Listening to the LS-6's and LS-9's side by side

S Clark

Listening to the LS-6's and LS-9's side by side
« on: 8 Sep 2007, 05:20 am »
Eat you heart out :green:--I just got back from a nice listening session in Danny's living room.  I heard the LS-6's perhaps 18 mo. ago and was blown away with the ease in which they recreated detail with precise soundstage.  They were absolutely, without doubt, the best speakers that I had ever heard.  Well, they lost that designation this evening.  The LS-9's powered by Gary's monster amps just did everything that the 6's did, with even more clarity and a seriously bad attitude towards anything that dared approach 20 Hz. They left me struggling for vocabulary to explain what I heard that was better than the 6's, because it's not that they were different sounding, just clearly a step up. I don't believe that I have ever before listened to a recording trying to determine if the piano that I was listening to was a Baldwin or a Steinway. That's just how realistic this things are.

Thinking that part of the difference was the amps, I had Danny hook up the 6's as well as the 9's.  We went back and forth until it was abundantly clear that the difference real and significant. 

One day Danny will probably top the LS-9's, but for now, these are the finest audio experience that my old ears have ever had the pleasure to listen to.  Without a doubt, these guys (Danny and Gary D.) are a bad influence on me.  Every time I hear the latest version of their stuff, I go home a little (or a lot) less contented than I was when I left.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: Listening to the LS-6's and LS-9's side by side
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2007, 02:57 am »

Thanks for the little review.

What I wanted to hear though is that there really is not that much difference so I can go ahead with LS 6s instead of 9s.

Rocket_Ronny

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2007, 04:27 am »
You will not be sorry that you built the LS-6's.  The 6's are pretty dang imposing and the 9's--- I compared them to the monoliths in 2001: A Space Oddessy when I first walked into Danny's living room.  They are massive!!!
I have no doubt that if you build the 6's, you will not replace them with another set of speakers for a very, very long time.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2007, 03:10 pm »
S. Clark,
Thanks for that little tid-bit of info, good stuff! I cannot wait for my 9's. aa

John

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2007, 03:47 pm »
john, are you going to get your 9's wired with silkworm wire? :drool:
marvin

jn316

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2007, 05:41 pm »

Thanks for the little review.

What I wanted to hear though is that there really is not that much difference so I can go ahead with LS 6s instead of 9s.

Rocket_Ronny

Yeah, me too!  :cry:
Hmmmm, if I take out that wall, move that plumbing, etc... I might be able to do the 9's.
 :scratch:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:12 pm »
john, are you going to get your 9's wired with silkworm wire? :drool:
marvin

I would LOVE to Marvin but couldn't afford it! At around $3 an inch it would get rather costly....wonder how many feet of wire are going to be in those beasts?
I think I'd be scared to ask......  :lol:

How are your Mandarinas doing, opening up some more?

Best,
John

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:34 pm »
wonder how many feet of wire are going to be in those beasts?
I think I'd be scared to ask......  :lol:

I'll letcha know.  :wink:

Cheers   :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2007, 07:04 pm »
LS-9's need about 80 feet of wire, and because of the current demand they will need heavier than 26 or 23 gauge wire too. I wouldn't use less than 16 gauge.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2007, 10:27 pm »
LS-9's need about 80 feet of wire, and because of the current demand they will need heavier than 26 or 23 gauge wire too. I wouldn't use less than 16 gauge.

Oh well shoot, that's not to bad, it would only be about $19,000 for 80 feet of 16 gauge but to be safe maybe we should go with 14 gauge at $29,000 for 80'! :lol:

Is it 80' for the set Danny or for the pair?

John

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2007, 10:35 pm »
80 feet of wire for the pair. Unless you use external crossovers then you might have to add a little to that.  :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2007, 11:41 pm »
What are the efficiency numbers for these monsters?  ANd what would you recommend for power?

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2007, 12:44 am »
I conservatively rated each of them at 91db with a 1 watt/1 meter standard.

Keep in mind though that a point source will have to have 97db sensitivity to equal its output at 4 meters (listening distance).

jn316

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2007, 07:30 pm »
Danny,
I was going to ask you this at RMAF, but here it goes now. Do you think the LS9's need a subwoofer? It appears that they go really low (teens) by themselves and it sounds like it is really quality bass, so wouldn't anything but a top-notch, bottom dwelling sub mess up what is already very good bass?
Gary

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2007, 07:39 pm »
They play the cleanest, fastest, and tightest sub bass I have heard. I can't think of any subs that can do better.

jn316

« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2007, 09:26 pm »
Alright, quit dancing around the answer and give it to me straight.
 :lol:
Thanks, Danny. See ya at RMAF...I might have more questions for ya!
 :thumb:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2007, 11:02 pm »
Do you think the LS9's need a subwoofer?

Now that is funny!! :lol: I'm not laughing at you jn316, I'm laughing with you. I heard them this past weekend and the first thing that popped into my head was the guy a while back saying that it was impossible for them to go low! :lol: :lol: :lol: Believe me, they go lowwwww.....

Regards,
John

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2007, 11:08 pm »
That's 'cause you heard 'em in Texas, where the laws of physics are different y'know.

Ever seen the fish in Texas?    :lol:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45051.30

Cheers

jn316

« Reply #18 on: 4 Oct 2007, 03:40 am »
Do you guys plan on using a sub with them for HT use? I've got a thread going on AV123 about this and am really wondering if anything but the best of the best subs can add to these guys. I don't want to use a sub that is going to take anything away from the already great bass that the LS9 is producing, and I think most subs would do just that...degrade the bass. What do you guys think?
Gary

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #19 on: 5 Oct 2007, 02:35 pm »

Danny:

If the LS 9's are the best speaker you have heard, where would the LS 6 and OB 7 fit on a scale of 10.

So the LS 9 would be a 10.

My guess would be the LS 6 would be a 9 and the OB 7 a 7 out of 10.

Is that about right.

Rocket_trying to figure out how he can shoe horn a pair of LS 9s into the living room and still be married_Ronny