What speakers are you using with your RW amp?

Randy

What speakers are you using with your RW amp?
« on: 10 Feb 2008, 05:25 pm »
I plan to order a RW in the near future, but am curious about others' speakers. If you care to respond, please indicate whether you have a 30 or 70 model and the  sensitivity spec. of your speakers. Vinnie offers a high gain option, I believe, so that information might also be valuable if your amp has it.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2008, 09:35 pm by Randy »

miklorsmith

Re: What speakers are you using with you RW amp?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2008, 06:18 pm »
70.2s to Zu Definition 2s - 101 db at 6 ohms.  It's plenty.   :wink:

texendo

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2008, 06:48 pm »
Sig 70s into Devore Nines at 90.5db 8ohm.  You can't turn it up all the way.

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2008, 06:53 pm »
texendo - what do you mean by "can't turn it up all the way." Because it gets too loud for you?

marklivia

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2008, 06:55 pm »
Gallo Reference 3.1 in a 11x14x10 room. Plenty of juice in my Sig 30.2 to give me realistic levels on most music. And even though the Gallo's are only 88db eff., the little Red Wine TOTALLY kicks ass on the bottom end, tightest, fullest and most tuneful bass I've ever heard. The Gallo's are a very easy load, very little X-over. Beats out my all time fav in that department ,the Vandersteen Model 5. Doesn't go as low, mind you but listening to an upright bass on this combo....... pure magic.  

-Richard-

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2008, 12:47 am »
Hi Randy ~

Partially upgraded Signature 70.2's (without the new fast battery-recharge-system) with an SE tube preamp driving DIY 2-way Open Baffle speakers... 97db sensitivity @ 4 ohms.

I hope everyone reading this will please excuse my enthusiasm if I say that Vinnie's Signature 70.2 has a synergy with Open Baffle speakers that is incredibly uncanny... it may be (forgive me again) that one has not heard the full potential of the Signature 70.2 if you have not heard them on an Open Baffle/dipole speaker.

OK... I am guilty of gushing... but in all honesty my very positive post of my experiences with the Signature 70.2 is actually understated... every day there are fresh musical revelations that are simply stunning. As Dr. Frankenstein said "IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!" and that is what the Signature 70.2 does for music... it breaths life into it!!!!!!

Warm Regards ~ Richard

RoadTripper

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2008, 01:19 am »
Sig 70 -  VMPS RM40 - 92dB

sabes

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2008, 01:35 am »
tyler acoustics linbrook signature monitors: 94db, 4 ohms. i had vinnie dial back the gain when he performed the 70.2 upgrades, as i was using the 70.1's at between 9 and 12 on the volume dial for pretty loud listening. oh, and btw, still (30hrs +-) burning in the mods, but noticeable improvements across the board - no regrets!

R Browne

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2008, 02:36 am »
Sig 30 - Audio Note AN/J speakers (93 dB - 8 ohm nom.)

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2008, 02:55 am »
Sig 30.2 driving Omega Compact Hemps (8 ohms 96 db) and ACI Force XL active sub. Direct from Wadia 830 with no preamp. I LOVE what I hear.

TimJF

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2008, 03:10 pm »
An interesting alternative which I have enjoyed very much is Gemme Audio VFlex Vivace. A single driver construction with a Fostex FE108E Sigma 4" driver. Sensitivity 92 dB. Impedance 8 Ohms. Frequency response 20 - 20,000 Hz.
With greetings from a snowy Lappland in the north of Scandinavia.
/tim

Nick Bassman

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2008, 09:20 pm »
Sig 30.2 into Zu Def 2s via Kubala Sosna cables. Source is a dCS P8i. Very nice  :)

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2008, 05:58 am »
Right now, I have the Sig 30 feeding Ed's Hornshoppe Horns.
95db in a 10' X 15' room.
Can't wait to upgrade to the 30.2  :drool:.

nonoise

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:17 am »
While my review loaner is still in-house (awaiting bonding with his Isabella sistah), the 30.2 runs everything from Zu Def Pros and Presence to WLM GV Monitor and Rethm Saadhanas and DeVore Nines all the way down to "nastier" loads like the Mark & Daniel Maximums Monitor and Ruby (85dB and 82.5dB respectively). On the latter, I tend to run a preamp ahead if I want to rock out but it's not mandatory even though the figures on paper would say it is. Especially with the M&Ds (current-hungry little buggers), the actual current delivery of the 30.2's batteries is proven out and thus mirrors an earlier poster's experience with the Gallo 3.1 whose sealed side-firing woofers too thrive on current.

So while it's a small amp and its paper power lowish, it acts far bigger -:)

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:56 am »
Count me in for the Gemme's, but I'm using the Tainto's, which I just purchased.
They make some nice speakers and the 30.2 has plenty of juice for them.

Source is a Sooloos Music server and the Nagra PL-L preamp....

TimJF

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:15 am »
I agree - the Tanto loudspeaker fits perfect too. I have listened to both. As far as I understand it is a question about room size and music preferences.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2008, 02:19 pm »
Randy,

Thank you for starting this thread... and I want to thank everyone who has posted here regarding what speakers they are using with their RWA amplifier.  Keep 'em coming!  :thumb:   

I am going to make this thread a "sticky" here on the RWA forum so it is always in view and hopefully others will continue to add to it.  Later on when the Isabella is shipping, we can start a similar thread. :idea:

In Srajan's review of the Signature 30.2, page 3 collects this kind of data from RWA 30.2 customers:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine8/302_3.html

Hi TimJF,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum... thanks for posting here!

Thanks again,

Vinnie

texendo

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2008, 02:20 pm »
texendo - what do you mean by "can't turn it up all the way." Because it gets too loud for you?

I should have been more clear.  You can turn it up all the way, but they are driven to levels higher than I would care to listen for more than a couple seconds.  Very clean though even at loud levels.  Can create some serious bass with just those little 6.5"s on the Nines' sides.  I'm also currently using the modded EE Minimax preamp.  The sweetest sounds I've heard to date...

richs

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2008, 04:07 pm »
I'm driving Gallo Reference 3.1s. I have a pretty small room (15x15x7), but it is open on one side.  My Ref 30 has plenty of power for the Gallos.  I do have the Gallo SA amp to power the woofers, and this helps with the bass.  The Gallos are 88 dB efficient, but I keep the volume between 12 and 2:00.  Seems to be plenty of power, and the pairing is simply magical.  The Gallos have an electrostatic-like tweeter and no cross-over.  Simply fantastic speakers.

Rich

Randy

« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2008, 07:55 pm »
Vinnie, you have a P.M.