Okay. . Time to spill your cleaning secrets!

Gzerro

Re: Okay. . Time to spill your cleaning secrets!
« Reply #200 on: 9 Mar 2015, 03:36 am »
anybody still using vpi 16.5 as their primary (sole) cleaning machine, and if so, does it work?
and any advice? 
Most ( all ) of what I see on here is pretty old info.
thx

Vacuum machines like the VPI 16.5 are still very popular and work great.

SteveRB

« Reply #201 on: 17 Mar 2015, 11:02 pm »
The 16.5 works well for most people/LPs.

Do a fluid wash and a distilled water rinse with separate brushes. Better results: use and anti stat gun before cleaning and after. AND put your clean record in a new poly sleeve.

The whole procedure should be 2-4 mins per LP. It is a little labour intensive but the machine is relatively cheap and should last a long time... It's just as good a machine as higher priced vacuums including Loricrafts for MOST people for MOST LPs...

vinyl_lady

« Reply #202 on: 17 Mar 2015, 11:10 pm »
It is a little labour intensive but the machine is relatively cheap and should last a long time... It's just as good a machine as higher priced vacuums including Loricrafts for MOST people for MOST LPs...

The VPI is an excellent machine and does a very good job of cleaning records and might be sufficient for most people. However, as someone who has owned and used a VPI 17 and currently owns a Loricraft PC-4, the Loricraft does a far superior job of cleaning LPs and the difference justified the price differential IMO. YMMV

ACHiPo

« Reply #203 on: 19 Mar 2015, 04:06 am »
The VPI is an excellent machine and does a very good job of cleaning records and might be sufficient for most people. However, as someone who has owned and used a VPI 17 and currently owns a Loricraft PC-4, the Loricraft does a far superior job of cleaning LPs and the difference justified the price differential IMO. YMMV
Laura,
Just checked out the Loricraft on a US website.  After hearing about it for years, I finally took the time to see it and read about it.  Looks like a big step up from VPI or NittyGritty, but its cost is getting into the ultrasonic range.  It'd be interesting to do a comparison between Loricraft, Audiodesk, and Klaudio.

AC

ctsooner

« Reply #204 on: 7 Apr 2015, 02:22 am »
I've heard the Lorricraft a lot and it's still not as good as a DIY ultrasonic cleaner using 60HZ transducers.  nice machine for sure, but not the same league

vinyl_lady

« Reply #205 on: 7 Apr 2015, 02:33 am »
The Audiodesk does a better job than the Loricraft. I think the Loricraft is better than the wand vacuum cleaners like VPI and Nitty Gritty.

ACHiPo

« Reply #206 on: 7 Apr 2015, 03:42 am »
Good info.  Thanks.