GAS Reference Recording

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
GAS Reference Recording
« on: 30 Jul 2007, 02:20 pm »
Our new Dennis Bergin recording is a treasure. It sounds very natural and quite how I remember the concert. Thanks again to Dennis, John and all involved. I am hearing some clipping on a couple cuts and wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. It may just be my equipment, as my TacT amp is very sensitive to digital clipping/overload. Anyone else care to comment on the recording?
Chris Hoff
BPT

steve k

Re: GAS Reference Recording
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2007, 03:56 pm »
I agree, it has a very natural sound. There isn't the long reverb times people generally expect from pipe organ/church recordings but  that makes the performance and recording that much more precise. I asked Dennis about this and his comment was that the organ and church are very unforgiving because of the acoustics. I found the combination perfect for the French pieces in particular where the colors of the instrument were really emphasized.  I don't think I heard the distortion you're referring too (must have been all that distortion in my tubes.) :lol:

Which tracks did you hear it on?
steve

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2007, 05:28 pm »
Steve:
Tracks 1 and 8. I have had a chance to play around a bit more today and looks like I'm just pushing the tweeters too hard (gotta play those organ recordings loud--oh yeah). I only have 2 or 3 recordings that do this, so I incorrectly blamed the recordings. The other recording that immediately comes to mind is the Reference Recording of Copland--those bass drum whacks are killers. Let's hear some more comments about our first recording from our other members--remember this is supposed to be a common reference disc for GAS members.
Chris
BPT

sturgus

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2007, 12:57 am »
Chris, Steve,
I also agree about the naturalness of the sound. I am amazed at the dynamic range. Sometimes I think the amps are gone to run out of steam. You can hear the space of the sanctuary and how intimate it is. When I listen to track 6 I just know I am in a church. The thing that gets me the most is being at the recording and watching Dennis work so hard, the performance sounds effortless. For a small group like ours this is really a big step.
Sturgus

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2007, 01:09 pm »
Sturgus:
Agreed. Dennis was really workin' it and the result was awesome (a new workout video is planned). Playing this large, complex instrument at such a high level of skill seems almost Zen-like. It takes complete immersion of mind, body and soul. With such a pure recording you can definitely hear the intimacy of a smaller church and subtle mechanical sounds of the organ--very cool.

Had a chance to hear the masters of the GAS recording at John's house and they are even more truthful to the event.

Chris
BPT

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2007, 11:13 am »
Let's hear some more comments about our first recording from our other members--remember this is supposed to be a common reference disc for GAS members.
Agreed Chris,
Immediately upon receiving the disc in the mail I had to hear Toccata and Fugue "at volume". So, without delay I started the disc at normal listening volume while the family ate dinner so the tubes and drivers could get loosened up. After dinner I went down to make an attempt at cracking some drywall.  :wink:
The organ sounds wonderful, I've got a few recordings of Toccata and Fugue and have been looking for the 'perfect' version. Well, this is it. Bar none. A little bit of shuffling around noise in the background, but otherwise a nice recording.
Dennis, did a beautiful job creating music, and John archiving it. Nice job guys. Kudos!
With the exception of T&F in it's entirety, I've not had time to listen to the entire disc yet, just a quick scan so far. But this ones a keeper.
Thanks to all involved

I assume with a reference track, we're all suppose to compare notes?
Bob

carusoracer

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2007, 12:46 pm »
Sounds like a great time and effort for GAS :thumb:

I would like to obtain a copy if possible? Would someone PM me...

Cheers

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2007, 01:24 pm »
We're in the process of going through all the legalities of being able to release recordings for sale.  Hopefully, that will happen in the next month or two.  Our goal is to be able to have them at RMAF if all goes well.  At the very least, I'll have a couple for listening purposes.

Bryan

avta

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2007, 02:05 pm »
Count me in  too. I'd love to hear the cd.
Guy

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2007, 03:21 pm »
We're in the process of going through all the legalities of being able to release recordings for sale. 
For now, couldn't it just be considered "very appreciated" or maybe "very appropriate" that one make a donation of $__.00 to obtain a copy?

You could say the disc is free, but "shipping and handling" is $10 or $15?

Is that a legal (temporary) solution?

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2007, 03:26 pm »
Unfortunately not.  It would be no different than giving away copies of Dark Side of the Moon or any other music. 

Long story but we'll get through it.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2007, 06:11 pm »
Understood Bryan. Let me know if I can help.

Bob