Omega (Sub)Woofer And The Frog At The Bottom Of The Well

bprice2

Re: Omega (Sub)Woofer And The Frog At The Bottom Of The Well
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2007, 03:55 pm »

I'm not sure I follow Louis on the removal of the ring.  From this picture can you even tell I have an elastic ring?  And, if so, can anyone point me to where it is in the picture? 

Louis, sorry about the dirty speakers.  Didn't realize it till I put the flash on it.  How embarrassing.  :oops:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2007, 04:20 pm »
I'm not sure I follow Louis on the removal of the ring.  From this picture can you even tell I have an elastic ring?  And, if so, can anyone point me to where it is in the picture? 

Louis, sorry about the dirty speakers.  Didn't realize it till I put the flash on it.  How embarrassing.  :oops:

I think its here... I checked and I'm ring free.

bprice2

« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2007, 04:45 pm »
I think its here... I checked and I'm ring free.
Got it!  Rings now removed from all 4 drivers.  Now I'm going to take a listen.  Looks like another day shot.  Working out of the house is way too distracting.

bprice2

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2007, 05:38 pm »
Did you know...

Patty Griffin does not have a high-pitched, ball-peen hammer to the head sounding voice.  No...it is instead a rich sounding, silky, velvety, and soulfull sounding voice.  It didn't take long listening to clearly hear that removing those rings made a big difference.   aa

Let's talk about Omega subwoofers!  :drool:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2007, 11:14 pm »
...It didn't take long listening to clearly hear that removing those rings made a big difference. 

Let's talk about Omega subwoofers!  :drool:

Good!

As far as subs, how about bipolar speakers with integrated active hemp subs? Two 8" drivers per cabinet?

ZLS

« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2007, 12:33 am »
 aa  From your mouth to Louis's ears. 

JDK1

« Reply #26 on: 24 Aug 2007, 01:01 pm »
Hi Louis:
I'm really looking forward to finishing my basement sound/media room, so that I'll have a real home for my system and including (hopefully) a Sub. Any chance that we can get some pictures posted (perhaps in contrast to the XRS)? - I think that the specs that you have already provided are great...
Thanks, Jonathan

ikakenewa

« Reply #27 on: 27 Aug 2007, 12:33 am »
Have ordered my sub from Louis in Macassar ebony and am awaiting word!

Will report back asap on how it tames the wild but beautiful beast of the XRS's.

Also, I'd removed my rings awhile back. Def makes a difference. 

Ika

sluntz

« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:35 pm »
After reading this thread, I removed the elastic ring from the hemp upgrade drivers on my Super 3Rs.  That is a heck of a tweak and really cheered up my evening.

Steve Luntz

jrebman

« Reply #29 on: 2 Sep 2007, 06:57 pm »
Anybody have dimensions?  total height from floor, width, depth?

Thanks,

Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #30 on: 2 Sep 2007, 07:01 pm »
Hi Jim,

If you take the dimension of this speaker:
http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/compacthemp.html

and add spikes (I think the spike height *might* be adjustable), you'll get the DeepHemp dimensions.

There is also a post with more DeepHemp info here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=44563.0

Best regards,

Vinnie

jrebman

« Reply #31 on: 2 Sep 2007, 07:04 pm »
Vinnie,

Thanks -- I'll check it out.  Now get back to writing on your forum :D  You're killing me with the suspense :D.

-- Jim

Jampot

« Reply #32 on: 2 Sep 2007, 07:06 pm »
Jim,

Louis's post (linked by Vinnie) quoted the volume as 0.577 (cubic feet I guess) and I have read somewhere that it sits below a max hemp like a stand so presumably has a similar footprint.

Other than that, I guess we must wait until Louis gets back from Greece.

Have to hope that is going OK for him.

(another) Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #33 on: 2 Sep 2007, 07:32 pm »
Vinnie,

Thanks -- I'll check it out.  Now get back to writing on your forum :D  You're killing me with the suspense :D.

-- Jim

I hear ya, Jim!  I'm just trying to cover for Louis while he is away  :lol:

ikakenewa

« Reply #34 on: 26 Sep 2007, 05:44 pm »
Hi all,

Was thinking about writing something of a review about LC's new sub as paired with the XRSs but can simplify things for everyone by urging anyone who considers their XRSs slightly too hot (but who still, like me, loves everything else about them) to just go ahead and order one. Sub, that is.

