Any AC'ers in the SLC area?

Canyoneagle

Any AC'ers in the SLC area?
« on: 5 Jun 2008, 01:07 pm »
Are there any AC'ers on the Wasatch Front (Ogden to Provo)?
If so, lets get a group together for some listenin'!
Perhaps a group road trip to visit Duke up there in Southern Idaho!!!!   :wink:

Warmly,
Michael

batmanslc2

Re: Any AC'ers in the SLC area?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2008, 02:53 pm »
Greetings Michael, I'm in Cottonwood Heights, shoot me an email at m-ray@comcast.net
cheers,  ---Mark

Lyndon

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2008, 02:30 am »
Michael,
I'm in Salt Lake, but I will be gone until late June, early July.

Hoping to connect with Scott of Gateway Audio Society in St. Louis area this coming Sunday, should be fun.

Keep me posted of anything happening.  The only audio guys I have met here have been through another forum, and it
was mainly up in Bountiful.  If you like tubes, you do know that Josh Stippich of ElectronLuv.com fame lives south of Salt Lake in the Alpine Meadows area?
But his site has been down for some time, so I don't know what his happening with him.
Here is a link to the 6 Moons review of his stuff.  http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/josh/josh.html
Hope to catch ya later!
Lyndon
I'm in the Mill Creek area

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2008, 04:32 am »
Hi Michael, Mark & Lyndon.  Audio addicts in the area welcome to PM me anytime.  (CA Bay Area ex-pat since 3/07.)

I'm in Providence (1 minute from Logan), 45mins NE of Ogden; visit SLC regularly.  Have met audio person extraordinaire/retailer/speaker designer Duke LeJeune of AudioKinesis (circle here) in Preston ID, about 30mins N of me.  Duke's speakers must be heard.  Must confirm w/ Duke, but believe he's amenable to bringing down his 100% pure substance (AKA speakers) at my place, which is bigger & may accomodate more listeners (obviously I would like to hear them in my own room too, as if I need another audio product to desire).   

Flexible schedule; count me for any get togethers.

FYI a local owner of a software company & restaurant had planned to open an ultra-high-end store in Logan but plans may be on hold....too bad....he was considering displaying Duke's speakers. 

Cheers!

Jimbo         
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2008, 07:51 pm by ro7939 »

Canyoneagle

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2008, 12:38 am »
Sounds like we have the beginnings of a little group!

I'm REALLY interested in hearing Duke's speakers, especially with my RWA sig 30.2.  I'd think they would be a magical combo.  I also know that Emerald Audio Physics is in Park City, and their warehouse is in SLC proper.  I'd be super-keen to set up a CS-2 listening session sometime!

We are building a place out in (hold yer laughter - I sure had to) Daybreak, and will have a 13'6 x 16' basement room that I will be dedicating to music and movies.  I'll be treating the space pretty extensively.  WOOHOOO!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:16 am »
Sounds like we have the beginnings of a little group!
Yeah!

I'm REALLY interested in hearing Duke's speakers, especially with my RWA sig 30.2.  I'd think they would be a magical combo.

I'm at least as neurotic/picky as the next audionut.  When I first talked w/ Duke & he told me he designs/builds speakers, at age 53 I could not help but think something along the lines of just what the world needs...then upon reading his website & learning about his past workings w/ Earl Geddes & the waveguide stuff, could not help but become very interested.  Hearing the speakers made me an instant believer.  Whooda thunk, almost in our backyards!  Duke's great personality & frank honesty are like a royal flush every hand.

I very much want to hear your amps driving AudioKinesis.  My only significant digital amp exposure was the (Soundstream?) Musician Mk3, pretty old circuit design by today's standards IIRC.  Duke's Atma-Sphere S-30 Mk3 is my next amp; the total package (& affordable) driving loads like Duke's.   

I also know that Emerald Audio Physics is in Park City, and their warehouse is in SLC proper.  I'd be super-keen to set up a CS-2 listening session sometime!
A friend/pro audio engineer put them high on his list after hearing them at CES '08.

