DPL-10 Dipole specific Design

Kevin Haskins

DPL-10 Dipole specific Design
« on: 10 Nov 2007, 12:15 am »
Here are the production parameters on the DPL-10, our 10" dipole woofer using an XBL^2 motor with nearly 20mm of x-max.   These are designed from the get-go for dipole operation.   The goal is two of them, per side in a folded dipole arrangement.   You can obviously do things like W, H, U or just a straight baffle.   I'd say run over to John K's site and pick up a copy of his software.   Its a pretty sophisticated Excell spreadsheet for dipole design.   I have a copy but I'm ashamed to say not spent any time with it yet.   

I'm working on a folded baffle design that fits under a 12" wide baffle with a pair of EX-6.5s on top.   The goal is full-range dipole kit that is affordable and kicks some booty.   

If you want to play with just the raw driver, they are $95 each or you can order four @ $350 plus shipping.   These are not real heavy to ship so shipping should be pretty affordable.   

Here are the T/S parameters.

Re:  6.5
Fs: 23Hz
Qms: 4.7
Qes: .91
Qts: .76
mms: 99g
cms: .47 mm/N
Vas: 73L
Sd:  333 cm^2
BL: 10.2
SPL: 81.7
X-max:  19mm

I can already short-circuit the emails for those of you modeling this in a box.   Heh!  Its only a 10" and it takes a HUGE box!   Of course it does, its made to run on a baffle without one. 

I can also already answer people who have concerns about the sensitivity.   Its not low, not if you want something that plays deep on an open baffle.    Its exactly what is required of a dipole driver on an open baffle that plays down to 20-30Hz.    If it was more sensitive, it wouldn't play that deep!   The only way to increase sensitivity is to increase the BL or decrease the moving mass.  Both methods will push the f3 on the baffle up, and you end up equalizing (adding power) to get it back to where it was to begin with.   Power is power.... you need a lot for dipole operation whether you equalize your way there or use the electromechanical properties of the driver.     

Here is the 2Pi response in an infinite baffle.   

These are in stock and I'll try to get the web development to get them on the site tomorrow.

« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2007, 08:59 pm by Kevin Haskins »

vactor

Re: DPL-10 Dipole specific Design
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2008, 04:07 pm »
hi kevin. happy holidays!  had a question on the DPL 10 as well as 2009 stuff :D   i cannot find any driver dimensions for the DPL 10 on the website. got a pdf with a breakdown per chance?  additionally, i was wondering if there are any plans for a non IB 10" shallow(er) mount xbl^2 10" sub?  thanks, and have a great holiday!!

TerryO

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2008, 07:11 pm »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm working on a folded baffle design that fits under a 12" wide baffle with a pair of EX-6.5s on top.   The goal is full-range dipole kit that is affordable and kicks some booty.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kevin,

Is this the long awaited "Rheticus" OB design?

If so, I believe (please correct me if I'm mistaken) that his actual given name was Georg Joachim von Lauchen.

BTW: That woofer looks like the real deal!

Best Regards,
TerryO

AUDFILE74

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2008, 06:15 pm »
hi kevin, how hi up can the dpl-10 play before it starts to breakup?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2009, 06:03 pm »
hi kevin, how hi up can the dpl-10 play before it starts to breakup?

Sorry, missed your question.    It is about 400-500Hz before you start to see break-up in the frequency response.   

AUDFILE74

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2009, 09:52 pm »
thanks kevin, this is good news. it looks to be an 8 ohm driver. i think it will be a perfect fit for an idea i am working on.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2009, 10:40 pm »
Here is the frequency response and the impedance measured on a 4'x 8' baffle, sitting about 18" above the plane of the ground firing upward in my warehouse parking lot.     It took these sometime this summer so I guess I'm thinking about another driver with the 500Hz breakup.   Sorry for the misdirection.     

The first break-up is at 1.2K so that gives you plenty of clean response above the crossover.    The dip around 310Hz is probably baffle/measurement related.  The mic is about 1.5M away from the plane of the 4'x8' baffle.  Any of my gated measurements are pretty much becoming suspect down around 200-300Hz.    The T/S simulation of the woofer is probably a better way of determining what goes on down low.