Even if you love your XRSs as is order the sub anyway.

I am floored, pretty much. If you've been following this and other threads for a while you may remember that I had some compatibility issues betw/ XRSs and my system and considered that the speakers were slightly strident. I loved the focused bass but missed the punch of a bigger driver.

I've got punch now, wonderfully controlled degrees of it. Rich, musical bass. The sub's driver is incredibly fast and tight. Nothing gloopy or muddled. THere's an audible degree of cooperation betw/ the speakers and sub now--is that possible?: The sub disappears. A weird audio illusion takes place where the bass seems to come from the cabinets of the XRSs.

And, as all Omega owners know, it is a gorgeous work of minimalist art, a Macassar ebony cube floating on BIG brass spikes...

I don't know what alchemy has taken place but the improvement is nothing less than astounding.  Seriously, we know the dangers of subjectivity in audiofoolia but I cannot recommend the sub highly enough.

I've also been listening to an old Creek 4140 series 2 integrated which I think mates perfectly with the XRSs. Having been a tube head for the past few years I really thought I'd never hear myself say this, but the Creek blows away my Aikido tube pre/Fisher monoblocs combo.  Not even close. And the Creek was only two hundred bucks on A'gon. The XRSs love clean SS power, methinks.

JC 

Louis O

« Reply #35 on: 12 Oct 2007, 12:19 am »
Hi Jampot,

The volume is actually much higher and the alignment is a .577
This is the magic # I use and all ported designs are converted sealed box alignments.

Hi ikakenewa,

Great news indeed and so happy how it all worked out. I'm so thrilled with the sub too and it's eerie how it blends in with the XRSs and the 8" speakers. I tried to figure out the best alignment, and the right driver that would play deep and also be fast. The cone material being the exact same formula as the all the other drivers is a big plus.

This driver is OEM Omega and John, Jason and I really worked hard to getting it done.

Thanks so much and thrilled your enjoying the Deephemp.

Louis

Louis O

« Reply #36 on: 12 Oct 2007, 12:20 am »
Hi Jampot,

The volume is actually much higher and the alignment is a .577
This is the magic # I use and all ported designs are converted sealed box alignments.

Hi ikakenewa,

Great news indeed and so happy how it all worked out. I'm so thrilled with the sub too and it's eerie how it blends in with the XRSs and the 8" speakers. I tried to figure out the best alignment, and the right driver that would play deep and also be fast. The cone material being the exact same formula as the all the other drivers is a big plus.

This driver is OEM Omega and John, Jason and I really worked hard to getting it done.

Thanks so much and thrilled your enjoying the Deephemp.

Louis

Jampot

« Reply #37 on: 13 Oct 2007, 03:36 pm »
Thanks Louis, for the clarification.

I know you don't have the atlantic pearl in the current finishes, but is it still possible for you to obtain it to build a deep hemp to match my existing Super 3s and XRS's?

Yep, I have a pair of each and will hopefully have you fit the new drivers before they finally come home to the UK (they are at my daughters home in Rye, Westchester just now).

One or even 2 deep hemps in a matching laminate would be the icing on the cake!

Jim

Louis O

« Reply #38 on: 17 Oct 2007, 12:02 am »
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your post and I'm sure that I can get the finish. I don't remember Atlantic Pearl. It may be Red or Black Parisian maple, no worry though as all the old finishes are available.

Great to hear they are at your daughter's in Rye and this is very close to me. I'll work everything out and make the driver swap. I would be more than happy to build the Deephemps in the matching finish. The system will sound amazing and the amps are set up for 220 and 240 volt so you won't have to convert the AC.

Please have your daughter call me @ 203.847.2800 and I will go over everything with her.

Thanks again,
Louis

Jampot

« Reply #39 on: 17 Oct 2007, 05:22 pm »
Thanks again Louis,

My mistake - it was artic pearl I think, kind of blue flecked finish.....

We will be in touch - My wife and I may visit for New Year, so perhaps we could all have a ride over in the first week of January.

Will call nearer the time.

Jim