Ripping to FLAC for Apple-how to?

Thump553

Ripping to FLAC for Apple-how to?
« on: 12 Sep 2007, 07:22 pm »
I was explaining to a friend the other night the wonders of my FLAC based audio system and she asked hwo she could rip her CDs to FLAC on a Mac.  Since I know nothing Apple, I was stumped, but I figured this was the place to ask to get her headed in the right direction via software, procedures, etc.

Wayne1

Re: Ripping to FLAC for Apple-how to?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2007, 07:38 pm »
MAX is the most popular ripping program using .flac for the MAC.

You can also search here for more links for MAC programs using .flac

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2007, 08:39 pm »
Amadeus Pro (audio editor) does it too, and batch-converts as well, but doesn't retrieve the CD track info like MAX. On the other hand, you can only change encoder settings, destinations etc in MAX by going into your Preferences, whereas Amadeus gives you dropdown menus for that stuff.

I use FLAC too, as I want cross-platform compatibility without the requirement to use iTunes as I would have to do with Apple Lossless. I usually use VLC to play them.

PS, don't bother with MacFLAC, it has been broken since at least OS X 10.3 and is apparently abandonware. The other programs listed apparently require you to compile code. (They need to update their site.) Stick with Max, or Amadeus if you also need a really good audio editor.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2007, 08:57 pm by dB Cooper »

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2007, 03:10 am »
MAX works for me, Thump.  I haven't tried Amadeus Pro, but I don't need an audio editor.

dB's right about changing encoder settings, etc. in MAX requiring a few more clicks of the mouse than I'd like, but it only takes a few seconds.

Bucky

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2007, 02:53 am »
I use XLD.

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2007, 04:38 am »
I use XLD.

Never heard of it.  Have you compared it to Max or any other FLAC-capable OSX ripping program?

How's the interface?  Are you satisfied the ripping process is as accurate as possible?

I apologize for all the questions, but I'm always in search of something better.

TIA  :thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2007, 06:11 am »
I use FLAC too, as I want cross-platform compatibility without the requirement to use iTunes as I would have to do with Apple Lossless. I usually use VLC to play them.

For anyone who is just going to use their Mac, iTunes & apple lossless is slick & easy to use. And you can always export apple lossless to any format supported by iTunes.

dave

reddmadder

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2007, 12:37 pm »
Hi,
 I just went on an extended trip away from home and wanted to take some tunes from my Olive flac based music server,so this is what I did.
 Bought a 160 gig Western Digital pocket drive for $89.00 from Costco.
 Transferred half my library to the WD dive in flac (only about 1,200 songs...I ran out of time before I had to leave.
 Went on the net and downloaded MAX, I had to convert my flac files to mp3,itunes can't read flac.
 It went pretty smoothly,my only limitation is my laptop which doesn't have much space left.
 I still have all my songs in flac on the drive,it won't delete them unless you want MAX to do so.
 I'm currently writing this while listening to my tunes on my Grado 80's...sounds fantastic ,believe it or not...makes you think about what you really need to get sound that involves ya.

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2007, 01:02 pm »
For anyone who is just going to use their Mac, iTunes & apple lossless is slick & easy to use. And you can always export apple lossless to any format supported by iTunes.

dave

True statement, and that was my plan when I moved to Mac about a year ago.  However, while A/Bing the two formats in my system, I discovered Apple Lossless doesn't quite measure up.  It wasn't anything I could readily put my finger on, but something was definitely amiss, an anomaly my wife confirmed. 

AL wasn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, and if I had begun this path with a Mac, I doubt I'd have even tried FLAC.  But that wasn't the case, and FLAC clearly sounds better to us.  Maybe 'more real' is a better way of putting it.

Both formats are read natively by my source (a modified Slim Devices Transporter), so I was able to perform direct (and exhaustive) comparisons (I really wanted there to be no difference :( ).  But the results were consistent, which forced me question the equality of lossless formats.

I wish that weren't the case, but it only takes a few minutes to rip with Max, and navigating via the Transporter's GUI is quick and easy. 

For reference:  Mac Pro --> wireless router --> Transporter --> Butler Monad monoblocks --> SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s

avta

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2007, 02:03 pm »
I had the same impression as DU when comparing AL to flac from Max. I'd used EAC in the past with a Windows based computer and think Max rips compare favorably. It's all pretty subjective but I've been happy with Max.

mcullinan

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2007, 02:09 pm »

dave

True statement, and that was my plan when I moved to Mac about a year ago.  However, while A/Bing the two formats in my system, I discovered Apple Lossless doesn't quite measure up.  It wasn't anything I could readily put my finger on, but something was definitely amiss, an anomaly my wife confirmed. 

