Double Ugly any updates on your Spectron Musician III SE

jbtrio

Just curious , because I sent my Musician III in for the SE mods. Wanted to know how you it worked out for ya, likes,dislikes etc.

Regards,
Joe

Double Ugly

Re: Double Ugly any updates on your Spectron Musician III SE
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2008, 07:11 pm »
Hi Joe,

Only that I'm *really* happy with the sound I'm getting now with a pair of Daedalus DA-1s.  I won't have anything definitive to say until I can swap out the Daedalus for my SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s.  I had shoulder surgery last month, so it's going to be a while longer before I can move these beasts.

Break-in was about as bad as I've experienced (stopped listening for ~ 10 days), but when it finally calmed down, it did so in a big, big way.  Again, I'll know more when the SP Techs are in the system, but I'm happy - and surprised, actually - by how good it sounds with the Daedalus. 

I've not heard the Daedalus sound anywhere near this good except when paired with the Butler Audio Monads, and I take that as a very good sign!  :D

jbtrio

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2008, 08:01 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Do you run your transporter straight into your amp?  Over the years, I tried running my sources that had gain control straight into my amps and always preferred the sound through a good pre-amp , more drive and fuller sounding without losing much transpercy and detail.
Hope you have a full and fast recovery!

Joe

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2008, 12:13 am »
Thanks for the well-wishes, Joe.

Yes, I run the Transporter direct to the amp.  I realize adding a nice pre- might improve things, but it's been a long time since I added anything into the chain which didn't in some way detract from the overall presentation.

Well, that's not entirely true.  There was a small-but-clearly-audible improvement with the Burson Buffer I auditioned (better pace, specifically), but I'm hoping the Spectron (like the Monads) will prove sufficiently good to avoid making a pre- a necessity. 

Time will tell... 

In the meantime, congrats on your upgrade.  You'll need some patience as break-in really is a bugger, but if you like the III, I think you'll be quite pleased with the improvements to the III SE.  :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2008, 04:57 am »
This has been a long time coming, and I'll have more to say as I spend more time with my current system.  That said, the short answer is yes, I like the combination of the Spectron Musician III Signature Edition and the SP Technology Timepiece 3.0s very much. 

The 3.0s just arrived yesterday, and though they have less than 24 hours on them, I was surprised at how clearly improved they are over the 2.1s.  I knew they'd be better, but I anticipated the improvements being more subtle.  Fortunately, that isn't the case.  :green:

Now I know why all the Mini owners have been so crazy about the sound they're getting.  90% of what I'm getting for the price of a pair of Minis just isn't fair, regardless of the wait time.

If initial indications are to be believed, the "like... very much" may soon become something like "outrageously good", but time will tell.  In the meantime, I can only say the Spectron has been a suitable replacement for the Butler Audio Monads.  That'll mean something to some and nothing to others, but IMHO it's a glowing endorsement.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2008, 09:52 pm »
you think it sounds good now?  wait until you have a good tubed preamp added to your system.   8)

doug s.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2008, 04:09 am »
Jim....

If initial indications are to be believed, the "like... very much" may soon become something like "outrageously good", but time will tell.  In the meantime, I can only say the Spectron has been a suitable replacement for the Butler Audio Monads.  That'll mean something to some and nothing to others, but IMHO it's a glowing endorsement.

Hmmmm....Having heard the Butler Monads a few times (I liked them).....
I should try to hear a Spectron.... 8)

Have fun Jim.... :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2008, 06:17 am »
There is a new Mk.2 version and a V-cap upgrade.

RodMCV

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2008, 02:01 pm »
There is also a Bybee Super Effect inside upgrade adding two modules on the hot lines.
A regular Bybee goes on the ground.
This is similar to the Bybee Super Effect Ultra Power Cord but internalized.
Rod

Spectron

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2008, 03:27 pm »
FYI,
I have placed on this forum the information  describing the Mk2 model.
Thank you,
Simon