.

Wayner

Have you ever tried slate, Wayner, in your work?  My understanding is that it "rings" much less than granite and so I would assume it has an even better grain structure?

Regards,

Andy

Wayner

We have not tried slate, and I would be concerned about breakage. It breaks apart very easy.

Wayner

andyr

We have not tried slate, and I would be concerned about breakage. It breaks apart very easy.

Wayner

Well, I use it on top of squash ("racket") balls for isolation platforms for my electronics and it certainly doesn't flake apart!  :?

Yes there is "slate" - the flakey stuff which Victorian buildings use as a roofing material ... which definitely flakes.  The stuff I have - which was sold to me as "slate" - is a consistent slab about 1" thick with no obvious striations.  Victorian buildings have been known to use thick slabs (2" thick) of this sort of material for fireplace hearths.
Regards,

Andy

Bill A

Here is a link to a source for granite surface plates. http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=granite  Proabably what Wayner uses at work.  Not too expensive to buy, but shipping costs may be high!

We remodeled our kitchen and used 3cm DuPont Zodiac for the counter tops.  I kept the sink cutout and it is heavy; probably around 70lbs.

Check around with some local solid surface fabricators.  You may be able to buy cutoffs for a reasonable price.

I plan on building an equipment rack using 1.5" steel tubing for the framework and topping it off with a slab of concrete in the same manner as concrete counter tops.  We'll see just how that turns out :lol:

Bill

toobluvr

Here is a link to a source for granite surface plates. http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=granite  Proabably what Wayner uses at work.  Not too expensive to buy, but shipping costs may be high!

Bill

That's exactly where I got mine....along with the matching machinist stand.

See my earlier post and photo in this thread.......middle of Pg 1.

Anyone local interested in buying it, look me up.
But bring your girdle to move this thing!
 :lol:

John

Bill A

I saw the stands at Grizzly, but didn't make the connection to yours.  Its funny becasue I walked over to the machinist's shop and he has a 24x24x4" block on a stand and I'm thinking "What a great euqipment rack that would make."  :lol:

Bill

toobluvr

I saw the stands at Grizzly, but didn't make the connection to yours.  Its funny becasue I walked over to the machinist's shop and he has a 24x24x4" block on a stand and I'm thinking "What a great euqipment rack that would make."  :lol:

Bill

Yeah...if you like "industrial-chic"!
 :lol:

I changed mine from the original submarine grey to the black you see, and added some shelves underneath,  to try and soften the industrial look just a bit.

SET Man

Granite.

Wayner

Hey!

Beautiful turntable there Wayner :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
I used slate to build my rack. The shelves vary in thickness from 1.5 to 2 inches. Only one flat surface (top). Here's a pic of a shelf.

I do believe provides better vibration control than granite but building a turntable plinth would be difficult.

SET Man

I used slate to build my rack. The shelves vary in thickness from 1.5 to 2 inches. Only one flat surface (top). Here's a pic of a shelf.

I do believe provides better vibration control than granite but building a turntable plinth would be difficult.

Hey!

Now that is something I would like to have myself  8)

How did you drilled all those holes? Was it hard to do?

Do you have a full shot of the shelf?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation

This is a pic of my system a few months ago. I am now using a pair of Proac Response 1.5s in place of the Silverlines.
As for the rack, it wasn't too difficult to build. Finding stones of adequate size and with a good flat surface was the challenge. Once I described what I was doing to the guy at the stone center what I was doing he became pretty helpful. I chose Pennsylvania purple slate with a rough hewn look.
As for construction,I drilled the holes with big Dewalt hammer drill and various sized carbon tipped drill bits, starting with !/4 inch holes and working my way up. My daughter stood by pouring water on the drill bit as I drilled. It was not as hard as I thought it might be. Caution though, don't use a hammer drill as it split the stone. Of course the shelves are easy to adjust and level. Also, I've read where these style racks can be wobbly. This one doesn't wobble at all when properly tightened. Even with only three stone shelves it it heavy. My only regrett is that I didn't opt for larger threaded rod. If I was to build another I would use 3/4 inch rods.

Harold-not-the-Barrel

Hi guys

I have recently felt really stoned, I mean soapstoned  :icon_surprised:
I have my direct drim driven platter directly to soapstone plinth  :green:

The very heavy plinth sits on delrin/sorbothane shock absorbers  :thumb:
The sound is fantastic !   :D

Harold

Ericus Rex

Real sweet setup, Harold!    :thumb:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Hi guys

I have recently felt really stoned, I mean soapstoned  :icon_surprised:
I have my direct drim driven platter directly to soapstone plinth  :green:

The very heavy plinth sits on delrin/sorbothane shock absorbers  :thumb:
The sound is fantastic !   :D

Harold

Hi Harold NTB, Welcome to vinyl circle.

Sweet set-up!!  Trans-Fi arm and motor?  Those are sorbothane pucks with Delrin inserts or bottoms?  Available commercially?

Are you familiar with Cat's squirrel's work with transmission of sound/vibrations through different materials?

http://qualia.webs.com/plinths.htm

Nice to see you here,
neo

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
   Just think mass, mass and mass. There are many solutions. First we want to drain vibration and resonance from TT both airborne and internal. then dissipate such into heat. Using alum footers or cones with high dissipation factor will transfer vibration to plinth. The plinth material should transfer vibration into heat. I like using a hard plywood sitting atop a visco elastic material resting on granite [ as thick as you can manage  ] sitting on 7/8th HDMDF.

charles

Gzerro

Any thoughts about acrylic as a shelf material?

My setup has the coned feet on Herbies discs, sitting on an acrylic shelf which is isolated from the rack by visco elastic discs. I have considered adding another layer on top of the acrylic but pretty happy with the current setup.