iTunes volume control using a Mac remote.

Crimson

iTunes volume control using a Mac remote.
« on: 11 Mar 2008, 12:51 pm »
The following script is useful for folks who have USB or FW dacs. The supplied Mac remote will normally not control the output to the dac. Running this script after starting iTunes enables the remote to control the volume slider bar in iTunes:

on idle
set machineVol to output volume of (get volume settings)
tell application "iTunes"
set sound volume to machineVol
end tell
return 1
end idle

Copy and paste to Applescript then hit the 'Compile' button. Then File -> Save As -> File Format “Application”, check “Stay Open”, click "Save".

WARNING: The first time you use this script, do NOT do so without any sort of preamp or passive volume control before your amps. Once you get a feel for how it works, and understand that the iTunes volume slider is mapped to the Mac's system volume, you can try going direct to your amps.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2008, 09:24 pm by Crimson »

sbrtoy

Re: iTunes volume control using a Mac remote.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2008, 07:15 pm »
This is a great help to those who have USB DAC's and a sea of remotes, thanks Crimson! 

dspringham

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2008, 08:19 pm »
Does this macro work when running through the Front Row interface?

Also, generally we have been advised to always run the i-tunes volume control full open so as not to introduce any bit loss (as a result of reducing the volume setting of the control), however I think that it was Benchmark (the DAC manufacturer) who said that this is not a concern with the latest versions of i-tunes since the implementation of the volume control has been greatly improved and as a result is bit transparent.

Previous to i-tunes version 7 or so, the use of the volume control is NOT recommended for maximum playback quality.

Thanks for the great info Crimson. It would be interesting to try this i-tunes remote control going from my Cosecant directly into my amps (bypassing the Bent Audio TVC that I am currently using for remore volume control).

Dave

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2008, 09:12 pm »
Does this macro work when running through the Front Row interface?

Funny you should ask, it does with Tiger but doesn't with Leopard. I don't use Front row much, but have been meaning to look in to finding out why it doesn't work with Leopard. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, but I'd rather compile and test before posting. When I get a chance, I'll modify it for Front Row in Leopard and post it here.

Also, generally we have been advised to always run the i-tunes volume control full open so as not to introduce any bit loss (as a result of reducing the volume setting of the control), however I think that it was Benchmark (the DAC manufacturer) who said that this is not a concern with the latest versions of i-tunes since the implementation of the volume control has been greatly improved and as a result is bit transparent.

Previous to i-tunes version 7 or so, the use of the volume control is NOT recommended for maximum playback quality.

Correct on all counts.

Thanks for the great info Crimson. It would be interesting to try this i-tunes remote control going from my Cosecant directly into my amps (bypassing the Bent Audio TVC that I am currently using for remore volume control).

Be careful. The way the script works, it maps the iTunes volume slider to the 'machine' volume (the volume icon in the top right corner). As such, make sure it is minimized before starting iTunes followed by the script. You may want to leave the TVC in the mix when first starting out to get a feel for how it works to prevent any untoward damage to your speakers. Other than that, it'll be fine.

« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2008, 09:28 pm by Crimson »

bradbader

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2008, 03:11 pm »
The following script is useful for folks who have USB or FW dacs. The supplied Mac remote will normally not control the output to the dac. Running this script after starting iTunes enables the remote to control the volume slider bar in iTunes:

on idle
set machineVol to output volume of (get volume settings)
tell application "iTunes"
set sound volume to machineVol
end tell
return 1
end idle

Copy and paste to Applescript then hit the 'Compile' button. Then File -> Save As -> File Format “Application”, check “Stay Open”, click "Save".

WARNING: The first time you use this script, do NOT do so without any sort of preamp or passive volume control before your amps. Once you get a feel for how it works, and understand that the iTunes volume slider is mapped to the Mac's system volume, you can try going direct to your amps.

This is exactly what I am looking for but I am using Leopard and cannot get it to work. An update for Leopard would be awesome. Thanks!

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2008, 08:59 pm »
Hello Brad, and welcome!

The script does work with iTunes in Leopard (not Front Row) as long as your dac is not using async protocol (the newer Wavelength dacs use this protocol). I'm still working on getting it to work with Front Row in Leopard, but the async issue will still apply (i.e. it will not work with Front Row if running an async USB dac).

bradbader

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2008, 09:04 pm »
Hello Brad, and welcome!

The script does work with iTunes in Leopard (not Front Row) as long as your dac is not using async protocol (the newer Wavelength dacs use this protocol). I'm still working on getting it to work with Front Row in Leopard, but the async issue will still apply (i.e. it will not work with Front Row if running an async USB dac).

I see. My only intention was to use this with iTunes. I'm assuming that my Mbox2 must be using async protocol but I am unfamiliar with this aspect of functionality, so I'm pretty much stuck :(
Thanks for the welcome.

Brad