AL wasn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, and if I had begun this path with a Mac, I doubt I'd have even tried FLAC.  But that wasn't the case, and FLAC clearly sounds better to us.  Maybe 'more real' is a better way of putting it.

Both formats are read natively by my source (a modified Slim Devices Transporter), so I was able to perform direct (and exhaustive) comparisons (I really wanted there to be no difference :( ).  But the results were consistent, which forced me question the equality of lossless formats.

I wish that weren't the case, but it only takes a few minutes to rip with Max, and navigating via the Transporter's GUI is quick and easy. 

For reference:  Mac Pro --> wireless router --> Transporter --> Butler Monad monoblocks --> SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s

For real.. damn, Ive been making everything Apple Lossless, can you just import FLAC right into Itunes? Does SB3 play FLAC files natively?
Mike

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2007, 02:26 pm »

This was true for me as well until I changed the file-type setting to have Slimserver convert the Apple Lossless files to WAV before sending it over the network.  Prior to that, I had the file-type setting converting the AL files to FLAC.  Setting it to Apple Lossless --> WAV put them on equal footing...

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2007, 02:35 pm »

This was true for me as well until I changed the file-type setting to have Slimserver convert the Apple Lossless files to WAV before sending it over the network.  Prior to that, I had the file-type setting converting the AL files to FLAC.  Setting it to Apple Lossless --> WAV put them on equal footing...

How do I do this, or is it a standard setting?
Mike

PhilNYC

« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 2007, 03:28 pm »
Mike

From the Slimserver web interface, go to "Server Settings" and then "File Types".  On that page, make sure "Apple Lossless -> WAV" is checked, and that all other Apple Lossless options are unchecked.  Then click the "Change" button to confirm the settings...

Double Ugly

« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2007, 03:31 pm »

Interesting.  I've always had my computer convert the files to WAV first, but I still hear differences.   :dunno:

Mike

Go into "Server Settings", select "File Types" and you'll see three incidences of Apple Lossless beneath "File Formats".  Ensure the only box checked aligns with WAV beneath "Stream Format" and you'll be in business.  :thumb: 

In absence of having the 'WAV' option for other formats you may be using, I suggest selecting FLAC, assuming you aren't using iTunes as your music browser.

Bucky

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2007, 12:25 am »
I use XLD.

Never heard of it.  Have you compared it to Max or any other FLAC-capable OSX ripping program?

How's the interface?  Are you satisfied the ripping process is as accurate as possible?

I apologize for all the questions, but I'm always in search of something better.

TIA  :thumb:

I didn't do an indepth comparison of the FLAC files from the two programs.  XLD has a simple interface and is very quick.  IMHO Max has a cluttered interface, I like simple. The developer also updates the software pretty often (unlike Max) so I feel it is more up to date (i.e. FLAC version)..

pardales

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2007, 01:02 am »
This is interesting. So, the Slimserver software (for a Transporter or Squeezebox) can convert ALAC to WAV on the fly? I may have to get a squeezebox and give this a try.

I only use MAC's; I have an iPod and iTunes so i'm not willing to convert all my ALAC files to FLAC and change interfaces-or use a PC, but seeing if my files sound any better  through a squeezbox and/or as WAV files sounds like a worthwhile experiment.

mcullinan

« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2007, 01:08 am »
I tried the suggestions made and there was a definite improvement in sound with apple lossless files. Thanks Btw!
mike

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2007, 01:48 am »
I don't use a squeezebox or slimserver. Is this where people are noticing differences between ALAC and FLAC? If the formats are truly lossless, there shouldn't be any. Are people hearing differences in direct playback? I haven't investigated much at all, but have converted the same files to both formats and the file sizes are almost identical.

VLC also plays ALAC (and FLAC) on Windoze, OS X, and Linux.

Double Ugly

« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2007, 01:56 am »
This is interesting. So, the Slimserver software (for a Transporter or Squeezebox) can convert ALAC to WAV on the fly?

Yes.  Obviously it won't (can't) create a WAV file from a lossy format, but the supported lossless formats can be converted to WAV before the signal is sent to the SB or Transporter.

Additionally, I came across the FLAC Encoding Guide for Mac site tonight while investigating XLD.  The site offers easy to follow step-by-step instructions, and though I haven't tried the full procedure yet (only downloaded xACT after reading the instructions), my next rip will be in accordance with the author's instructions. 

All in all very promising IMHO!  :D

I don't use a squeezebox or slimserver. Is this where people are noticing differences between ALAC and FLAC? If the formats are truly lossless, there shouldn't be any. Are people hearing differences in direct playback?

Yep, at least in my case.