Hammond 193m chokes and amps, how do I hook em' up?

yooper

Hammond 193m chokes and amps, how do I hook em' up?
« on: 25 Apr 2008, 10:15 pm »
I borrowed a pair of 193m's from Big Red Machine to try with my SS Mono amps, and tried searching for an answer but no luck.   

Both chokes have a pigtail thingy, and i am using two outlets (one for each amp).  It looks like the pigtail plugs into the amp, amp power cord to the end that plugs into the amp, and I assume the other end is where the choke would plug into?   :scratch:

However, is it appears some people plug the choke into the same outlet as the amp.  I'm not sure what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete is out of town, so I can't ask him.  I will be returning the chokes next week and would like to be sure I went about things the correct way.

Mark

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
Re: Hammond 193m chokes and amps, how do I hook em' up?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2008, 10:36 pm »
This is my tweak....same outlet as the amp is preferred.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2008, 10:41 pm »
I'd use a Power Strip Liberator Plus (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=4189) to hook up the 193M to the lower outlet of the same duplex, into whose upper outlet your amp's power cord is plugged into.

Or if you have a 193L you can use this Monitor/Power supply Liberator (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=8224) to hook the choke to the IEC of your amp.

Better yet, as Alan Maher who invented this tweak and other goodies.

yooper

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2008, 12:41 am »
Thanks a lot boys, much appreciated!  :thumb:

Mark

zmanbands

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2008, 12:18 pm »
As you probably already figured out you put the leads on the choke, thingies, in a male a/c industrial grade plug. I got mine at Lowes for around $9, which are returnable if the chokes don't meet your expectations.

Huck

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2008, 12:33 pm »
As you probably already figured out you put the leads on the choke, thingies, in a male a/c industrial grade plug. I got mine at Lowes for around $9, which are returnable if the chokes don't meet your expectations.

Hi: Any pics of the Hammond chokes show bare wires! How do you hook the bare wires to the plugs? Any actual pictures available...not sure what the hook-up looks like! Thanks,Keith

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2008, 12:43 pm »
Mine just has two black wires; one goes to the line plug terminal and one to the neutral plug terminal.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2008, 12:54 pm »
That's right...one lead is hot and the other is neutral.

Huck

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2008, 02:48 pm »
I'd use a Power Strip Liberator Plus (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=4189) to hook up the 193M to the lower outlet of the same duplex, into whose upper outlet your amp's power cord is plugged into.

Or if you have a 193L you can use this Monitor/Power supply Liberator (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=8224) to hook the choke to the IEC of your amp.

Better yet, as Alan Maher who invented this tweak and other goodies.

Hi : Is something like this is what I need to plug into the Liberator? http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=947634&Ntt=947634&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber Thanks, Keith

zmanbands

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2008, 10:00 pm »
Huck. No, get something better at Lowes for around $9. The plug has 2 holes. Feed one wire in each hole. Don't push the wires in too far, you don't want the insulation to get in the way,ie  be involved,when you tighten down on the wires. Just putting a wire in a hole intuitively looks like it would not work, but it does.

Huck

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2008, 10:05 pm »
Huck. No, get something better at Lowes for around $9. The plug has 2 holes. Feed one wire in each hole. Don't push the wires in too far, you don't want the insulation to get in the way,ie  be involved,when you tighten down on the wires. Just putting a wire in a hole intuitively looks like it would not work, but it does.
Thanks zmanbands! I don't think we have a Lowes in Canada, Home Depot yep! Could you provide a link to a picture of what you are talking about, or what term do I use to Google it? Thanks, Huck

Phil

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2008, 10:49 pm »
Huck,
Perhaps the brand Zmanbands suggests is better, but I used something very similar to what is pictured in your link.  Very easy to use.  You don't even strip the wire (in fact, shouldn't). 

The instructions should be on the container:  Just pull out the prongs, pull the wire through the white case, pull the prongs apart and insert the wires, squeeze the prongs closed and reinsert into the case.  You are done.  Takes a few minutes. 

Huck

« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2008, 11:59 pm »
Thanks zmanbands! I don't think we have a Lowes in Canada, Home Depot yep! Could you provide a link to a picture of what you are talking about, or what term do I use to Google it? Thanks, Huck

We do in fact have Lowes in Canada, but still can't find the part! How bout a part #? Thanks, Huck

zmanbands

« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2008, 02:55 pm »
Sorry, the boxes with part # are gone. Try Home depot or an electrical supply. You are looking for industrial grade and if it doesn't say that it will sure look like it. You don't want 20 amp but 15 amp 3 prong 120 volt.

Huck

« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2008, 08:23 pm »
Sorry, the boxes with part # are gone. Try Home depot or an electrical supply. You are looking for industrial grade and if it doesn't say that it will sure look like it. You don't want 20 amp but 15 amp 3 prong 120 volt.

Thanks, but why three - prong when I thought the hammond only has two wires? . What is the exact name of the part, as I am still not sure what it looks like. Thanks, Huck

zmanbands

« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2008, 01:49 pm »
The plugs come that way. You aren't using the 3rd ground prong.

Huck

« Reply #16 on: 28 Apr 2008, 02:25 pm »
The plugs come that way. You aren't using the 3rd ground prong.

Hi: Anything on this page look like it!? Thanks, Huck   http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=24&Ntt=plugs&Ntk=i_products&N=0

zmanbands

« Reply #17 on: 28 Apr 2008, 10:16 pm »
Yes, item 71335 should work. Good luck.