My Piccolo

JakeJ

My Piccolo
« on: 15 Nov 2007, 02:25 pm »
Hi All-

Thought I'd post a link to my (finally) completed Piccolo. I have been using it for about three months and am very satisfied with it. I used Wima caps throughout the circuit and decided on an upgraded Hammond enclosure that allows the battery pack to be inside. Thanks a bunch Jim for keeping the DIY torch alive. :D A fun project that allows some latitude in the build and aesthetics. About $140 total investment and for that the sound is absolutely fantastic. Was using a step-up transformer and the Piccolo eliminated the hum that was driving me nuts. I am spinning vinyl almost exclusively now.

s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/hifi_hobby/?action=view&current=Piccolo_done.jpg

Big Jim

Re: My Piccolo
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2007, 03:35 pm »
That's a nice case. I think I've seen it before. It's extruded aluminum with plastic end caps.

Great job.   8)

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2007, 06:36 pm »
Thanks Big Jim,

Yes, extruded aluminum, available from Mouser. The end panels are also aluminum the black plastic wraps around and joins the main housing to the end panels. Essentially a trim piece. I think this is the one.

Had the lettering made as a sticker at a local sign shop. They made two for $35 (the minimum charge). If any one is interested I would be happy to sell it for $15 postage included.

JakeJ

vinylkid58

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2007, 07:01 pm »
Thanks Big Jim,

Yes, extruded aluminum, available from Mouser. The end panels are also aluminum the black plastic wraps around and joins the main housing to the end panels. Essentially a trim piece. I think this is the one.

Had the lettering made as a sticker at a local sign shop. They made two for $35 (the minimum charge). If any one is interested I would be happy to sell it for $15 postage included.

JakeJ

Nice work, looks great in that case. Could you post the Hammond part # please, I'm going to be ordering the parts for mine soon.

I'll take the sticker if I'm not too late. You accept paypal?

Jeff

JakeJ

Re: My Piccolo & Your Sticker
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2007, 09:32 pm »
Thank you, vinylkid58-

Here is the data sheet. Hammond part #1455L1601. Be advised: use the drill guide included with the half kit. If you print it out from the .pdf the scaling may come out wrong. I found out the hard way! :duh:

*Sale Pending* to vinylkid58 on the sticker.

JakeJ

analog97

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2007, 12:39 am »
Thank you, vinylkid58-

Here is the data sheet. Hammond part #1455L1601. Be advised: use the drill guide included with the half kit. If you print it out from the .pdf the scaling may come out wrong. I found out the hard way! :duh:

*Sale Pending* to vinylkid58 on the sticker.

JakeJ

Wow, maybe that was MY problem when I built the PICCOLO!!

tubesforever

I have the same box at home.....
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2007, 12:55 am »
I am going to remove the Piccolo from my Cornet2 big  box and run mine in the Hammond box exactly as you have done.

Thank you for the heads up on the scaling for the cut outs.  This is very appreciated.

I expect it to be just a tad quieter, which will be better in my application.

tketcham

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2007, 01:36 am »
Nice, Jake. Very professional looking.

It's encouraging that people with pretty decent systems are using the Piccolo for lomc cartridges. I figure that if you like the sound, then it must work ok with my modest system. I had Jim Hagerman build one with a custom range of settings. Well worth the money.

Tom

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2007, 04:54 pm »
Hi Tom,

Overall I am happier with it than I was with a step-up transformer.

To those about to build- I have a couple more construction tips that I picked up during my build that I felt I should share.
1) When drilling the holes, I found if I used a step-drill bit such as the Irwin Uni-bit it gave me clean precise holes that did not require any "clean-up" of edges with a countersink.
2) Since I used a single sheet type sticker for the lettering I had to go back and cutout an area around the ground thumb-nut equal to it's diameter so I got good contact. When there was vinyl material covering the chassis I had some minor hum. The other holes I simply trimmed to the edge with an Exacto knife.

Cheers,
JakeJ