Leather vs. fabric sofa... aesthetics vs. acoustics?

Nils

I'm getting a new sofa sectional for my listening/living room, and I've discovered an absurdly beautiful leather sectional at an equally absurd price--especially when compared to the cost of components in the Magnepan Altar :).  So here's the dilemma:

On the RealTraps site, Ethan Winer discusses the acoustic signature of his leather sofa pre- and post- covering the top with fabric.  It seems that leather is acoustically brighter than fabric.  There's a black fabric alternative, but I'm not as much of a fan (even though it looks almost identical to Maggie sock fabric).

What would you do in my situation?

arthurs

Re: Leather vs. fabric sofa... aesthetics vs. acoustics?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2008, 02:06 am »
Get the leather sofa, seriously....

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2008, 02:07 am »
Man-up and treat the room as any self-respecting audiophile would do!! :flame:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2008, 02:08 am »
Exactly.  It's more absorbant in the higher frequencies but it's not in a place that's going to be significant and it's not really that much surface area.  Be comfortable.

Bryan

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2008, 02:13 am »
Of course I did have a 200hZ coffee table when Brj, Marvin and I were shooting and treating my room...pretty funny, wherever we put it in the room it caused a null at 200hZ, take it out of the room, no null.... :lol:  true story...

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2008, 04:05 am »
Hey!

Well, fabric sofa could be quieter because it won't make that farting sound like some leather sofa do when you move your butt.  :icon_lol:

Anyway, personally I like fabric sofa especially one that you could remove the fabric cover to be wash. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

yooper

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2008, 04:41 am »
Hey Buddy,

Umm, Why do you need to wash the fabric on your couch?  aa

Mark

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:11 am »
All my furniture is leather and when I have room treatments up, the sound is great.  I'm not convinced the choice of material is going to make that big a difference, assuming you treat the room adequately.

giantsteps

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:50 am »

Sometimes I just wonder whether I am on the right medication . Fuck the sofa fabric and enjoy the music! :thumb:

Frank

loki1957

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2008, 12:36 pm »

Sometimes I just wonder whether I am on the right medication . Fuck the sofa fabric and enjoy the music! :thumb:

Frank

Amen brother, and also go for which ever is more comfortable.

pecker

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2008, 12:53 pm »
I had a soft, cushy, fabric listening chair, and replaced it with a soft, cushy leather chair.
There is definitely some reflections of the sound going on near my head in this new chair. It's actually kind of annoying. Placing a large square of acoustic foam against the seat-back...between my back and the chair seems to help, but it's not as comfortable that way.

Turnandcough

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2008, 01:11 pm »
Hey Buddy,

Mark

If he had a leather sofa he could just hose it down.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2008, 03:59 pm »
On the RealTraps site, Ethan Winer discusses the acoustic signature of his leather sofa pre- and post- covering the top with fabric.

Yes, and the audible improvement in sound quality and imaging is even greater with the thick fabric than the graphs might imply. I urge everyone to try it for themselves before dismissing the damage done by a reflecting seat back. Take the thickest blanket you can find and fold it over at least twice, then listen for five minutes. I doubt it will take more than five seconds to hear the difference. However, this applies only if you typically listen with your head in front of and below the seat back. If you sit up straight and your ears are higher and have air behind, then it probably doesn't matter. Me, I like to slump down and be comfortable. 8)

--Ethan

arthurs

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2008, 04:03 pm »
Hey Buddy,

Mark

If he had a leather sofa he could just hose it down.

But at that point you should just sit on a plastic tarp and not bother with the sofa.... :o

martyo

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2008, 04:45 pm »
However, this applies only if you typically listen with your head in front of and below the seat back. If you sit up straight and your ears are higher and have air behind, then it probably doesn't matter. Me, I like to slump down and be comfortable.

Not to sound like a snob, I have always thought that was just basic listening protocol; chair, sofa, or whatever back not above one's shoulders or so.   :o

mca

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2008, 04:52 pm »
Sometimes I just wonder whether I am on the right medication

After reading your last bunch of posts, I am wondering the same thing...

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:16 pm »
Hey Buddy,

Mark

Hey!

C'mon! Do I have to explain to you guys! :lol: Well, let's just say I tend to be accident prone with a girl around  aa

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

giantsteps

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2008, 06:55 pm »

C' mon guys ...give me  a break.. do you really think my main weekend squeeze gave a fuck what fabric we were humpin' on?

Frank

Carl V

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2008, 07:09 pm »
However, this applies only if you typically listen with your head in front of and below the seat back. If you sit up straight and your ears are higher and have air behind, then it probably doesn't matter. Me, I like to slump down and be comfortable.

Not to sound like a snob, I have always thought that was just basic listening protocol; chair, sofa, or whatever back not above one's shoulders or so.   :o

Agreed, surrounding your head in either a cloth or leather cocoon has consequences.

But as other's have noted just how far do we take "sound" VS comfort & visual esthetics.

giantsteps

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2008, 07:22 pm »

I appreciate your concern .  :thumb: Most of my life I was surrounded by boxers . You have beautiful examples. I' m trying to convince my landlord that I need a dog in my life...I would love a Bulldog....sired by champions they cost roughly 3thousand bucks  

Frank