Modded AVA Fet Valve 550EXR (SOLD)

Wayne1

Modded AVA Fet Valve 550EXR (SOLD)
« on: 29 Oct 2007, 05:08 pm »
This is my personal amplifier. I believe I am the third owner of this amp.

Manufactured July 3, 2004.

I have owned this amp for a bit over a year. I have changed out quite a few parts internally. There is no warranty.

The stock AC cable was removed and an Acme Audio IEC connector was installed.

All of the internal signal coupling caps were replaced with Sonicaps of the same value. Sonicap Platinums were use to bypass the main input coupling caps. The cables from the input connectors to the circuit boards were replaced with single crystal silver. The speaker output wiring was replaced with BOLDER Nitro and the speaker fuse holders bypassed.

The internal power supply regulators had the diodes and capacitors replaced. The main diodes and bypass caps for the high voltage supply were also replaced.

The case has been removed and replaced many times. during this process, some of the screw heads snapped off. Here are a couple of pictures to show what they look like.

The modifications are fairly extensive and do change the sound of the amp. It has been compared to a stock FetValve of the same vintage and the owner of the other amp did prefer the sound of the modded unit.

BOLDER Cable does not and will not offer mods to AVA gear. This was a personal project. I have had the amp for a year and I have enjoyed it.

It is now time to move on to a different project.

I would like to get SOLD for the modded amp. I do have the original box and packing I will ship FedEx Ground to the lower 48 States. Shipping not included. Shipping weight is 40.25 lbs from zip 80128.

Thank you,
Wayne
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2007, 07:07 pm by Wayne1 »

Wayne1

Re: Modded AVA Fet Valve 550EXR
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2007, 07:24 pm »
Here are some pictures of the interior that show some of the mods done to it.

This shows the new input cable to the boards and some of the capacitor changes.

The amp will come with the Siemens ECC81 tubes with HAL-O tube dampers. The amp bias was set to these tubes per Mr. Van Alstine's instructions.

A closer look at one of the boards. You can also see the silver plated, ceramic fuses used in the high voltage section. These are the same rating as the stock fuses.

Here is the high voltage power supply board. The rectifiers were recently replaced with Fairchild Stealth diodes in the larger package. I was using HexFREDs in a TO-220 package, but they did not hold up under turn on surge. There has been no problem with the Fairchilds.

I will accept SOLD or best offer.

The amps in stock condition originally sold for about $2,000.00. The mods are worth about $1,000.00.

Here is a good chance to obtain a one of a kind modded amp for less than half price.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2007, 07:07 pm by Wayne1 »

TomW16

Re: Modded AVA Fet Valve 550EXR
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2007, 02:27 am »
I can't believe that this hasn't been scooped up already.

Tom

Wayne1

Re: Modded AVA Fet Valve 550EXR (Sale Pending)
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2007, 06:40 pm »
Thank you for the comments, Tom.

The sale of this amplifier is pending an audition.

I have shipped the amp out to the potential buyer so he can listen to it in his system.

Wayne1

Re: Modded AVA Fet Valve 550EXR (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2007, 07:09 pm »
The amp has been SOLD.

The buyer auditioned it in his system and compared it to a few other well known amps.

carusoracer

Modded AVA Fet Valve 550EXR for sale
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2010, 03:09 pm »
I'm sure that I will regret letting this one go. I was the person that bought this from Wayne. It has been a very good Amplifier and has really stood up against some strong contenders in my system.

The Amp is exactly as seen in the photo's it now has a Black Sand Silver Reference Mark V Power Cord that really brings out the sound, and can be sold with the Amp for $275. Price for the Amp is $1500 plus shipping.
Wayne has been kind of enough to answer any questions but everything has been listed here regarding the Amp. The Siemen's tubes and Herbie's Halo's are included. This is a very nice Amp with a sweet midrange, great power reserve and control.

Please be aware that modifications were not performed by AVA and this amp has no warranty with their company.

Thanks for looking

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2010, 04:05 pm »
Sweet deal, Caruso!  :thumb:

However, the thread title on the hompage says "(SOLD)". You will get more hits if it clearly states the amp is for sale.

Good luck with the sale,
Jerry

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2010, 06:03 pm »
How can I change the title? :oops: Does Wayne have to edit?

Try making a new 'For Sale' post and paste a link to this thread.  :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry