Mark's custom HT3-based home theater system

jsalk

Mark's custom HT3-based home theater system
« on: 8 Jul 2007, 05:55 pm »
About two years ago, Mark purchased a pair of HT3's, an HTC center channel, HT1's for surrounds and a subwoofer, all for his Boston-area family room.  This year it was time to pull out all the stops for a dedicated home theater. 

This was a large project with a number of companies involved. The company chosen to do the installation suggested another line of speakers.  But Mark informed them that the speakers were not in play. 

As we discussed the requirements for his project, it soon became obvious that every speaker in the system would be customized to a certain extent.

Here is a picture of the entire setup...

Mark chose to have three HT3's up front behind a transparent screen.  But there was no room for rear porting.  So the speakers were all side ported.  The left HT3 was ported to the left, the right HT3 to the right and the center HT3 to either side.

Just inside the left and right mains will be two massive subwoofers.  The cabinets were designed to be the same depth as the HT3's and all other dimensions were adjusted accordingly.  The drivers in these 15" subwoofers are massive - almost 50 pounds each!.  The port lengths were so long, we had to fold the ports into the cabinets.  As you can see, the drivers are offset to one side of the cabinet.  The ports take up much of the other side of the cabinet internally and continue across the bottom of the cabinet, exiting on the sides.

On top of the subs you will notice a pair of new, custom Veracity bipole/dipole speakers and a pair of modified HT1's.  All of these speakers were designed to be wall-mounted in columns.  For that reason, we limited the depth to 8" for both models.  The width is also the same for both.  And both are down ported.

From a sound perspective, this should be a truly impressive set-up.

We should have more pictures and descriptions available in the next few days.

Mark, here's to a totally engaging cinematic experience!

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Mark's custom HT3-based home theater system
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2007, 05:58 pm »
Very sweet Jim.

george

NL20

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2007, 10:40 am »
Excellent job Jim!   :thumb:

It seems there's nothing you cannot do.. a true professional.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2007, 12:30 pm by NL20 »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2007, 10:48 am »
I'm working with Mark to do the acoustical layout of his room.  It can be a real challenge to get things of this size/performance level into 'hidden' places.  Jim was a pleasure to work with during this process.  He worked through the requirements and IMO came up with some excellent custom designs that I'm quite sure will provide an outstanding audio solution that Mark will be quite pleased with.

Bryan

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2007, 11:29 am »
That is one unbelievable great looking HT Speaker System!  I am curious to know what Mark is using for amps and preamp for the system?  I can only imagine how wonderful this system must sound on a movie like the latest one from James Bond!

Ken 

jermmd

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2007, 12:09 pm »
Wow! When the theater is completed, please post photos. Those subs are humongous! How will they be powered and crossed over? How big is the theater? the screen? what other components will make up the theater? How much did this speaker set cost? What happened to Mark's original HT3's? Did the porting changes require alterations to the crossovers?

Bryan, what speakers did you originally recommend?

I have a bunch more questions but will resist. I love Jim's speakers and think this really can be the ultimate surround sound system.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2007, 01:15 pm »
Mark had already decided on the mains from Jim.  He knew he wanted to stay with Jim for the others - we just had to work out the available space behind the false wall, transparent screen spacing, column sizes, seating positions, etc. and what kind of space that left for speakers of the types we wanted.  Jim was tremendous in working through the process with us.

As for amps, Mark is going to be running Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme SE's across the front and I believe Stratos Stereo Extremes for the 4 surrounds.  For the subs, we needed a bit more oomph and zero chance of ever clipping anything.  For that, we're going with Crown K-1's strapped into mono.  Over 1kW continuous.  Drivers will be on the floor before we clip those amps  aa

For the stereo pre - it will be the Odyssey Candella and utilize the HT bypass function to go to the HT processor (undecided as of yet but probably a Lexicon) for movie usage.

This is one of those that I'm just going to have to find a way to get out there and take a listen after it's all done.  At this point, construction of the room hasn't even started yet so it will be at least a little while longer.

Bryan

fsimms

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2007, 01:46 pm »
Wow! That looks like it will be an incredible system!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2007, 01:47 pm »
Mark had already decided on the mains from Jim.  He knew he wanted to stay with Jim for the others - we just had to work out the available space behind the false wall, transparent screen spacing, column sizes, seating positions, etc. and what kind of space that left for speakers of the types we wanted.  Jim was tremendous in working through the process with us.

As for amps, Mark is going to be running Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme SE's across the front and I believe Stratos Stereo Extremes for the 4 surrounds.  For the subs, we needed a bit more oomph and zero chance of ever clipping anything.  For that, we're going with Crown K-1's strapped into mono.  Over 1kW continuous.  Drivers will be on the floor before we clip those amps  aa

For the stereo pre - it will be the Odyssey Candella and utilize the HT bypass function to go to the HT processor (undecided as of yet but probably a Lexicon) for movie usage.

This is one of those that I'm just going to have to find a way to get out there and take a listen after it's all done.  At this point, construction of the room hasn't even started yet so it will be at least a little while longer.

Bryan

Bryan,

If you do make it up this way, you are more than welcome to stop by my place for a listen.

While I can't match Mark's awesome HT, I think my 2 channel system isn't too shabby.... aa

Since Mark is local, I hope to maybe get a chance to hear the system when it is completed.

George

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2007, 01:55 pm »
I'd love to George.  Not sure if I'll make it up there any time soon but would love to take you up on the offer. If you get to see/hear Mark's system/room before I get there, pelase post your impressions.  In any case, I'll see you at RMAF.

Bryan

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2007, 02:09 pm »

Bryan,

If you do make it up this way, you are more than welcome to stop by my place for a listen.

While I can't match Mark's awesome HT, I think my 2 channel system isn't too shabby....

Since Mark is local, I hope to maybe get a chance to hear the system when it is completed.

George

I have to second George's opinion of his own system.  Although I only had a chance to listen to a few songs, what I heard sounded great.  I also think Mark's system will be killer, although I think not being able to bring the front speakers into the room might limit the overall effectiveness somewhat.  Still, it's a small price to pay so that everything is hidden. 

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2007, 02:13 pm »
They'll have some room to breathe - not 6' or anything but enough so that they should still sound great.  When you do dual use, it's always a compromise unless you just have a huge space to work with.

Bryan

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2007, 02:18 am »
jermmd -

Wow! When the theater is completed, please post photos.

I will ask Mark to send some photos and if he does, I'll post them.  I don't think he hangs around here (although I could be wrong).

Those subs are humongous! How will they be powered and crossed over?

Brian already talked about the amp, but I wanted to add that I recommended an SMS1 subwoofer processor to control these beasts.  That will allow on-screen control of EQ and room measurement as well.

How big is the theater? the screen?

I don't recall exactly how large the room is (although I do have drawings somewhere).  I do recall that the screen size will be 120" in width (not diagonal).

what other components will make up the theater?

Not sure of all the particulars.  We are only supplying the speakers.

How much did this speaker set cost?

I forget exactly, but it was well under $20K

What happened to Mark's original HT3's?

They are still in his family room where they will stay.

Did the porting changes require alterations to the crossovers?

No, no changes are required required due to the ports.  We did measure the impact of the screen material, however, but determined that no changes were warranted in that regard either.

I have a bunch more questions but will resist. I love Jim's speakers and think this really can be the ultimate surround sound system.

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated.  Obviously I am biased, but I think this will be one terrific home theater set-up!

- Jim

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2007, 03:59 am »
That is the most impossibly cool HT rig I've ever seen! :notworthy: :bowdown: :notworthy: :bowdown: :notworthy: :bowdown:

StevenACNJ

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2007, 10:48 am »
Most impressive work  :thumb:

Can't wait to see the completed room pictures.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2007, 11:05 am »
Approximate dimensions:

20 x 16'5" x 7'4"
Seating for 7

Forgot about the SMS-1 - excellent addition.

Bryan

yooper

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2007, 02:58 am »
Bryan or Jim,

Any updates or pics of this set-up?  Is Mark's room complete? 

Bryan, have you had a chance to listen?

Mark

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2007, 03:12 am »
Mark -

Bryan or Jim,

Any updates or pics of this set-up?  Is Mark's room complete? 

Bryan, have you had a chance to listen?

Mark

No updates yet.  The speakers are sitting in crates in our shop waiting for Mark's word to ship.  His room is still under construction and he has no place to store the speakers until it is finished.  I would guess that would be in about two more weeks or so.

- Jim

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2007, 12:33 pm »
Unfortunately, no, I don't get to listen to most of the rooms I design. Once in a while when I'm travelling I get to stop and listen but not often enough.

I really don't know when Mark is going to be ready.  All of the plans have been finalized and the bids went out.  I beilieve he has the contractor lined up and working but no idea as to completion.

Bryan