FS: Modwright SWLP9.0 Signature with upgrades NEW PRICE

AB

I am selling my beloved SWLP.

This unit is pretty special.
It has the Tube rectified power supply and the MWI capacitor upgrade.

It's been upgraded with a DACT CT2 stepped attenuator, a Blackgate WKz smoothing cap in the power supply and both AC Bybees and analog output Bybees.

Here are a few pics:

The power supply.

The Preamp.

The unit is in perfect condition.
Selling for $3700-Was $3450.00-NOW $3250.00shipping within the US included. Paypal include 3% please.

This SWLP is as good as Modwright could make it. The build quality is top notch and the sound is phenomenal. I really thought this was my last preamp - especially since it has such a superb phono section. But, alas, this was not the case.

Like I said I love the SWLP and I am VERY sorry to sell it but I have a new baby...

Hello! :thumb:

« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2007, 10:02 pm by AB »

AB

Re: FS: Modwright SWLP9.0 Signature with upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2007, 07:32 pm »
Rather than the usual bump here is a short blurb I wrote for an A'gon discussion regarding the SWLP.

I had my SWL upgraded to the SWLP. The SWLP has the outboard tube rectified PS, all new Modwright Caps and the phono stage with it's 6C45 and 6N1P tubes. The linestage section uses the same 5687 tubes as the SWL.
My SWL was in the rack for 14 months or so and I enjoyed it immensely. I felt its strongest attributes were its quietness, it's detail and its dynamics - especially its dynamics. I would not say it was at all tubey. It was neutral/linear. I would also say it was never harsh or too detailed.
I upgraded to get the outboard tubed PSU because I wanted an even darker background silence and I want a phono pre to add vinyl to the mix in the near future.
The SWLP showed up about a month ago and it's been burned in for about 250 hours now.
All I can say is that this is no SWL. The improvements in sound stage width and depth, warmth, detail - top and bottom - and over all musicality are tremendous.
The SS is more holographic, images are a bit more diffuse but still solid. The background is absolutely black and detail is just everywhere in the music. The SWL's dynamics are still there. The bass is SWL-like but sounds to me to be a bit deeper and more subtle/refined than with the SWL.

My SWL had the DACT attenuator and a blackgate smoothing cap in the PSU. These were swapped into the SWLP. The rest of the chain consists of a BAT VK600SE and Andra II speakers. I have been swapping in three different CDPs - a Modwright Sony 9100es with its tubed PSU, a Stage 2 JD100a and a Parts Connexion Ultimate Denon 3910. No TT yet so no info on the phono stage. Someday...

I had been going back and forth with the SWL and a First Sound Presence Deluxe II until the SWLP arrived but it's been SWLP full time since.
The FS is a fantastic pre but the SWLP is just more sweetly musical. There is just more "magic" with it than with the FS. The detail seems to be the same between the two. Channel separation seems to be the same and they are both absolutely dead quiet. The FS is just one step - or a few? - more clinical than the SWLP.

I think The SWLP strikes a very nice balance between warmth and accuracy. The music is all there - top to bottom - and it's got that big, non fatiguing sound too. I love it.

AB

Re: FS: Modwright SWLP9.0 Signature with upgrades - new price!
« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2007, 03:21 pm »
Price adjustment bump.

Was $3700.00 Was $3450.00 Now $3250.00

I'll post it to Audiogon this weekend.

To replace this unit today you would pay these prices:

SWLP with tubed PSU and MWI cap upgrade - $4500.00

BlackGate smoothing cap - $200

DACT CT2 - $250

Bybees Analog and AC - $400

Total $5350.00

This is a phenomenal pre.The built in phono is magical ( I didn't get to use it much but I did get to hear it in friends systems!) :thumb:

These upgrades DO make a huge difference -
The DACT allows for a clearer midrange at all volumes and especially at lower volumes.

The Blackgate smoothing cap gives a darker, quieter background plus a smoothness across the entire freq range. It gives this already very dynamic preamp a more refined dynamic presentation. I don't want to use the term "polite" because this pre is not polite. It's more a James Bond kinda preamp - polite when the ladies are around but capable of kicking ass when the need arises. You know what I mean. :green:
I am told this cap is no longer manufactured and is currently selling for more than $200 - if you can find one.

The Bybees? I am told they make things quieter. But...ah, you got me there. :scratch:

The unit has about 700 - 800 hours on it and is in perfect condition.

Questions? PM me.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2007, 10:03 pm by AB »

AB

Re: FS: Modwright SWLP9.0 Signature with upgrades NEW PRICE
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2007, 08:04 pm »
Bump

:thumb:

AB

Re: FS: Modwright SWLP9.0 Signature with upgrades PRICE DROP #2
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2007, 04:12 pm »
Newer Price

$3450.00