We are building a place out in (hold yer laughter - I sure had to) Daybreak, and will have a 13'6 x 16' basement room that I will be dedicating to music and movies.  I'll be treating the space pretty extensively.  WOOHOOO!
Oh, the sweet joy of moving from CA to UT, where families w/ 5 kids are practically considered barren, where 5 & 6 bedroom houses are average, where huge basements rule the day...you couldn't get me to move back there if you paid me.  I call the doctor for a visit & they ask if I want to come in.........LATER THAT DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I did errands for the majority of one day recently & don't think I ever walked more than about 50' from the car to the front door.  I walked in to DMW to get my license, a pleasant lady sits in front of me at a desk, looks me in the eye & says in perfect English, "May I help you sir?"  I almost requested to "Activate the 911 system" (as we say in the business) after picking myself up off the floor, looking over my shoulder to see if she was talking to someone behind me & realized she was talking to me.  Oh & I'm still getting used to business people reminding me of ways to spend either LESS or NOTHING!  I could literally go on for hours & am still regularly amazed.  I close by saying UT is aparently a parallel universe to CA.       

You can purchase OC703 rigid glass in bulk & save money on treatments, though you'll obviousy save time purchasing Ethan Winer's Real Traps (he posts a lot in The Acoustics Circle), who seems to be completely on top his game & his prices reasonable.

I wish someone 'round here had the ModWright Transporter to audition.  Maybe we can get one from Dan for us all to audition at once.  I just sent him an email on this subject though I did not mention a group audition. 

Definitely look at Ethan Winer's Real Traps website & Cardas Audio as soon as possible before finishing your room.  My large basement room was already built but turned out to have very few bass modes.  Bass transients are quick & clean bouncing off a concrete floor/speaker wall & brand new sheetrock built to modern high-grade residential standards, esp compared to my prior 40 year old tract house in a decaying neighborhood (as is common in the state having the world's 7th largest GDP if it was a country).      

jon_010101

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:39 am »
Just want to note that I'm in Logan  :thumb:

85% of my stereo is still in PA where I moved from, but I have two vintage tube integrated amps here, and a bunch of toys.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:45 am »
Jon
That's a bummer.  Logan's a whole 60 seconds or so from me in Providence. :lol:  Do you ride mountain bikes?  I've been riding the Bonneville Shoreline trail lately.  Lotsa fun if you like shale & steep hills! 

jon_010101

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:52 am »
Jon
That's a bummer.  Logan's a whole 60 seconds or so from me in Providence. :lol:  Do you ride mountain bikes?  I've been riding the Bonneville Shoreline trail lately.  Lotsa fun if you like shale & steep hills! 

Just getting into the habit again!  I hadn't rode since 2000.  I've done the river trail from my place 5 times now.  I haven't really figured out all the Bonneville Shoreline routes but they are on my list (along with Green Canyon).  Climbing is still a bit rough for me, I'm not sure I've adjusted to the altitude difference :thumb:

BTW, if you know of any Logan audiophiles who want a nice JuicyMusic Peach -- lemme know.  I had it shipped here then wimped out on sending my non-integrated tube amps ;)

Canyoneagle

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:52 am »
You can purchase OC703 rigid glass in bulk & save money on treatments, though you'll obviousy save time purchasing from Eric Weiner here, who seems to be completely on top his game & his prices more than reasonable.

I wish someone 'round here had the ModWright Transporter to audition.  Maybe we can get one from Dan for us all to audition at once.  I just sent him an email on this subject though I did not mention a group audition. 

Definitely look at Eric's website & Cardas' as soon as possible before finishing your room.  My large basement room was already built but turned out to have very few bass modes.  Bass transients are quick & clean bouncing off a concrete floor/speaker wall & brand new sheetrock built to modern high-grade residential standards, esp compared to my prior 40 year old tract house in a decaying neighborhood (as is common in the state having the world's 7th largest GDP if it was a country).      

I was unaware of Eric's presence!  Do you have a link?  Thanks!

I'll be in limbo until the house (technically it is "condo" on 3 levels) is built, nut if anything materializes between now and November count me in!  other than the last half of August, I'll be around.

[/quote]

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:04 am »
You can purchase OC703 rigid glass in bulk & save money on treatments, though you'll obviousy save time purchasing from Eric Weiner here, who seems to be completely on top his game & his prices more than reasonable.

Definitely look at Eric's website & Cardas' as soon as possible before finishing your room.  My large basement room was already built but turned out to have very few bass modes.  Bass transients are quick & clean bouncing off a concrete floor/speaker wall & brand new sheetrock built to modern high-grade residential standards, esp compared to my prior 40 year old tract house in a decaying neighborhood (as is common in the state having the world's 7th largest GDP if it was a country).      

I was unaware of Eric's presence!  Do you have a link?  Thanks!

I'll be in limbo until the house (technically it is "condo" on 3 levels) is built, nut if anything materializes between now and November count me in!  other than the last half of August, I'll be around.

Sorry, I'm a doofus.  I'll edit the earlier post in a second.  It's ETHAN WINER of Real Traps located here http://www.realtraps.com/  Also try George Cardas' site at Cardas Audio.

Good luck remembering to eat, breath & drink water after opening those sites! 

Cheers!
Jimbo

Canyoneagle

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:08 am »
Nice........
What about GIK's products? 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:09 am »
Nice........
What about GIK's products? 

'Splain Lucy?  I've seen the initials but can't place them.

Michael, definitely look at Ethan's room calculator http://www.realtraps.com/modecalc.htm & read Cardas' advice before placing your walls.
Jimbo

Canyoneagle

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:14 am »
Sorry!
GIK Acoustics is a company that makes acoustic treatment products, much like realtraps.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

I'm reading up on modecalc at the realtrap site.  Very informative.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:16 am »
Jon, it took me a good couple months to adjust from sea level to Logan's 4900' elevation (a bit higher on the bench of course but not sure how much).  The view of the Wellsville Mtns & Cache Valley from the Bonneville Shoreline Trail is great! 

Canyoneagle

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:21 am »
I've been doing quite a bit of trail running (I no longer own a mountanbike, but used to be quite an avid rider) along the southern section of the Booneville shoreline trail South of Little Cottonwood Canyon to Draper.  Very nice!!!!!
I've been considering building up a 29er or a cyclocross bike to get back on the trails again.  Who knows?
However, methinks a visit from Duke may help me set my priorities - Jazz modules, anyone?  aa

Hmmmmmm, build up a bike or buy a set of JM's

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:31 am »
My brother in law referred me to this site http://www.allchurchsound.com/ACS/edart/sono1.html
making affordable acoustic treatments from lengthwise 1/2 cuts of sonotube concrete formers.  I've got at least one bookmark for a CA East Bay industrial source selling OC703 in bulk for a decent price. 

Michael you can rent your room out as a church on Sundays!   :lol:

Have you ridden trails on a 29?  How much better than my (?)...what is my regular mtn bike, 26?  First time on the shale I had semi-knobs...what a revelation on regular knobbies later.   

cryoparts

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:33 am »
Hey Guys,

I lived in Happy Valley for many years, and still have close ties to the area.  We used to have an audiophile club (Timpanogos Audio Society) that met (mostly) at my retail store in Provo and used to have around 20 people participating, so there is a pretty good group of audiophiles just in Utah Valley.

Plus, you live in a an area that has a ridiculous number of high end companies, in light of the sparse population of the state.  I'm just listing these off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll miss some as there are bound to be new ones since I left 6 years ago:

Sonicweld
Wilson Audio
Kimber
Red Dragon Audio
Zu Audio
Wasatch Cable Works
Sound Lab
Electron Luv
Emerald Physics
Alternate Audio
Chateau Research/Unitek
Talon (if Rives hasn't moved them)
Kevin Brooks Audio
Rolls Corp.  (makes the Bellari head amp)
Escalante Audio

And, of course, Duke from Audiokinesis.  Not in Utah, per se, but close.

Apologies to those who I have missed.  But, just those companies listed above, giving presentations and tours and such, should keep you all busy!

Peace,

Lee

cryoparts

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:35 am »
That's easy.  Buy a set of JM's before Duke wises up and charges the $25k a pair they are worth.   :D

Lee

Hmmmmmm, build up a bike or buy a set of JM's

Canyoneagle

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:38 am »
Michael you can rent your room out as a church on Sundays!   :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: